no more prop guards for me

Reaction score
I've had prop guards since the day I got my V1.1.1, 2014, and felt very happy with them especially as I Hand catch, but yesterday I was flying fpv with the wife as spotter, it was a bit gusty at the time and suddenly there was a zzzzzzzziiiiiiiippppppppp, I knew what the sound was, a prop hitting the guard,maybe about a dozen clips as I was turning left,not sure if it was the prop dropping down or the guard being blown up,or a bit of both, stationary there's a 1/2" gap between the two.
I didn't notice it with my fat shark goggles as the gimbal was doing it's job, but the sound from the ground was loud enough to make me land right away

the thought of a prop breaking has now made me takeoff the guards but I'll have to be more careful with my hand catching.
I'm also a believer in the prop guard fixing under the motors being a help to stiffen the motor mount hopefully to avoid cracking on the mount so my spare set of slightly marked prop guards I've cut the guards down to only the center boss and screwed them back on

Attachments

• SDC11561.JPG
    SDC11561.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 518
If you remove the prop guard be sure to put back the original shorter screws or else motor damage.

Reactions: 750r
The props will flex a lot more than you would think. I was never a fan of prop guards, as they are not really needed and cause more problems than they solve.

The guardsprops will flex a lot more than you would think. I was never a fan of prop guards, as they are not really needed and cause more problems than they solve.
I have 3 Phantoms. The first and still with prop guards. Never had a problem with prop guards. The only complaint I have is the extra weight. People make negative statements with no basis. I do not notice any worse flying with them than without other than the weight thing. They make the quad easier to see and do protect the props. So, unless you can prove they are a bad thing...please do not condemn them unless you have done tests and know what you are talking about. My Phantom flys just fine with them. No worse VRS with or without. And yes, I have been flying for a while and have tested this.

I suppose you have test to prove otherwise? You can do a search here and find post after post of people with issues using prop guards (this post being one of them). I have yet to see a post where there was an issue and installing prop guards fixed it. If you like them, use them. My personal opinion on them is they are useless. YMMV.

Proguards have a very useful function - and it is not for random flying 200 feet up in open terrain. It is also a well known fact that prop guards will cause instability if you fly fast, particularly if you fly fast in windy conditions.

This is why quick release is very useful. You fly without, and in some limited circumstances when propguards are useful, you pop them on. I have them. They're very important. And yes, 95% of the time, I don't use them because they're not only not needed, but possibly detrimental.

That said, a lot of people are selling junk, often 3D printed junk. I doubt any of it has been tested, and you are the guinea pig testing some else's 3D creation and random Chinese brands. I've seen the prop guards of other P3 owners in my area and they look like junk. They either flex a ton, or look very rigid and brittle. Some are very heavy. Some are not very precisely made, with 4 guards not parallel to each other and out of sync (quality control issues.)

Summary: buy a reputable injection molded quick release set - and mostly fly without them. Learn on when you should be using prop guards and put them on when they're actually called for.

I got them with my P1 tried them with 3 battery's -VRS any little gust of wind they catch it . I will never use them agin no need for them if you know how to fly . If I remember correctly even DJI suggest not using them (P1) . If they where needed the bird would come with them . To each there own .

I have prop guards for my P1 - never had an issue with them.
I don't have any for my P2NV.
I just bought a set for my P3P for indoor flight. Have made several outdoor flights with them and don't notice any negative impact. Haven't dared try an indoor flight yet with the P3.

If you remove the prop guard be sure to put back the original shorter screws or else motor damage.

many thanks for your advice but I used the hub of the guards and re fixed them back on using the same long screws as a precaution against cracks (I hope)
see photo

750r - DJI does sell them. And I absolutely agree with witold- you need to know when you may need them for example in a park near trees, bushes etc and when you don't need them for example in a large field and I agree it is nice to have the sections on the arms for reinforcement against cracking.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20