P4 Anamorphic

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm thinking of buying P4, most of my work is in advertisement and I shoot anamorphic. I also have a moondog labs 1.33x lens(0.0242508pounds) which fits perfectly to Neewer snap-on adapter ring. The neweer snap-on is compatible P3 std and P4 only. I'm thinking of combining them both with P4. Does the additional weight (not more than 14 grams) effect the gimbal, if does is there any remedy? Please, help!

Attachments

• c4e6220a82ba2b06639b55d47a8e184f.jpg
    c4e6220a82ba2b06639b55d47a8e184f.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 750
  • 414838448.jpg
    414838448.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 685
Reactions: pacoreguenga
Welcome to the Phantom Pilots group. I'm afraid I can't help you with your question regarding the weight issue. I don't know anything about anamorphic shooting. Does it change the aspect ratio with video? What advantage do you achieve by using it? Do you have any links to samples you could post?

Hello!
I'm thinking of buying P4, most of my work is in advertisement and I shoot anamorphic. I also have a moondog labs 1.33x lens(0.0242508pounds) which fits perfectly to Neewer snap-on adapter ring. The neweer snap-on is compatible P3 std and P4 only. I'm thinking of combining them both with P4. Does the additional weight (not more than 14 grams) effect the gimbal, if does is there any remedy? Please, help!

The other day I was taking a video in a swamp and I pointed the camera down (p4) so I could make sure to not hit any branches as I decended. I used the shortcut button on the back of my controller to look straight down then back up. I was using a polar pro cp filter at the time. When I switched the camera back up, the rc and ac lost connection just for a second and the gimbal went all wonky and the video stopped recording. I can not say if this behavior was due to the extra weight on the front of the camera but I have never had this happen before using just the camera with nothing on the front. I had full reception bars the entire time and I was only about 350ft away. I tell this story only as a caution when adding weight to the front of the camera. It seems these gimbals have their hands full with the stock camera let alone adding something. Your results may vary.

And welcome to the forum!

The gimble doesn't seem to take much stress well. During an orbiting motion at moderately high speed I've limped my gimble by overloading it with G-Forces. They come back online after a power down and restart

Welcome to the Phantom Pilots group. I'm afraid I can't help you with your question regarding the weight issue. I don't know anything about anamorphic shooting. Does it change the aspect ratio with video? What advantage do you achieve by using it? Do you have any links to samples you could post?
Thank you, anamorphic is typically cinemascope(maybe old) with aspect ratio 2:39:1, please check the link

The other day I was taking a video in a swamp and I pointed the camera down (p4) so I could make sure to not hit any branches as I decended. I used the shortcut button on the back of my controller to look straight down then back up. I was using a polar pro cp filter at the time. When I switched the camera back up, the rc and ac lost connection just for a second and the gimbal went all wonky and the video stopped recording. I can not say if this behavior was due to the extra weight on the front of the camera but I have never had this happen before using just the camera with nothing on the front. I had full reception bars the entire time and I was only about 350ft away. I tell this story only as a caution when adding weight to the front of the camera. It seems these gimbals have their hands full with the stock camera let alone adding something. Your results may vary.

And welcome to the forum!
Thank you

Reactions: pacoreguenga
Hi! I have both a Phantom 3 Standard and a Phantom 3 SE which supposedly has more powerful gimbal motors.
I also have the Neewer filters pack, and on the standard I solved the weight problem with lead counterweights (same as used on car wheel balancing).
On the SE I don't have that problem.
I'm also wanting to try the Moondog Labs Anamorphic Lens on it.

Phantom gimbal motors are brushless. Overloading them, by weight or forgetting to remove claps can't hurt them mechanically, but what can hurt them is the extra heat produced by fighting the overload.

When putting counterweights you are avoiding that extra overload to the motors. It's the same as putting counterweights on an Osmo Mobile when using lenses on your mobile device.

Did this work out? If so I would love to know how it worked and the links to these items as I would love to try it on my P3 Pro.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94