P3 vs P4 on landing?

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have flown a P3 Pro since they came out, and recently decided to retire it and get a second hand P4 Standard from a buddy of mine.

I have always taken off and landed my P3P from the top of my GoProfessional hard case without any issues at all.

In the few days I have had the P4S, I have noticed that during landing, it comes very close to tipping over on touchdown, several times.... It lands, then revs up on one side which causes it to try to flip over on that side...

Is there a difference in the systems that could cause that? Or am I imagining things?

It shouldn’t do that..not normal at all. Might try an imu calibration. If that doesn’t work you may want to download the logs for review here. Many previous posts on how-to. You may need a replacement ESC board (motor speed controller) not expensive but need to open it up. YouTube can help.

Thanks for the input folks... I will investigate a little further... It is really weird... You know how it revs up a bit if you hand catch it and tilt it a little while its spinning down? Thats kind of what it does... This is a unit that has been flown about 10 times, never crashed... Pristine condition. I have done a couple of IMU calibrations, compass, and vision calibrations... I have not been out flying in a little bit as we are dealing with a hurricane clean up lately, but I will see if I can reproduce again and pull the logs.

Much thanks again

Hey folks,

I have flown a P3 Pro since they came out, and recently decided to retire it and get a second hand P4 Standard from a buddy of mine.

I have always taken off and landed my P3P from the top of my GoProfessional hard case without any issues at all.

In the few days I have had the P4S, I have noticed that during landing, it comes very close to tipping over on touchdown, several times.... It lands, then revs up on one side which causes it to try to flip over on that side...

Is there a difference in the systems that could cause that? Or am I imagining things?
Never had a P3, but I had a P4 and now a P4P, and when it's windy I always do a quick take off since they are prone to tipping over. When landing it can do the same, so I always hand catch. So easy to do and so much safer.

Reactions: hilhaf
Ok, here is the video.... As you can see, there was a little bit of wind, but nothing serious at all.... As soon as the drone touched down on the box, I left stick down and hold... As you can see, it revs up a bit and starts to tip over... For the life of me, I don't know why... The P3 I had NEVER did this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sometimes it does.... to the point I am concerned it is going to tip over.... I didnt want to push it trying to get video... The P3 never did that at all

Eesh.... I really don't like using that feature... I like to be hands on sticks at all times... I would have to move to a cleaner spot and land right on the ground as opposed to the box.

You are correct... I assumed that pulling straight down left stick was pretty fool proof, but I suppose anything is possible... I will test next time I am out! Thanks for the suggestion.

Looks to me like it was hesitating landing on the case, as though the sensors were confused about where the edge of that relatively small surface was with a drop off - unless that was your piloting. I know your P3 didn't act like this. It's possible maybe the vision sensors need to be re-calibrated? In any case, I wouldn't be trying to land it on something the size of a case. But maybe that's just me.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic