Parazero and FAA

Reaction score
I have to be very careful here but I feel a warning might be in order. You can find prices for the Parazero Safeair parachute system from $199 up to over $1100. The difference being the paperwork that accompanies the complete package vs. just the unit itself. The paperwork is basically the waiver request for "flying over people". My initial request was addressed and the reply was a request for more information. The problem was the information was only available for "the price". If you are a small independent outfit/company it is difficult to justify spending this amount of money for paperwork proving the parachute system on your Phantom will work as advertised. **shouldn't that be included with all Safeair units sold? Bottom line, I included references to FAA studies and all the standards established by the industry and even more detail regarding how the operation would be conducted, in my response, only to submit and receive a denial less than 24 hours later. I don't necessarily expect much in the way of reaction to my rant, but if a similar situation has happened to you, you might want to share.

I watched their video one time and it showed two models. One for hobbyist and one for commercial. There may be even more than that. And a huge price difference. I don't know anything about paperwork. Keep us informed

I have to be very careful here but I feel a warning might be in order. You can find prices for the Parazero Safeair parachute system from $199 up to over $1100. The difference being the paperwork that accompanies the complete package vs. just the unit itself. The paperwork is basically the waiver request for "flying over people". My initial request was addressed and the reply was a request for more information. The problem was the information was only available for "the price". If you are a small independent outfit/company it is difficult to justify spending this amount of money for paperwork proving the parachute system on your Phantom will work as advertised. **shouldn't that be included with all Safeair units sold? Bottom line, I included references to FAA studies and all the standards established by the industry and even more detail regarding how the operation would be conducted, in my response, only to submit and receive a denial less than 24 hours later. I don't necessarily expect much in the way of reaction to my rant, but if a similar situation has happened to you, you might want to share.
That's the first I've heard of this, but if true I think there are several problems:
  • If ParaZero is selling the SAME EXACT hardware in each package but is charging ludicrous amounts for the "paperwork" then shame on them. I know companies do this sort of thing all the time but it still isn't right.
  • This also won't make much sense as the new FAA rules solidify as they pertain to flying over people. With the new regulations, the equipment vendor is responsible for doing the proper testing and verifying to the FAA that it meets the requirements for a particular category. Once that is done, the pilot does not need to apply for any waivers.

Does anybody have an update on this? I'd like to get my 107.39 waiver, at the lowest justifiable cost. If that's the ParaZero at $1800+ a remote to manually deploy the chute, I can accept that, I'm just wondering if there's a cheaper or better alternative in 2021?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20