P3P pilot says " I'm Sorry " No charges filed by Police

No I don't want any of it--- but it is coming because of the idiots --and the politicians who want to stick it to the public... they found out they cant do anthing about the idiots, so might as well blame it on the innocent majority. "it's sick out there and getting sicker"
We have the end say if we allow them to use scare tactics and ignorance to define the lives we and our children live. We need to outsource our news media...at least then people might actually question the info they digest. At some point we need to stop the train....it's history repeating itself....so why bother teaching history? The excuse has been to avoid making the same mistakes, yet here we are again. I knew that **** was a waste of time!!!

We have the end say if we allow them to use scare tactics and ignorance to define the lives we and our children live. We need to outsource our news media...at least then people might actually question the info they digest. At some point we need to stop the train....it's history repeating itself....so why bother teaching history? The excuse has been to avoid making the same mistakes, yet here we are again. I knew that **** was a waste of time!!!
Yep and history has been repeating itself for many centuries-- maybe from the beginning-- patriots have tried to break the cycle, but it hasn't happened yet.

I do not see why serious hobby flyers should be worried with some kind of regulations about this.
The new technologies are allowing drones to fly higher and further away and everyday there are heavier drones avalaible. Actually you can nicely fly a DJI S1000+ that is a heavier and more powerful aircraft with the same requirements you fly a 2 inches Nanodrone, that is none.
A line must be drawn about what is a "toy" and usual "hobby flying" from what is an industry tool and commercial operations.

People operating such aircraft must know if the airspace they are using, is restricted in some way or not.
People cannot expect to be able to freely transit the actually highly regulated sky full of aircrafts with "uncontrolled" toys at 10000 feet for instance.
Neither overfly Military installations, Nuclear powerplants, prissions, enter the airspace of a firefighting or rescue operation......all this must be regulated because as you may be aware.....common sense is the less common of all senses :p
Basically hobby flying would be just restricted to stay out of controlled airspace, out of cities or congested areas and below 400 feet AGL.
Same thing the R/C community has been doing for years with no real troubles
This is just common sense regulations and I do not think this would create any trouble to most of the serious drone pilots that will continue flying having fun with their drones under the new regulations.
The smart and respectufl hobby flyer will find in regulations a supporting framework where to continue to operate and having fun with no problems with his hobby while this activity not being stigmatized by the actions of a small group.
Drone Regulations like it or not would be implemented worldwide, that is unavoidable, the question is to make sure that normal and hobby flying is not greatly affected by it.

Last edited:
Reactions: snerd
Yes I mean an FAA pilot's license. It has to do with company risk but there is no other governing body to assure folks have any kind of where with all for flying these drones. This is my company's policy (defense contractor) but I can see where the FAA could adopt this model. I'm not saying they will but since quad pilots don't really have a strong group lobby (like the AMA) this could be the way they go. To get a pilots license the cost is ~7K-9K this might be the throttle point they may be looking at.

Oh boy, a pilots license to fly a drone, thats ridiculous, i really hope it doesn't come to that.
May be that quads are not the easiest to fly at times, specially in manual mode, but a quad and a real plane is a very very big difference, not comparable at all.
There is only one thing needed in drone flying and that is common sense. If you don't have the skills to fly a quad then you start very carefully and train until you get better at flying, when you get more skilled you can continue with more advanced maneuvers.
And its everybody's own responsibility to educate themselves about safety and so forth, but again that is common sense.

Reactions: snerd
Yep that was a P3P that struck two people Memorial Day in Massachusetts during a parade
in Marblehead. Lucky he didn't hit a 95 year old veteran and be facing serious charges.
Wonder what was the cause of the crash? That guy is lucky the Police did not arrest him.

Phantomsphere
Well, I think an important fact here is that it flew into a building first. After that all bets are off. It didn't just fall out of the sky on someone. Why was he flying so close to a building? Even a momentary hiccup could have caused this, when, had he been flying with more space around him, it might not have happened at all.

Yes I mean an FAA pilot's license. It has to do with company risk but there is no other governing body to assure folks have any kind of where with all for flying these drones. This is my company's policy (defense contractor) but I can see where the FAA could adopt this model. I'm not saying they will but since quad pilots don't really have a strong group lobby (like the AMA) this could be the way they go. To get a pilots license the cost is ~7K-9K this might be the throttle point they may be looking at.

ost: 394628, member: 23799"]Yes I mean an FAA pilot's license. It has to do with company risk but there is no other governing body to assure folks have any kind of where with all for flying these drones. This is my company's policy (defense contractor) but I can see where the FAA could adopt this model. I'm not saying they will but since quad pilots don't really have a strong group lobby (like the AMA) this could be the way they go. To get a pilots license the cost is ~7K-9K this might be the throttle point they may be looking at.[/QUOTE]
I knew a guy that flew for United and flew at our Heli field - certainly not the best RC Heli pilot - not sure your license says too much.

I am sure you will not be required to have a full conventional airplane or helicopter license to fly a drone but I am sure that any aviation authority worldwide would require RPA pilots to have demosntrated knowledge about regulations and mos important airspace classification and limitations.
To use the airspace with any flying artifact from a drone to a 777 you need to know what, where and how you can fly in that particular piece of airspace. The type of aircraft is not so important because most regualtions apply the same to the 777 than to a Very Light Aircraft.
So do not expect to have to finance a full conventional pilot license but an specific RPA training and knowledge.
The Airspace have complex regulations and all pilots using it must know them.
As far as I can foresee after reading the latest ICAO RPA manual that came after April meeting and that would be the framework most countries would develop the national RPA regulations, there would be a "hobby" category that would exclude people from the need to obtain a license, but of course that category would be restricted to fly very low and very specic airspaces. Those would be the "toys" and be sure they will not be allowed to interfere with the "regular air traffic airspace" probably by placing some design limitations that would prevent long distance flying and height. So it will be just a toy.

Rest of people that want to fly high and beyond with have to learn to do so within the air traffic system.

You all keep saying don't fly over crowds, don't endanger bystanders, etc...these thing have a +- 5 mile range unless you're flying it in the middle of the desert, ocean, or large lake we are putting some trust in the equipment. I flew in a large park today with some joggers/walkers not far away, am I an idiot? Where do you geniuses fly? Please define exactly what is an acceptable risk. I'm not defending this guy, but you all do understand the range of these birds, right?
OMG, you're my hero!

You all keep saying don't fly over crowds, don't endanger bystanders, etc...these thing have a +- 5 mile range unless you're flying it in the middle of the desert, ocean, or large lake we are putting some trust in the equipment. I flew in a large park today with some joggers/walkers not far away, am I an idiot? Where do you geniuses fly? Please define exactly what is an acceptable risk. I'm not defending this guy, but you all do understand the range of these birds, right?
I've flown in parks with people around, but never flew over the people. But if you notice, the people who "get the shot" by buzzing speed boats up close, race cars, golf tournaments, rock concerts, etc, their videos get featured on the 'net and bcast TV... they're portrayed as innovative and creative, but no one talks about the danger they put their subjects in. I fly in an empty field at the entrance to a state park, no people, no animals, I just fly and fly until I run out of juice. The only beasts I have to worry about are snakes... welcome to Florida pal !

And I think, therein, lies part of the problem. I'd bet many, many pilots are flying their Phantoms in a mode where they really cannot see it - they are relying on the Lightbridge (FPV). If you launch your Phantom, fly just a single mile away and rely on the Lightbridge - I think that's enormously risky. Your "eye in the sky" is not some omnipotent being - you probably have very little idea what's actually going on with your Phantom. People are flying them behind buildings, behind trees, 2 - 3 miles away. Absurd. Look how many of these posts have already been seen like "...I was flying along, minding my own business and went behind a building and suddenly.... REALLY!

How many times have you seen someone post a video where they climb 90 - 100 (or more) into the air and go breezing past gobs and gobs of trees - are they truly maintaining line-of-sight with their Phantom. Personally, I really doubt it.

And I think, therein, lies part of the problem. I'd bet many, many pilots are flying their Phantoms in a mode where they really cannot see it - they are relying on the Lightbridge (FPV). If you launch your Phantom, fly just a single mile away and rely on the Lightbridge - I think that's enormously risky. Your "eye in the sky" is not some omnipotent being - you probably have very little idea what's actually going on with your Phantom. People are flying them behind buildings, behind trees, 2 - 3 miles away. Absurd. Look how many of these posts have already been seen like "...I was flying along, minding my own business and went behind a building and suddenly.... REALLY!

How many times have you seen someone post a video where they climb 90 - 100 (or more) into the air and go breezing past gobs and gobs of trees - are they truly maintaining line-of-sight with their Phantom. Personally, I really doubt it.

My comment on the +/-5 mile range is regarding flyaways or other loss of control. If for some reason the thing decides to fly away and your battery is fullly charged, it could come down anywhere (and on-top of anything or anyone) within about a five mile radius. Therefore, we all put a certain amount of faith in the equipment. I doubt ANYONE, ALWAYS flies there birds in an uninhabited area. I don't like too many people around, but the risk and possible legal consequences I'm comfortable with may be half of what you're willing to assume. What's acceptable risk is really a personal decision at this point. I laugh to myself at those folks that think just because they are not directly over someone they're "safe".

Look there are laws already on the books called personal liability. If a dickhead chooses to fly into a crowd and hurt someone he/she is personally responsible. We don't need more laws. One major lawsuit should challenge any goofball's desire to fly above people.
You hurt someone you pay and possibly get hit with a disturbing the peace citation.

This kind of stuff just flat out pisses me off. Use your freaking head, parade guy. Be responsible and safe for all our safety and benefit.

[Qunderstand how far I can see! E="Evel_Knievel, post: 394500, member: 10789"]You all keep saying don't fly over crowds, don't endanger bystanders, etc...these thing have a +- 5 mile range unless you're flying it in the middle of the desert, ocean, or large lake we are putting some trust in the equipment. I flew in a large park today with some joggers/walkers not far away, am I an idiot? Where do you geniuses fly? Please define exactly what is an acceptable risk. I'm not defending this guy, but you all do understand the range of these birds, right?[/QUOTE]
I understand how far I can see!

I think DJI has all this very nicely explained and covered on its "Phantom 3 Guidelines and Disclaimer" document.
Those of you that have not read it yet, I strongly suggest you do so.

It explains very well what you can do and what you should not do
They have even added a protection that does not allow you start the motors inside a restricted area among other warnings and limitations.

However you can overide some of this limitations but DJI nicely informs you that in that case you must be aware all your flight data and telemetry would be saved and stored on DJI servers.
So people thinking they can do anything they want and break regulations may find that his own reckless flying is nicely registered and stored on DJI servers and probably your local authorities would realize that as well.

I am quite pleased with DJI approach to this, they are providing us with a really great aircraft but they know how harmful for this hobby could be the reckless actions of a few that may trigger bans or absurd regulations so they implemented some measures so we all enjoy our flying but the respectful and correct way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl