NYC Police will be using drones over Times Square during New Years celebration

Saw this on the news this morning. Would love to see their request for authorization to fly over crowds. I assume the NYPD is getting the required authorizations from the FAA?
If flying over people is illegal, then it should be I L L E G A L for them too P E R I O D (.) lil dot at the end of the sentence!! **** double standards should be abolished!

On the subject of tethered to the ground .... that is probably media misinformation.

If you check out 'drone' videos of sports in stadiums - you will see flying wires where the drone is flown along a wire.

Technically the Drone is 'tethered' to a system that is anchored to system that is anchored to the ground. This removes the risk element of falling onto people.

I doubt very much that the NYPD were going to have a line going from the ground to the body of the Drone !! Even a fool can see where that can go !! But not media !!

Nigel

If the tether also provides power then the drone can stay aloft for hours which is what you'd want for an event like this. They are not looking for mobility but a high vantage point.

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj