Osmo (Original) - Having some issues

Reaction score
My local MicroCenter had the Osmo on special (a price I could not justify ignoring). So, I went and got it, and in all honesty, I'm not that impressed. I did the firmware update to make sure I'm not missing out on the latest features, and after taking some sample shots at home, here are my observations/questions:

1. VIdeo size very large, ok this is full 4k
2. Video playback 'stuttering/skipping' on my WIndows 7 computer. I tried multiple players and all have the same issue (VLC and others)
3. Video very grainy - so maybe not enough light at home.

I'll try again tomorrow outside, with a lower resolution but again, so far I'm not too impressed.

Is the Osmo really good and I'm missing the point (doing something fundamentally wrong) or is the unit really 'challenged/challenging' ?

Interested in honest feedback, of course.

Cheers.

If it's too grainy your ISO is too high, in lower light conditions you need to shoot in manual to get your ISO down. You don't want it over 800 max, 400 is even better when you can, outside in bright light keep it at ISO 100 if possible for the least film grain.

Thank you. I did play with the sensitivity and that fixed it. Appreciate the help.

Now, three more issues:

1. There is always some 'crackling/buszzing' noise in the recorded videos
2. The videos are stuttering/jumping, and it's as if the computer can't handle the high bitrate of the movie. But however, movies recorded with a phantom drone play ok.
3. I did a firmware update, but the date stamp still says 2014, as shown below. Any thoughts as to why this is the case?

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:20 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: OSMO_FW_V01.08.02.40.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

What resolution are you running? No need to go to max Resolution, it isn't 16x9. Just run 3840x2160p It's UHD 16:9 format. Also some of the noise you could be hearing in the video could be fan noise, make sure you have the settings set to turn the fan off while recording. Also are you using an external Mic? The build in one is just OK.

I initially ran at the full 4K, but now running at 2.7k only. Video is 'ok', though could be better ... still 'stuttering' and jumping. As for the sound. I tried with an external microphone and it's much better. In all honesty, and besides the gimbal/stability, I'm not too 'impressed' or at least not yet. It seems to me the product has several 'short-comings' and maybe is not fully ready/de-bugged for a wide-audience use. ANy thoughts?

I've been pretty impressed. I haven't used mine a whole lot, I have the Inspire 1 with the X3 and X5 so it just made sense for me to get the Osmo handle.

From your experience, how do the two compare? Osmo (original) vs. Osmo +. The reviews I've found so far are rather 'mixed'.

From your experience, how do the two compare? Osmo (original) vs. Osmo +. The reviews I've found so far are rather 'mixed'.
I personally can't vouch for the Osmo+ I have the equivalent of the Osmo Pro with the Zenmuse X5. One big difference between the Osmo and Osmo Pro is the Pro feels huge in comparison but the image quality and the ability to interchange lenses makes up for it.
Here's a picture showing the size difference between the X3 and X5
IMG_20170323_200606_zpsd9vh8yvk.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic