Part 107 Explanation/Breakdown - Great Article!

Just like getting a Ham radio license....only every 2 years were a Ham license is 10. The test will be interesting to see , and what happens if one fails.

I would imagine that's perfect. The TSA screening is the screening entity so they will check their own database and you should be good. That's a HUGE assumption though and I doubt it would be any quicker since it most likely is done in the order received.
When I called, they said it was simply a check of the no-fly list, not a full background check.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

How high can a drone fly for hobbyist/recreational only purposes,

according to new rules, for August 2016?

Up to 400 feet or 500 feet?

Sent from my nice iphone6s+

using PhantomPilots mobile app

The new rules only apply to commercial operation. Basically it's a lite version of what the section 333 exemption did.

Hobbyist still falls under section 336, which states you will follow a national organization's series of guidelines (aka. AMA), which state no higher than 400ft if you are within 5 miles of an airport.

Debate at will on how binding the guidelines are you are given when you do the sUAS registration, which ask you to stay below 400'

Reactions: BigAl07
If you have a Part 107 can you still fly as a hobby flyer anymore? Or are you held to Part 107 during all your flights (business or hobby)?

And just to be a little confusing with regard to enforcement for the sake of the amateurs, amateur use may now default to part 107 rules if the activity falls outside of guidelines set in section 336 of the 2012 FMRA.
If you have a Part 107 can you still fly as a hobby flyer anymore? Or are you held to Part 107 during all your flights (business or hobby)?
When I read if you are not flying "in compliance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and operate within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization", you will be able to simply conduct your operations under part 107 - I interpreted that to mean if you are not an AMA member flying under their rules, even as a hobbyist you will need to be Part 107 compliant.

Been spinning in circles and getting nothing...typical Gov in action...
- where is the link to apply/register to get a UAS pilot cert?
- where is the class in the link to take the course?
+A person who already holds a pilot certificate issued under 14 CFR part 61 and has successfully completed a flight review within the previous 24 months can complete a part 107 online training course at www.faasafety.gov to satisfy this requirement.

Reactions: Falcon900
Been spinning in circles and getting nothing...typical Gov in action...
- where is the link to apply/register to get a UAS pilot cert?
- where is the class in the link to take the course?
+A person who already holds a pilot certificate issued under 14 CFR part 61 and has successfully completed a flight review within the previous 24 months can complete a part 107 online training course at www.faasafety.gov to satisfy this requirement.

Read the press release. They announced the rules today. Courses and stuff aren't available until 60 days after laws passed. So August.

Wow from $7000 when I started reading this thread to ~$250. Incredible how information can be transformed and misinterpreted. I just want to shoot some real state photos with my P3P / P3A and if I have to pay more than 1000% of what I paid for my small drone to do this. It's total non sense. However less than $200 sounds about right. Moreover just because there's rules doesn't mean the air space is going to be safer. Just look at how many morons drive a car and have a license.

Reactions: ObiDon and flpholt
When I read if you are not flying "in compliance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and operate within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization", you will be able to simply conduct your operations under part 107 - I interpreted that to mean if you are not an AMA member flying under their rules, even as a hobbyist you will need to be Part 107 compliant.

No. I fly outside of 333 and 107 when I fly for hobby purposes and I will never be a member of the AMA. They don't represent my interests.

So, if I have this right, for me to stand on the ground and take a picture of someone's house (for pay), I need to get a license, but if I want to strap a paramotor on my back and fly a powered paraglider, I need absolutely no licensing. That's the American definition of "freedom"....just sprout up rules randomly.

Reactions: theTastyCat
FINALLY!!! Rules that make sense! Rules we can live with, and gladly follow! The other ones were draconian bs!

I had my drone packed up a month ago, and was within an inch of listing it on Ebay...I took one last picture to prove that it all works, and liked the picture and asked others what they thought, and let them decide if it was worth keeping.

I am very pleased with these new rules!

I don't mind rules at all. I mind very much, knee jerk reaction rules that stifle an industry, and stifle me!

I am not unreasonable. I just expect to be treated with the same trust and respect that I give others.

Thanks FAA! I have been bashing you, and RIGHTLY so! However, you have done this right, and I very much appreciate the thoughtful rules!

Of course the question is.... You didn't wait the 60 days for public comment before, why are you suddenly so concerned about following the law now? Hmmm Of course, I am just as excited to take the test as I was pissed that you didn't wait the 60 days required by law before..

So $214 for the initial fee then $159 per year looks like? Well I guess thats a little more reasonable than the thousands initially posted. If your someone thats going to do an occasional gig here and there, might not be worth it. If your going to book a gig every week/weekend that its definitely worth it to cover the costs and then some.

The part about flying over people will likely get scrapped. From what I read on the FAA website (summary of the recommendations made by a focus group comprised of several drone makers *including DJI* and other scientists) the FAA is pretty much opposed to flying anything bigger than a Blade Nano QX over people based on "the high probability the weight of a falling drone would cause great bodily injury given known inertia parameters" or something like that. AKA All DJI quads don't qualify.

Apparently DJI was extremely outspoken and upset that the other panel members would not agree to support any type of drone flights over people.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
The reliability of consumer UAS is not proven. Planes and jets fly over people though!

So $214 for the initial fee then $159 per year looks like? Well I guess thats a little more reasonable than the thousands initially posted. If your someone thats going to do an occasional gig here and there, might not be worth it. If your going to book a gig every week/weekend that its definitely worth it to cover the costs and then some.

Where are you seeing this?

I love all the confusing posts. The FAA data sheet says it all. According to some on this post you need $10k, blood of a virgin, a unicorn horn, a feather from a Hippogriff and the ring of Power. Ok. Got it.

Sounds like a fairly reasonable alternative to the current pilot's license + 333 exemption requirement. I wouldn't mind doing some commercial stuff in the long term, but the financial investment for a pilot's license was a deal-breaker.

The TSA vetting is kinda stupid and wasteful. That's just another example of punishing the law abiding. Those who want to use the drones for nefarious purposes aren't going to bother with any of this.
TSA vetting is for the No Fly List, most likely. Anyone on there should not fly obviously, and think what would happen if they did not do this due diligence?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl