Obstacle avoidance and bright sunlight

mjw

Reaction score
Out in the west Texas Davis Mountains and flying in the canyons, when I banked back to the west and directly into the very bright, late afternoon sun, as soon as my P4 faced the bright sun obstacle avoidance warnings went off on my controller and the aircraft momentarily stopped in its flight, then continued on, does bright sunlight affect / confuse obstacle avoidance - or am I confused (pls don't explain how to turn off obstacle avoidance, I know how to do that, but when your showing your 12 year old grandson how to fly a drone, all safety protocols are operational)

Yep, I had it happen a few times. Did not know what caused it first then it happened again and figured it out.
Jim
WA5TEF

Unfortunately, so does a bright SPOT LIGHT... LOL... Someone was flying while watching the fireworks, and apparently a boat (possibly) shined a bright Spot Light at it to see what it was. The P4 was low and the light was very bright.. Apparently, the P4 froze up and the operator could not maneuver the drone out of the light.. Kinda like you see on Star Trek, where the beam of light locks you stationary... When the light was shut off, the operator had full control of the P4 again.. Similar occurrences had been posted on different threads.. I guess conditions have to be just right and the OAS hit directly with the light..

Tried it at home, and the light DID make the P4 hesitate and not respond as normal..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164