No Drones on Hawaii surf Pipeline

Reaction score
A private company in Hawaii is trying to enforce their own FAA rules and not allow any drone/quads unless they issue you a permit to fly over a small part of the sea. They think they own the airspace over part of the ocean where surfers compete in surfing contests.

Read the epic stupidity here. Warning some NSFW language in the link.

WSL Tries to Own Hawaiian Airspace! - Beach Grit

drones-wsl.jpg

LOLZ. And just how do they legally enforce this? And FAA airmen notices for the area?
I would venture over to the media trailer and ask them to see the faa regulations stating you can't fly. I assume they are worried someone will broadcast it without their express consent?
Are they banning unauthorized cameras (DSLR, point & shoot, cell phones tablets, etc.) also?

Does anyone know about the rules of using a drone at Pipleine? When I am in Hawaii, there is a surf event on (which I was not aware of) and I was planning to head out and take some aerial shots with the drone. Is this allowed if there is a competition on?

The only thing you have to worry about is "not flying over people". If you take off and land away from the crowds on the beach and don't fly directly over the surfers, you should be ok. I would contact the relevant LEO office, tell them that you are an FAA registered pilot, have checked for any FAA restrictions on the airspace and that you will be flying and observing all of the FAA's rules when you do. If anyone from the event says anything to you, tell them the same thing and that you have also already discussed it with with the local police. Then if you get any push back, remind them that interfering with any aircraft operations (and the FAA considers our drones an aircraft) could be a federal offense!

The only thing you have to worry about is "not flying over people". If you take off and land away from the crowds on the beach and don't fly directly over the surfers, you should be ok. I would contact the relevant LEO office, tell them that you are an FAA registered pilot, have checked for any FAA restrictions on the airspace and that you will be flying and observing all of the FAA's rules when you do. If anyone from the event says anything to you, tell them the same thing and that you have also already discussed it with with the local police. Then if you get any push back, remind them that interfering with any aircraft operations (and the FAA considers our drones an aircraft) could be a federal offense!

Thanks for the info! I am from Aus, so I have obtained certificate of registration with FAA. Is that the same as 'FAA registered pilot' ?

Thanks for the info! I am from Aus, so I have obtained certificate of registration with FAA. Is that the same as 'FAA registered pilot' ?
Yes, you are officially a FAA certified pilot! Just remember, that certification is for hobby fliers, getting you commercial ticket is more involve and may not be open to non-us citizens. But, taking cool picture on vacation is exactly the situation you cert is designed for. Just keep a copy of your cert with you and put your registration # on the bird. This can be as simple as a piece of tape with the number written on it. Has to be visible either in the out side or somewhere that can be reached without tools such as in the battery compartment. I put mine on both the bird and battery. Happy flying and welcome to the US.

Reactions: pilot ss
Anyone able to help me out with a few questions?
I have just gotten to Hawaii and where I would like to fly are two local helicopter pads that show up within the B4UFLY app says I am within 5nm of an airport (only the helicopter circles cover the area I want to fly.)
Am I suppose to ring the two helicopter bases to pre plan to fly in this area?
How long notice do you need to give prior to flying?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Still some debate about helo pads, but why not be safe. for hobby flying, I usually call 30-45 minutes before with name, contact info, location and heights and starting and stopping times.

Just call the helipad?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yes. I have a helipad zone I reside within. I called the facility... mercifully, they had just decided that they would no longer be utilizing it. I took names and numbers. An adjacent 5 mile radius to the regional airport appreciated the call and said everything was AOK. Took names and numbers there too.

Yes. I have a helipad zone I reside within. I called the facility... mercifully, they had just decided that they would no longer be utilizing it. I took names and numbers. An adjacent 5 mile radius to the regional airport appreciated the call and said everything was AOK. Took names and numbers there too.
Will do, thanks!

Just called up the helipad. He could not give me a yes or no answer to fly..
Both helipads are privately owned for hospital use (if that makes any difference)
Not sure what to do now. This is totally new to me, as we don't have this procedure at home...

Last edited:
Just called up the helipad. He could not give me a yes or no answer to fly..
Both helipads are privately owned for hospital use (if that makes any difference)
Not sure what to do now. This is totally new to me, as we don't have this procedure at home...
You called. That covers the FAA requirement to 'notify'. So unless you were given a legitimate safety concern about where and hen you were going to fly, you're good to go.

Sorry guys, TFR or not, no deal. While the event itself does not have authority to manage the airspace, it is your responsibility to fly safely and to stay clear of people and other aircraft including other drones. It is also your responsibility to avoid flying above or near crowds.

If I am the licensed and permitted operator concerned about the likelihood of this happening, I would make sure to have a VIP seat set aside for the local ASI. If I saw your drone enter my space, I would land immediately. And if I am grounded, the ASI, local authorities and I would find you as you land. So have your registration, your pilot's license and other documentation permitting you to operate ready. If the ASI believes you operated in a reckless manner flying over people or failing to maintain separation, you will likely be the subject of a report and fined. Local authorities will also likely cite you with interfering with a public event and other local infractions.

Sorry guys, TFR or not, no deal. While the event itself does not have authority to manage the airspace, it is your responsibility to fly safely and to stay clear of people and other aircraft including other drones. It is also your responsibility to avoid flying above or near crowds.

If I am the licensed and permitted operator concerned about the likelihood of this happening, I would make sure to have a VIP seat set aside for the local ASI. If I saw your drone enter my space, I would land immediately. And if I am grounded, the ASI, local authorities and I would find you as you land. So have your registration, your pilot's license and other documentation permitting you to operate ready. If the ASI believes you operated in a reckless manner flying over people or failing to maintain separation, you will likely be the subject of a report and fined. Local authorities will also likely cite you with interfering with a public event and other local infractions.

Maybe I am reading this wrong but it sounds like you would basically bully someone else in "your" airspace so they can not use "your" airspace.

I thought it belonged to everyone.

Maybe I am reading this wrong but it sounds like you would basically bully someone else in "your" airspace so they can not use "your" airspace.

I thought it belonged to everyone.

It's not about bullying. It's about cooperation and safety. It's not my airspace exclusively but you have a duty of care to make sure you fly safely including avoiding other air traffic. If I am operating there and have posted notices and filed a NOTAM, you know of my operations. It is your responsibility at that point to stay clear unless you can establish a means of cooperatively sharing the space with me.

Think about it this way: if you saw a police helicopter in the air, you wouldn't fly your drone near it. If you saw a civilian helicopter in the area, you wouldn't fly your drone near it. If you saw a sign saying a drone is operating in a specific area, you should do the same and not fly your drone near it.

And even if there isn't a licensed and permitted drone flying at the event, operating in that environment without permission is a recipe for trouble. If you are flying near people or activities, it can be dangerous both to spectators and participants. Local police can find all sorts of reasons to cite you. As can the FAA.

LOLZ. And just how do they legally enforce this? And FAA airmen notices for the area?
I would venture over to the media trailer and ask them to see the faa regulations stating you can't fly. I assume they are worried someone will broadcast it without their express consent?
Are they banning unauthorized cameras (DSLR, point & shoot, cell phones tablets, etc.) also?
Good point brah.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31