P3 Battery Life Cycle calculation and what is displayed

Reaction score
A discussion was on another forum where it was claimed the Life Cycle increment of 1 full life was made if charging from 50% state. I maintained that I had never seen that and by memory considered that near 30% still meant two charges to have a full 1 cycle increment.

I decided to test and ran the tests twice.

Battery 1 (OEM) :
Start %: 37% Voltage total : 14.96V Life Cycle count : 85
Charger finished : 96% Voltage total : 16.84V Life Cycle count : 85

Battery 2 (3rd party) :
Start %: 32% Voltage total : 14.99V Life Cycle count : 42
Charger finished : 98% Voltage total : 17.24V Life Cycle count : 43

Battery 3 (3rd party) :
Start %: 61% Voltage total : 15.38V Life Cycle count : 69
Charger finished : 98% Voltage total : 16.85V Life Cycle count : 69

The Voltage totals did vary a bit between the two tests ... lets be honest a battery board like this is not exactly an AVO meter !
What I find interesting are batts 1 + 2 ... that a difference of 5% caused the change.

My suggestion then based on above - is close to what I claimed ... I admit that my previous statement has an error ... but it was from memory in that region.

All FW are latest for RC, AC and batterys.

Plenty 'views' ... and no replies ?

Very interesting results. Just to clarify, when you say life cycle count, you are getting that number from within Go?

Yes .... tap the top right corner menu bars ... then select the battery section. Gives the cell voltages ... and life cycles ... actually number of 'full mAh' charges battery has had.

That was my stance with the other forum discussion that the number is FULL mAh charge values ... not partial.

Yes .... tap the top right corner menu bars ... then select the battery section. Gives the cell voltages ... and life cycles ... actually number of 'full mAh' charges battery has had.

That was my stance with the other forum discussion that the number is FULL mAh charge values ... not partial.
Ok so If I understand correctly, i can pull out my P3 battery (which was put away at 85% and has since autodischarged) and check voltage and charge cycles, recharge fully, and the count won't change?

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
In the past, meaning if newer f/w updates haven't changed the algorithm, cycle counts were based on the addition (recharging) of the battery's capacity determining a cycle.
So to put it another way: two 50%, three 33%, etc. charges, would increment the counter. As was stated this is an approximation subject to errors, rounding, and other factors.

One charge cycle is recorded when accumulated discharge >= the full charge capacity (FCC) being the total capacity of the battery compensated for present load current, temperature and aging effects (reduction in chemical capacity and increase in internal resistance).

As to personal interpretations of the count - my reason for posting the numbers was based on a chat I had with another on a different forum who said he observed an increase of 1 on his cycles when charged from 50%.

I conducted the tests to see if I could show that was incorrect. The problem though with such tests is we are unaware of the counters position with regard to previous charge cycle.

The guy may have already accumulated a 1/2 cycle waiting for the next one ...so when he charged again -he sees a 1 cycle increment.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic