Nighttime Philly Shots

Reaction score
This is my first nighttime shooting with the P4P. I'm sure there are tips I should be following for better clarity and less noise, but shot all in auto settings and JPEG. Still turned out decent I think (I'll work on some non-auto settings next time). Went out with a buddy (last pic) who was flying his MA2. Yes, flying as hobbiest, and yes had anti-collision strobe lights mounted - for anyone with good intentions, wishing to remind us of regulations/rules.
DJI_0845.JPG
DJI_0838.JPG
DJI_0855.JPG
DJI_0864.JPG

Your pics look good. I would suggest trying 5 AEB shots during the "Blue Hour" just after sunset, with some clouds in the sky. Set the drone to Tripod mode while shooting. Then combine the 5 shots into one HDR pic for in your favorite photo editor, mine is Corel Photo Shop Ultimate 2021. You will be rewarded with a colorful sky and reflections, and more details in the now dark areas.

Reactions: drifter106
Number 2 is my favorite. If you ever would like another pilot, I would love to join you. I'm in Langhorne, PA currently.
More the merrier - don't know if you're looking to come over to the Jersey side or not. If in PA you'd have to pick the spot as im not nearly as familiar there. Loving the city shots and especially nighttime at the moment. Maybe someone after Christmas. A little contrasting shot here - similar angle and altitude.

Attachments

• 20201215_215852.jpg
    20201215_215852.jpg
    902.8 KB · Views: 116
Right on beautiful man! At first i thought this guy has some cojones after that guy in Philly got fined. Heck id be afraid to post anything from up that way. Im messing though and know you were flying legal. Unlike the other guy. Those are really some amazing shots. Im gonna have to get out to one of the big cities. The mountains are beautiful and nice. But those lights are amazing. Well done!

Last edited:
This is my first nighttime shooting with the P4P. I'm sure there are tips I should be following for better clarity and less noise, but shot all in auto settings and JPEG. Still turned out decent I think (I'll work on some non-auto settings next time). Went out with a buddy (last pic) who was flying his MA2. Yes, flying as hobbiest, and yes had anti-collision strobe lights mounted - for anyone with good intentions, wishing to remind us of regulations/rules.View attachment 120965View attachment 120966View attachment 120967View attachment 120968
Great shots!
I live in Philly and have been thinking about getting some night flights in as well. Your shots are from all the areas I usually fly;l hope to see you out there soon!

Flying as a hobbiest? Can a recreational flyer receive day time waivers?
No need for waiver when flying as a hobbiest for night flights. Daytime rules apply, along with the requirement for anti-collision lighting.

I believe its only to the end of civil twilight. 30 mins after sunset with anti collision lights. Just read this morning that after jan night flights and flights over people are gonna be allowed with remote id.

I believe its only to the end of civil twilight. 30 mins after sunset with anti collision lights. Just read this morning that after jan night flights and flights over people are gonna be allowed with remote id.
Hobbiest can fly at night (anytime at night) without waiver (not just civil twilight). Just have to follow daytime rules and use anti-collision lighting (as stated before).

I believe you're right but honestly I got stopped by 3 Law Enforcement Officers the other night while getting some xmas shots...They told me to land it. and they have a licensed pilot that they were on the phone with.. Its really concerning that the law enforcement with 2 thirty thousand dollar drones told me they were gonna take my drone if i didnt ground it..

I believe you're right but honestly I got stopped by 3 Law Enforcement Officers the other night while getting some xmas shots...They told me to land it. and they have a licensed pilot that they were on the phone with.. Its really concerning that the law enforcement with 2 thirty thousand dollar drones told me they were gonna take my drone if i didnt ground it..
Sad - and misinformed enforcement. Maybe if they take the drone - I could sue for enough $ to buy another drone and get the one back they took! (Lol).. I've had local police question what I was doing and what I was photographing (making sure no privacy issues), but were satisfied with my answers and moved on.

No need for waiver when flying as a hobbiest for night flights. Daytime rules apply, along with the requirement for anti-collision lighting.
Can you direct us to the paragraph in the regulations where this is stated? Are there any other regulations that do not apply to recreational flyers?

Can you direct us to the paragraph in the regulations where this is stated? Are there any other regulations that do not apply to recreational I did call my local FSDO out of Philadelphia, PA and he would not give me a yes or no answer, but referred me to follow local based community rules if flying as hobbiest in class G airspace (like AMA). Per those rules you can fly at night using proper anti- collision lighting in class G airspace. I then posted my findings back to the Autelpilots forum and after several back and forth responses (7 or 8) we concluded that hobbyists can still follow 101 hobbiest rules for night flights without having to get a waiver from the FAA. I say this as our best effort to get a clear answer, but in that effort there were at least 2 of the 5 FSDO's we contacted who thought you could not - so clear as mud - determine for yourselves I suppose.
I did call my local FSDO out of Philadelphia, PA and he would not give me a yes or no answer, but referred me to follow local based community rules if flying as hobbiest in class G airspace (like AMA). Per those rules you can fly at night using proper anti- collision lighting in class G airspace. I then posted my findings back to the Autelpilots forum (where this same question surfaced) and after several back and forth responses (7 or 8) we concluded that hobbyists can still follow 101 hobbiest rules for night flights without having to get a waiver from the FAA. I say this as our best effort to get a clear answer, but in that effort there were at least 2 of the 5 FSDO's we contacted who thought you could not - so clear as mud - determine for yourselves I suppose.

I feel the same. Ive done research. Seen both yes and no. Been stopped before with no problems and a have fun. And ive also been swarmed by 3 squad cars like i was selling drugs on the street corner..

From another forum the following response was provided based on their back and forth with FAA contact.

As I understand it, 49 USC 44809 places no time-of-day restrictions on recreational sUAS operations. Additional limitations on operation restrictions are to be defined by whatever code of conduct the operator is following as issued by a CBO.

Both the AMA (https://www.modelaircraft.org/.../files/documents/100.pdf) and the DUGN (http://droneusergroup.net/legal/safety-code/) safety codes allow for night operations with additional safety precautions.
Seems pretty clear to me, but FSDOs like to make it harder. "

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20