NYPD Helicopter Chases Drone - MP3. Audio LaGuardia Airport

Reaction score
This radio transmission from ATC LaGuardia Airport and the NYPD Helicopter proves the PV2+ (drone) was no threat. This audio begins at 11:55 on the audio timeline. The NYPD chose to pursue the aircraft because they could not identify it, even calling it a Military Aircraft. Listen to this actual audio transmissions and you decide.

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/klga/NYC-Heli-ClassB-Ops-Jul-07-2014-0400Z.mp3

Re: NYPD Helicopter Chases Drone - MP3. Audio LaGuardia Airp

QYV said:

My apologies, I didn't see where it said what brand it was I just read the audio transcripts where the Helo pilot referred to the Red and Green lights and (I said) PV2+ as an example. For all I know it could have been a Walkera or any other brand for that matter. I was just referring to the PV2+ instead of using their language of a "Drone". My point was, the first reports from the NYPD that the quadcopter nearly crashed into their helicopter when in fact the pilot never made any statements or broadcasts that his aircraft was in danger as his audio was recorded. If anything the NYPD Helo created a dangerous situation by chasing after the quad. Granted, if these guys were flying at an altitude of 2,000' they used bad judgement but there is no proof of that and only the word of the officers. They also said on audio that the quad reached an altitude of 2,000 feet in mere seconds which is also not possible. Bottom Line, there is no crime here and they didn't even know what to charge them with or even if a crime had been committed at the time.

all good brother just tryin to help you find the topic already well underway in other area of this forum :) especially the nyc guys like me have been following this closely since it happened.

you're absolutely right it was a Phantom but in subsequent local news and interviews and such they've said they didn't even have FPV/camera just the raw Phantom, which lends credibility to their claim they weren't flying super high or far away just buzzing around their street above roof level. I can confirm in NYC it's VERY easy to show off all you have to do is take off and BOOM crowd gathers you don't have to go flying thousands of feet up. The VICE article completely spanked the cops (rightfully imo)

regarding the charges, none of the charges relate to the actual use of a drone as it is stlll completely legal to do so, but the cops (again, imo) just went completely overboard with that "recklessly endangering the police helicopter" thing... that's the only criminal charge and like you say it's refuted by the audio evidence.

still, anything is possible and if the cops wind up showing a video or some other proof that the Phantom charged toward the heli or whatever... then screw those guys heh

anyway cheers :)

I agree 100% I am a police officer and I can see the vast benefits of the quads and FPV. No, law enforcement should NEVER use them to invade the privacy of their public but, if I can use a quad with a camera and/or FPV to assist me in finding a lost or missing child, Alzheimer patient, overdo hunter, surveillance of a meth lab or for providing a birds eye view of an area while serving a felony warrant on a known hostile person then YOU BET it should be allowed. Not allowing these aircraft to be utilized to help save a life is nothing short of ignorant and criminal in itself. I never fly out of LOS and rarely use my FPV accept to check my telemetry, battery voltage, or to position my camera. I don't personally condone flying at altitudes above 400 to 500' and I feel that anyone that takes these things up to 2,000' and beyond just to say they can is just asking for trouble. But for the FAA to tell me or anyone else that I cannot donate my time to the family of a lost child, or to say that I can't use my phantom to fly my corn fields to see what irrigation is needed is nothing more than a miscarriage of justice and a violation of my rights. As long as I stay within LOS and 400' or below the FAA should have no say in what I do. Period!!!!

I am tired of people calling our quadcopters drones. Would you call a rc plane a cessna? Or a gas powered rc car a autonomous vehicle? Ahhhhhhh im going to go mow my lawn with my gas ignition powered space shuttle (I.e. lawn mower)

Remember what I said in "My take..." on that story? I knew it was BS! I bet the one at the hospital was a lot of overreactive BS as well!

kymedic121 said:
If anything the NYPD Helo created a dangerous situation by chasing after the quad.

I'm sorry, but isn't it their job to chase after strange things in the night sky...especially after 9-11? And exactly what function did the quad's pilot have being up there? Could someone please remind me?

Edit:
Of course we could just say piss on it, it's only the financial capital of the world, so any ole f@cked-up way should be fine. amiright?

dkeshish said:
I am tired of people calling our quadcopters drones. Would you call a rc plane a cessna? Or a gas powered rc car a autonomous vehicle? Ahhhhhhh im going to go mow my lawn with my gas ignition powered space shuttle (I.e. lawn mower)

I totally agree but with all reality that is the loose legal definition of them. I try to always refer to them as quads or Phantom as this is what I own. I occasionally catch myself using the drone terminology when with others in the hobby but I am very conscious not to do so when in the public. Its amazing the looks on peoples faces in the public when one says the word "Drone". When this happens the public instantly in-visions military style aircraft that we used to blow up entire regions in Iraq and Afghanistan or something used by the CIA to gather intelligence from thousands of miles away. The vast majority of the general public have a poor attitude when it comes to these and that is largely in part of the media and more so because of the "Good Ole Boys" who have an episode of "Here, hold my beer and watch this!" I am retired as my counties Rescue Operations Chief and I have over 20 years experience in technical rescue operations as well as search, rescue and recovery. I will be offering my services to the county in the event of a missing child, Alzheimer patient or lost/overdue hunter. I will be providing this service at no charge no matter what the FAA says and although the public opinion is very poor at best you can rest assured I don't know one parent or family member who would frown or refuse me in helping search for their missing loved ones. I have been in public service my entire adult life and it never ceases to amaze me how how fast public opinion can be swayed if it comes down to helping one of their own. I am currently a deputy sheriff and a paramedic and if this little quad can assist us in identifying a meth lab, gather real time intelligence on a residence where we are about to serve a felony warrant for a known fugitive considered dangerous, or provide on scene logistics of a mass casualty incident such as a train derailment, semi tanker overturned or some other dangerous situation and I can send this phantom in and safeguard our paramedics, EMT's and other responders rest assured this is what I intend to do. If someone want to turn me into the FAA then so be it. I will personally take the hit and face it in a court room. I truly believe these quads and other multi-rotors have a place in our society and we responsible pilots should not be punished or grounded because of the action of the irresponsible few. Please keep in mind this is my personal opinion and NO I am not looking for trouble or spitting in the eye of the FAA. That is just who I am and I stand firmly for what I believe is right no matter the opinion of others. I served my country proudly and I will be damned if I will allow anyone to tell me that I cannot help someone in their time of need because of some ignorant policy that has no logical merit whatsoever. I am new to the quads and RC in general but I always fly with extreme caution and adhere to the 400' ceiling and never leave LOS, not because I can't but because I am not experienced enough yet to do so comfortably. Yes, these aircraft are designed to be used as a hobby platform but they also have the ability to benefit society and to totally excuse them as a practical tool for good deeds is unreasonable and ignorant. Well, I will now get off my soapbox and I apologize if I have offended anyone as this was not my intent.

CarlJ said:
kymedic121 said:
If anything the NYPD Helo created a dangerous situation by chasing after the quad.

I'm sorry, but isn't it their job to chase after strange things in the night sky...especially after 9-11? And exactly what function did the quad's pilot have being up there? Could someone please remind me?

Edit:
Of course we could just say piss on it, it's only the financial capital of the world, so any ole f@cked-up way should be fine. amiright?

I agree with you 100%, but to fabricate, exaggerate or to manufacture a fact or claim in order to justify an arrest is not only unethical but also corrupt law enforcement practices. Absolutely they should investigate anything flying in a congested area at low altitudes but to criminally charge someone for just merely flying a RC aircraft that had broken no obvious laws and to charge them with a crime that they "Stated" and then an audio recording of their actual radio transmission completely contradicts their official statements is wrong on all levels. Yes, if these phantom pilots were creating a hazard, actually flying at the NYPD air unit then yes they should be charged with a crime. To me it really sounds like a case of Contempt of Cop, "This is our airspace and we are gonna get you if you fly in it" It's one thing to investigate and question anything flying especially in that area or any area that looks suspicious but to make a federal case out of it and to exaggerate the facts just to justify a criminal charge is ludicrous and unjust.

kymedic121 said:
...and to exaggerate the facts just to justify a criminal charge is ludicrous and unjust.

Sadly, that's what I've come to expect of the police of today. Incompetent bullies.

wattage said:
kymedic121 said:
...and to exaggerate the facts just to justify a criminal charge is ludicrous and unjust.

Sadly, that's what I've come to expect of the police of today. Incompetent bullies.

I completely understand your expectations but please know that we are all not like this. Some of us still serve and protect the public with heartfelt sense of pride, dedication and sincerity. Yes, there are officers that walk around with a sense of entitlement, that are egotistical and have a complete misguided sense of justice and often times feel that the laws apply to everyone but them. For what its worth and although it is not my place I do apologize for their behavior and for any injustice caused to you, your family or to those you may know. Unfortunately, these people do exist and they do carry a badge but they carry it for the wrong reasons. I have no respect for any officer who misuses his powers or position as a police officer.

kymedic121 said:
wattage said:
kymedic121 said:

I completely understand your expectations but please know that we are all not like this. Some of us still serve and protect the public with heartfelt sense of pride, dedication and sincerity. Yes, there are officers that walk around with a sense of entitlement, that are egotistical and have a complete misguided sense of justice and often times feel that the laws apply to everyone but them. For what its worth and although it is not my place I do apologize for their behavior and for any injustice caused to you, your family or to those you may know. Unfortunately, these people do exist and they do carry a badge but they carry it for the wrong reasons. I have no respect for any officer who misuses his powers or position as a police officer.

Well said. As much as I hate saying that.... coming from living in the LAPD area...

kymedic121 said:
I agree with you 100%, but to fabricate, exaggerate or to manufacture a fact or claim in order to justify an arrest is not only unethical but also corrupt law enforcement practices. Absolutely they should investigate anything flying in a congested area at low altitudes but to criminally charge someone for just merely flying a RC aircraft that had broken no obvious laws and to charge them with a crime that they "Stated" and then an audio recording of their actual radio transmission completely contradicts their official statements is wrong on all levels. Yes, if these phantom pilots were creating a hazard, actually flying at the NYPD air unit then yes they should be charged with a crime. To me it really sounds like a case of Contempt of Cop, "This is our airspace and we are gonna get you if you fly in it" It's one thing to investigate and question anything flying especially in that area or any area that looks suspicious but to make a federal case out of it and to exaggerate the facts just to justify a criminal charge is ludicrous and unjust.

I'm trying to keep my mind open about the "claim" that the police fabricated this story. There has been no proof as of yet.

To your point that the police feel the air space belongs to them, which is an incorrect assertion, but just like on the road, the police should be given deference--they have right of way. Hell they NEED right of way because the job requires it. Even with all the self-loathing you seem to be experiencing, surly you must understand that anarchy can not rule the sky.

You seems to be saying that the police can not be entrusted with this job, so then who do you propose should be doing it?

I think its simple a case of police overreation. They are in the helicopter, doing a tough job..then they encounter something new and strange and scary to them and their vehicle. When something is new and strange, it's human nature to sometimes overreact because it's perceived as a threat.

CarlJ said:
kymedic121 said:

I'm trying to keep my mind open about the "claim" that the police fabricated this story. There has been no proof as of yet.

To your point that the police feel the air space belongs to them, which is an incorrect assertion, but just like on the road, the police should be given deference--they have right of way. Hell they NEED right of way because the job requires it. Even with all the self-loathing you seem to be experiencing, surly you must understand that anarchy can not rule the sky.

You seems to be saying that the police can not be entrusted with this job, so then who do you propose should be doing it?

Man you have taken everything I have said completely from context. If you would watch the national news you would know what the NYPD claimed and then if you would listen to the radio transmission in its entirety you would understand my point. **** man I am a police officer, and no I am not naive enough to believe that every person who wears the badge to be honest, ethical and moral in their duties. Yes there are many **** fine officers in this country and I consider myself one of them. Unfortunately some officers do exaggerate or fabricate just to hook someone up or to justify their actions. I am not saying these officers did this but it does seem that as the facts come out that the agencies first accounts are not as accurate as they lead the public to be. And furthermore Police Officers do NOT have the right of way at all times. Only if we are responding to an emergent situation. If this is not the case then we have no more priority than anyone else be it on the highway or in the air. I am sorry but if you think "Contempt of Cop" doesn't exist then you are sadly mistaken, some of these so called officers in todays law enforcement don't deserve the honor to wear the badge. Any man or woman who thinks he or she is special or should be given special consideration just because they carry a badge is nothing more than a egomaniac who is only there to serve themselves and not the citizens and communities they swore to serve. The badge one wears deserves respect, the person wearing doesn't deserve it by default.

they made a mistake. The police pilots originally misjudged the size, speed and height of the device (they originally thought it was a full size military drone and ascended multiple thousands of feet in seconds as stated in the recording) but once they realized they were dealing with a tiny recreational UAV instead of simply moving on to some "real" police task (you can't tell me that nowhere in the city was a better use of their time & effort) they doubled down on their dumbassery and charged the Phantom pilots, probably because they themselves don't even understand what these guys were doing wasn't wrong.

again, I'll try to be fair and state that we're _assuming_ the Phantom pilots were NOT acting or flying irresponsibly, and got out of the way when the police heli showed up as they and all the ground witnesses stated. They could all be lying. *shrug*

kymedic121 said:
I am currently a deputy sheriff and a paramedic and if this little quad can assist us in identifying a meth lab ...
Given that the majority of current production is done by the "shake-and-bake" or "one-pot" method, a "meth lab" will fit in a gym bag, and most of the process can be done in a two-liter bottle. I'm not sure what a UAV can do to to assist in that; the best surveillance for that is the security cameras at the stores where they buy the components.

In fact, the meth cooks may shoot down your Phantom just to snatch the battery.

kymedic121 said:
Man you have taken everything I have said completely from context. If you would watch the national news you would know what the NYPD claimed and then if you would listen to the radio transmission in its entirety you would understand my point. **** man I am a police officer, and no I am not naive enough to believe that every person who wears the badge to be honest, ethical and moral in their duties. Yes there are many **** fine officers in this country and I consider myself one of them. Unfortunately some officers do exaggerate or fabricate just to hook someone up or to justify their actions. I am not saying these officers did this but it does seem that as the facts come out that the agencies first accounts are not as accurate as they lead the public to be. And furthermore Police Officers do NOT have the right of way at all times. Only if we are responding to an emergent situation. If this is not the case then we have no more priority than anyone else be it on the highway or in the air. I am sorry but if you think "Contempt of Cop" doesn't exist then you are sadly mistaken, some of these so called officers in todays law enforcement don't deserve the honor to wear the badge. Any man or woman who thinks he or she is special or should be given special consideration just because they carry a badge is nothing more than a egomaniac who is only there to serve themselves and not the citizens and communities they swore to serve. The badge one wears deserves respect, the person wearing doesn't deserve it by default.

Ok first, this is a forum and you're allowed equal time. If you feel I'm being unfair you have every right to call me on it, so can we dependence with the crying?

No one is suggesting that there are not good cops and bad cops, hence the open mind. I'm waiting for the case to go to court so I can get a clearer understanding of the facts. You're not required to wait, tar and feather away.

Here's my issue with what you've said.

1) You yourself are a police officer
2) Given your familiarity with the job, you don't trust cops--or at least some cops
3) You seem to be suggesting that there might be a better way

Here's my question, what is the better way?

And in closing you might think that I'm upset with what you're saying, and I'm not. I don't understand it, but I do respect the fact that you've explained what you believe, and that you continue to do so.

And you are correct that the police only need right of way in the commission of their duties, but I thought that would have been understood.

Werz said:
kymedic121 said:
I am currently a deputy sheriff and a paramedic and if this little quad can assist us in identifying a meth lab ...
Given that the majority of current production is done by the "shake-and-bake" or "one-pot" method, a "meth lab" will fit in a gym bag, and most of the process can be done in a two-liter bottle. I'm not sure what a UAV can do to to assist in that; the best surveillance for that is the security cameras at the stores where they buy the components.

In fact, the meth cooks may shoot down your Phantom just to snatch the battery.

Unfortunately in my region we are not facing many shake and bake methods or the smaller labs in the trunks of cars. We live in a very rural county with our largest town only having one traffic light. Our meth labs are mainly large operations found in sheds, outbuildings or in the woods. The reason being is because our geography permits this. Its easier to hide and the lab and this also facilitates bulk manufacturing with the larger operations (as much as 100lbs or more for one cook depending on the size of the operation). We have had a few shake and bake labs and several have resulted in car fires. Shake and Bake are more unstable and require more skill. A meth cook must be ever so vigilant while operating shake and bake or the result will be fire or explosion. The large multipot cooking methods are much easier, less forgiving and produce more product at once.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl