No GPS

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been flying my 3 Standard for a couple of months and have been having a great time. I'm cautious and not a "spirited flyer." I have a question about my next step: what can I expect from flying indoors with no GPS? Will the drone still sit and hover if I let go of the controls? Can I still use "auto takeoff?" Is it basically the same? I flew over a hockey rink in the St. Louis are that was being torn down and I was tempted to fly in one side that had gaping holes but was afraid not knowing what to expect. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Fly in A-Mode (ATTI), that's the almost the same as P-Mode when GPS is not available (P-ATTI). I say "almost" because in A-Mode, if the GPS signal is available, RTH will still work. In P-ATTI, by definition, there is no GPS signal.

Reactions: davecarter39
Fly in A-Mode (ATTI), that's the almost the same as P-Mode when GPS is not available (P-ATTI). I say "almost" because in A-Mode, if the GPS signal is available, RTH will still work. In P-ATTI, by definition, there is no GPS signal.
Thanks!

Metal can make your compass go crazy. Something between you and the phantom can make it lose signal. In atti it will drift. I would say flying into the stadium is not for the cautious.

You can take your phantom in an empty field with no trees or obstacles around and turn off GPS and practice in ATTI mode. That's how you can master and beat this mode in case you lost GPS.

You can take your phantom in an empty field with no trees or obstacles around and turn off GPS and practice in ATTI mode. That's how you can master and beat this mode in case you lost GPS.
Thank you, that's a great idea. I appreciate your taking the time to reply!

Thanks!

Flying into a building will most likely impede your tx signal to ac causing signal loss at the ac. It will then attempt to RTH inside the building! Treelines, buildings etc, all can/will block signal to the aircraft.
Aircrft will return to home in ATTI mode. Page ten of the manual.

RTH only works in A-Mode, not P-ATTI. Both are "attitude" modes, meaning that GPS is not used to control the position of the aircraft (only barometer for altitude), but A-Mode is a choice of the pilot (and GPS, if signal is present, is used for RTH), while P-ATTI is a "choice" of the AC when it does not have GPS lock (and in this case RTH will not work).

Flying into a building will most likely impede your tx signal to ac causing signal loss at the ac. It will then attempt to RTH inside the building! Treelines, buildings etc, all can/will block signal to the aircraft.
Thank you!

RTH only works in A-Mode, not P-ATTI. Both are "attitude" modes, meaning that GPS is not used to control the position of the aircraft (only barometer for altitude), but A-Mode is a choice of the pilot (and GPS, if signal is present, is used for RTH), while P-ATTI is a "choice" of the AC when it does not have GPS lock (and in this case RTH will not work).
Thank you!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl