NOTAMS for Ag Operations

Reaction score
Okay, so with the advent of part 107 it is my understanding that we don't need, in most cases, to petition for a section 333 exemption. However, wouldn't it be prudent to file a NOTAM for Ag ops to notify aerial applicators of UAS ops? Does anyone know how to go about this?

Nevermind... I have found my answer, I think. NOTAMS only need be generated when flying under a COA that requires one. So how do I lessen the chance of my $30,000 ag drone getting blasted by a crop duster?

Last edited:
I've used 1800wxbrief.com to establish my flight area, day and time each time I fly a job, even in unrestricted areas. I don't know how often other pilots check these maps, but at least I've made it potentially known that I am in the area. Free registration on the site and then choose the UAS pull-down, and then "Planning".

We've filed dozens (maybe more) NOTAMS over the last few years. It's a GREAT idea to do so.

We've filed dozens (maybe more) NOTAMS over the last few years. It's a GREAT idea to do so.
So, does it actually create a NOTAM without a COA number?

Admittedly, I don't quite understand the system. You are only allowed to create a NOTAM on the site if you have a COA number, and creating one without a COA is apparently a no no. But the site does allow you to establish a UOA (UAS Operating Area) on a map with area and duration so that manned aircraft can be aware of it. That sounds like a NOTAM to me, but apparently, it isn't. I fill out the form without using the "Have service create a NOTAM" option. As long as something is posted about my intended use of the airspace and is made available in briefings under a UOAs heading, I figure it can't hurt -- even if the FAA doen't consider my "notice" to be an official NOTAM.

The site disclaimer states: This service is not to be used for recreational UAS flights. (Submitting a UOA without a NOTAM for recreational flights provides situational awareness to other airspace users.)

I assume the service they are referring to is the option of having them submit an official NOTAM. So it sounds like simply submitting a UOA still provides awareness to other airspace users -- which is all I want to do whenever I'm in the sky. If I am wrong, I would appreciate someone setting me straight on this.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I don't quite understand the system. You are only allowed to create a NOTAM on the site if you have a COA number, and creating one without a COA is apparently a no no. But the site does allow you to establish a UOA (UAS Operating Area) on a map with area and duration so that manned aircraft can be aware of it. That sounds like a NOTAM to me, but apparently, it isn't. I fill out the form without using the "Have service create a NOTAM" option. As long as something is posted about my intended use of the airspace and is made available in briefings under a UOAs heading, I figure it can't hurt -- even if the FAA doen't consider my "notice" to be an official NOTAM.

The site disclaimer states: This service is not to be used for recreational UAS flights. (Submitting a UOA without a NOTAM for recreational flights provides situational awareness to other airspace users.)

I assume the service they are referring to is the option of having them submit an official NOTAM. So it sounds like simply submitting a UOA still provides awareness to other airspace users -- which is all I want to do whenever I'm in the sky. If I am wrong, I would appreciate someone setting me straight on this.
Thanks. That is what I THOUGHT but was not sure. So submitting the UOA will place the notice on services like SkyVector.com, but does not create an official NOTAM. Am I correct? I hate to keep beating this horse, but I really am concerned with the best and most effective way to make aerial applicators aware of my presence. I had no problems last growing season, but then it was a much more maneuverable (and EXTREMELY less expensive) P4P. This year we will be heavily on sugar beets (which rely primarily on aerial application) with an M210 and $16,000 worth of sensors.

Possibly. I'm not sure how "DROTAMs" show up on SkyVector.com. They might be the registered UOAs. But yes.. submitting a UOA does not automatically create a NOTAM. You have to chose that option and fill out additional info - and only if you have a COA.

Your not beating a dead horse. It's pretty confusing and unclear.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj