Newbie having second thoughts

You will enjoy this bird. If you never flew a quad before you should get a small syma x5 quad to learn how to fly all manual. There cheap and fly well, thats what I did and I crashed that syma alot and it never had any major damage, just cracked prop gards and landing gear. Better to crash a cheap quad that your P4. I flew my syma 3 months before getting a P4 and it felt like graduating from a Lada to a Cadilac, this bird is a smooth flyer.

That's likely your impression if all you're doing is reading forums online. Pick any quadcopter though and you'll likely have the same impression. In reality, I'd say the Phantom 4 is the most problem-free Phantom released so far.

I agree 100%. Also being new, I lurk some of the forums to see what people are saying about other brands. I've been eyeing the Typhoon H but from what I've been reading, it's been a bit of a disaster.

Reactions: DBrian
Great advice from an earlier post to see if you could find some experience help to get you started. I'm a loooong time R/C modeler and I would not hesitate to recommend the P4 to a total newbie... I DO LIKE the advice of getting some help though, can GREATLY improve the learning curve. Where are you located??

This is not a paper plate though, it is a sophisticated piece of technology. Treat it with respect, caution and get help if you need it. After that you will be in great shape to enjoy and learn. :)

My opinion is this P4 is an amazingly stable machine, for me that is my main requirement, the video system is a bit mickey mouse, everyone has trouble from time to time tried loads of different tablets, but its all hit and miss and asking DJi support is a farce!, they havent a clue and give it the old unplug it and plug it in again, LOL!, but as I said as a fully stabilised flying machine for someone that cant fly RC, ie Me!!, its a breeze and highly recommended for a newbie, i have flown about 50 missions now and it flies fantastic, love it!!
If money is not an issue, get the Pro 9.7. It is amazing and makes a major difference.

What is up with all the noise in those 1080P videos up above?

If you are in SoCal and want to fly with me, we have a couple groups that meet up and fly all kinds of UASs and my P4 is always with me.

If you are located around me, or close enough to drive, I'll give you a flying and camera lesson.

Let me know.

When I say a lesson, I'll make you comfortable with all of them. It's up to you to become good but I'll make you un-afraid. Also, if you don't like it, send it back. Amazon. Amazon as part of their return agreement allows you to return items that you find didn't meet your expectations.

Open it up, but don't update, leave the baby alone and she will fly like a dream.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Mate, I was in your position 8 days ago. I have never flown/drove anything R/C before but now I'm the proud owner of a P4. Best decision I ever made was to read, learn and then fly it. Spent hours/days doing research and learning what I could before I purchased one, had it out of the box and flying the first day. Big open area, beginner mode and take your time. You bought it to fly it, take it easy and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: peterepeat69
Find somewhere with lots of open space, no tree, houses, street lights etc.

Fly it and see.

Just take it easy and make sure you read and re read the manual several times first.

If money is not an issue, get the Pro 9.7. It is amazing and makes a major difference.

If you are in SoCal and want to fly with me, we have a couple groups that meet up and fly all kinds of UASs and my P4 is always with me.

If you are located around me, or close enough to drive, I'll give you a flying and camera lesson.

Let me know.

When I say a lesson, I'll make you comfortable with all of them. It's up to you to become good but I'll make you un-afraid. Also, if you don't like it, send it back. Amazon. Amazon as part of their return agreement allows you to return items that you find didn't meet your expectations.

Thanks for the offer Jussaguy! I'm located in No. MI - lots of support here and good advice! Thanks all!

Reactions: Jussaguy
Open it up, but don't update, leave the baby alone and she will fly like a dream.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Unfortunately my P4 wouldnt even take off intil id updated RC and then drone itself, once done ive had no bother at all, touch wood.

The phantom 4 is one of the easiest quadcopters I have ever flown, all of the extra safeguards and features make it infinitely easier than the racing quadcopters and non gps quadcopters I used to fly. Watch some tutorial videos, take your time on the first time flying and you'll have it down fast.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Get some cheap toy grade quads and bounce them off the walls and shrubs. You will be glad you did because there WILL come a point when you're forced to deal with an unexpected situation. Maybe you'll lose GPS signal and it starts to drift in the wind. Maybe you'll be at 120 meters and you hear a low flying aircraft approach. Maybe you flip the toggle into manual mode by mistake. Something is going to happen. You don't want to panic when it does happen. I've seen new rc pilots go into panic mode and their first reaction is usually to go full stick. Panic is not allowed at this level.

Reactions: FlashBuddy
I think the most important thing is to avoid flying beyond your skill set. Of course, as a newbie, you're inherently flying beyond your skill set, but don't push the envelope too far. Fly around a big open field at low altitude until it bores you to death, before you start flying over trees, water, etc.
The idea of starting out with a cheap quad (<$50) is good. You can get used to the orientation and have some harmless crashes.

Reactions: MrFus
I don't see why not use it to learn the art of flying, just be cautious!

The main problem its the self confidence that a couple of good takeoffs and landings can give you, and if you watch videos of the drone doing super high altitude flyovers on cities and in lakes that can get you to believe that it's easy!

The trut is tha many of the guys who do that incredible videos have lost two or three drones and do multiple repairs, hell the cooooooolllll video its just 30 seconds of awesomeness on a gallery of 49 minutes of crash landings, close calls against walls and trees and even some scuba diving!

If i was you i will pop open the box and start with baby steps learning on how fly and land, get familiar with the software and the hardware, and have fun!

Last edited:
Unfortunately my P4 wouldnt even take off intil id updated RC and then drone itself, once done ive had no bother at all, touch wood.
Must be British, or European.

"Touch Wood" is "Knock on wood" here and "touch wood" sounds like something you would want your wife to do in the morning. ;) :-X (I've always thought that phrase sounded weird in the UK).

Let me know.

where in socal you from. Long Beach area here

Hi all I'm a total newbie. I recently purchased the p4 as it looked very user friendly. After I found this forum and I'm having serious second thoughts about my decision. I have left in unopened sitting in the corner. It sounds like the p4 is plagued with technical problems. I purchased through Amazon so returning would not be difficult. I recognize it was an expensive unit for a newbie, however the user friendliness had appeal. So two questions: is my impression that there are lots of unresolved tech issues correct? and can a newbie start with the p4 if I am patient and through in my approach to learning? Thank you for your valued responses.

While there are people that are happy with their P4s there are others who have not been so fortunate. I don't know what percentage of P4 owners are in either camp and I'm not sure anybody else knows that either.

Personally, I returned mine because there were just too many problems with the drone, DJI's support, and also the DJI forum. I was spending more time trying to get things to work properly than I was flying. Your experience may or may not be the same.

I am of the opinion that waiting for a few months to see what kind of chatter is going on here might be a good idea. You know, to see if the bugs have been squashed. I may buy another P4, but not until then.

Apart from the software and firmware issues I am also concerned about the stress fractures that--it sounds like--almost everyone can expect to develop. Did you see that thread where somebody flies another drone, crashing it intenionally over and over, breaking a whole bunch of props, kicking it over and over and it seemed fine and still flew?
**** near indestructible. Amazing.

Anyway, regarding your situation, why not fly yours and see how it goes? Be prepared for the problems you've read about and be prepared to return it if you have to. The longer you wait before flying the less time you'll have to decide.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik