P3A Camera/Video help..Not trying to beat a dead horse here...

Reaction score
Tons of posts..threads on video and camera settings on P3A but havent seen to locate a quick answer. Im taking a few fly over videos of our farm and I dont know if I should be adjusting factory settings...heres the kicker..the "default" video setting was 1080 and not 2.7 like my first P3A I owned. Then the frames per sec were not at the highest. Im not the best with the camera terms and knowledge as Im learning currently. I took three brief videos in three different settings of 2.7 and 1080 and the pfs and I honestly could not tell a difference that I hoped. Dont know why the same bird would come with different presets but these family farm videos I need to do tomorrow are really important to the family and I want to maximize the cameras abilities. Reason why 2.7 at highest fps wasnt already set? The interwebs havent been much help so who better than the pros here. Thanks for the help guys

You wont see any difference between 1080 and 2.7K if you are playing the video on a monitor or TV that can only handle 1080 resolution (which is most TVs and monitors). There is still some advantage to shooting in the higher resolution as it gives you more pixels to play with in post processing.

You should notice a big difference between 1080p30 and 1080p60 though, if the video is moving quickly. Just try spinning the phantom around its axis at full speed in both video modes, the difference is day and night. If you're just hovering or flying at a slow speed or high altitude, you wouldnt notice.

Reactions: Mfoster82
You may as well use the 2.7K setting if your computer can play and edit it OK.
In my opinion it does look significantly better on a regular 1080p display, and if you edit and downsize to 1080p later that looks better than recorded at 1080p too though it's rather more subtle.

30fps is fine for most phantom footage which is normally rather sedate - or should be - with mainly slow turns and smooth camera movements
Look at picture styles - 'None' is usually safest option for natural look with no editing.
You can leave the other settings for sharpness, contrast and saturation all default zero. You might consider all on -1 as sometimes it can look a bit too sharp at default, which can make some scenes a bit scratchy e.g. that annoying moiré effect on tile roofs.
Use auto exposure usually 0 EV is OK
Auto White Balance is fine but sometimes it will change to and fro during a scene - you might want to set to sunny/cloudy or manual maybe 5700 just so it doesn't keep shifting.

I keep telling myself that it's best to capture in 4k, but I seriously have no idea how to make *any* use of the benefits of 4k in post - so I think I'm going to start trying 1080p at 60fps!

The biggest advantage is if you want to crop/recenter/zoom and particularly, rotate (gimbal isnt always level) in post processing. If your target is 1080, you can zoom in ~40% with almost no loss in quality. I say almost, because the bitrate per pixel is a tad lower @ 2.7K

edit: oops, even more so for 4K

The other benefit is that even if your current one doesnt, your next TV or monitor probably will support 4K.

Lastly, you could extract still photo's from the 2.7K video that are half decent, at least better than from 1080.

All that said, 60FPS makes a bigger difference to me. So I too generally record in 1080p60

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen