P2 Solo :)

Reaction score
I posted this on RCgroups a while ago today but since I've essentially stopped flying fixed-wing RC, I'll be a regular here and not there. Equipment is of course a P2 with 3D gimbal, Hero4 Silver. I will have to modify (grind some relief in the bracket) the gimbal so it clears the wrench button on the side of the H4.
-------------------

Yippee. Got my Phantom 2 solo out of the way this afternoon in 0-5 Kts of wind. I almost felt the same way when I soloed in a full-scale Cessna 152 several years ago .

Fortunately I still had light fingers on the controller from all of the hours flying fixed wing RC so I didn't over control. I started out with the P2 at about 10' AGL and flew forward and aft, side to side up, down and doing boxes in a small area and frequently landed and took off (touch 'n goes).

To my great surprise, landings were fairly uneventful, I very slowly descended the last three feet or so and then got into a stable hover an inch from the ground and cut power. Of the dozen landings I did, only one time did it tip over and that's because I was momentarily distracted. The training wheels (prop guards) saved the day . Glad I bought them. After I get a few hours of P2 flight time and feel comfortable, I'll remove the prop guards and install the gimbal.

Flying without changing yaw was fairly simple, I was making nice circles near the end of first flight marathon (two batteries.) Unlike fixed wing where the pointy end is always going in one direction, change the yaw and it's a whole 'nother matter I decided, I was flying upwind which is where the sun was and the little P2 was hard to see sometimes.

Fun-fun-fun!

Excellent, glad you're enjoying it, try to catch land though it'll save any tip over.

Safe flying, cheers Mark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4