New Hampshire White Mountain National Forest/Drone Ops?

Reaction score
Just checking to see if anyone out there has information about drone flying in New Hampshire's White Mountain National Forest.
I know the FAA has a restriction on drone operations in national parks; however, the White Mountain National Forest- just north of North Conway, New Hampshire is not a national park.
It is a preservation area with a restriction on development.

I was going to approach Peak Resorts, the owners of Wildcat Mountain Ski Resort to see if I would be able to get to the 4,000 foot summit in late September(via chair lift) to fly my Phantom to get video and still shots of the magnificent scenery and fall foliage.

Anybody know if you can fly in the White Mountain National Forest......if you have the property owner's permission?

Thanks

Hey, much thanks for passing that information along. :)

The summit of Wildcat Mountain is a bit over 4,000 feet and if I'm flying 400 feet up from that, my view should be great!

I should be looking directly across at the top of Mount Washington!
On a clear day, I should be able to see the Atlantic Ocean, too!
Beautiful part of the country.

I have contacted the NFS in New Hampshire in the past and they indicated they have a ban on drones in the White Mountains. They would not permit take offs or landings on Forest grounds. It is permitted in the Green Mountains in Vermont. I have not checked with New Hampshire in some time but you can send them an email and they do respond, address is on the White Mountains website. Also be aware there is no flying in wilderness areas and that the entire White Mountains National Forest is an MOA.

Also be aware that the State of New Hampshire does not allow drones on or above any property owner by them including parks, forests, roadsides, etc., Though they do allow snowmobiles, atv's, camping, fires, logging, hiking, fishing, non professional photography without a permit and other sorts of recreation bothersome to plants, lands, and animals... But no drones! Too dangerous, too noisy!

Also be aware that the State of New Hampshire does not allow drones on or above any property owner by them including parks, forests, roadsides, etc., Though they do allow snowmobiles, atv's, camping, fires, logging, hiking, fishing, non professional photography without a permit and other sorts of recreation bothersome to plants, lands, and animals... But no drones! Too dangerous, too noisy!

Just called White Mountain national Forest and spoke with Matt, he said all you need is a letter of permission that he can send by email and you’re good to go. 603-536-6100
I told him I was a hobbyist.

Reactions: Hendricks
I have contacted the NFS in New Hampshire in the past and they indicated they have a ban on drones in the White Mountains. They would not permit take offs or landings on Forest grounds. It is permitted in the Green Mountains in Vermont. I have not checked with New Hampshire in some time but you can send them an email and they do respond, address is on the White Mountains website. Also be aware there is no flying in wilderness areas and that the entire White Mountains National Forest is an MOA.

It sounds as if you may have been given incorrect information. The National Forest Service has no ban on sUAS operations on NFS land except designated wilderness, and there is nothing on the White Mountain National Forest website to indicate that it is any different. The location in question in this thread is not in wilderness:

1551792355048.jpeg

The Appalachian trail goes over the summit of Wildcat, and there are several wilderness areas that you are not allowed to fly in. State parks in NH are iffy too, I got busted on top of Mt Monadnock once, but that was because they had to land a helicopter. Up in the mountains I've flown in Franconia notch, Crawford north, Bretton woods, Conway, the Kanc, and Cathedral ledge with no problem.

Thanks to all those posting here and the information provided.
The NFS website currently says that drones are fine so long as the operator flies within FAA regulations AND the drone operator has permission from the land owner.

In my case, I will need to receive permission from Peak Resorts(operator of the Wildcat Mountain ski area) to fly above their property.
This will not be when there are skiers there. I plan to request permission to fly at a time when there is no skiing taking place.

It's a beautiful part of the country with some spectacular scenery.

Reactions: skymonkey
I know this thread is a few months old, but just in case someone has this question in the future, here's a picture from the area for reference.

20190715_165931.jpg

I
Im going to do it with my Mavic Pro in August. It’s the Live Free Or Die state, so live free or die trying or pay a hefty fine which ever one comes first. It should be illegal for them to say you can’t fly over a national forest or anyone’s property, because it’s legal to do so! I can understand National parks, because the government has stuff hidden in those and doesn’t want the public to see it from overhead. I won’t be taking off or landing from the forest floor, but on top of my car. Just going to be quick about it, go up 400 feet and come back. If I get busted then the drone will go up to 1600 feet, because I’m already in trouble the get you with anything that is flying over must be at least 2000 feet in the air, and drones can only go 400 feet legally. I will let you know how it turns out!

I also am going to fly as close as I can to the former Old man of the mountain and Indian head. I figure if I can get up to 400feet before I go to these spots, the noise will be minimal so nobody will pay attention. You only live once! I love how they say flying drones bothers the animals, but there are tv shows like alone that are killing animals for a game show. Lol wish me luck!

I came across this thread while doing research. I'd like to take pictures/videos of the foliage while I'm up there this weekend. How was your flight in NH?

I came across this thread while doing research. I'd like to take pictures/videos of the foliage while I'm up there this weekend. How was your flight in NH?
It was good, thank you! I stopped at a older scenic stop that is not used much across from newer one at the top of the Kancamagus. I flew for about 25 minutes. As soon as some motorcycles started up that’s when I put the Mavic in the air. It would have been more relaxing and a better experience if it wasn’t I guess illegal lol. I did stay at 400ft or below, at least I followed some rules lol, but it to beautiful to pass up! There are definitely no drone signs posted on the Kancamagus, prohibited 1/4 from the road. It might be legal to walk in a 1/4 mile away from the rd and be legal, idk! C The day wasn’t as clear as I hoped it would be, but I got some good video. Hope you have good luck and get some great shots! Thank You!!
2F1B046F-C32F-4159-8F37-B7B6328B9B6B.png

Attachments

• 677E7F6C-FEEE-48D2-ADD1-F9AFD89D2B9E.png
    677E7F6C-FEEE-48D2-ADD1-F9AFD89D2B9E.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 319
I had been planning on driving across the Kancamagus to take pictures with my P4P, but the round trip from home would have been 5 - 6 hours including stops for flying the drone to take pictures. So I rented a small plane and flew the route in just over 2 hours. Here's a couple of pictures I shot while piloting the plane. The leaves were fiery red as far as the eye could see.

AirColors1S.jpg
AirColors4S.jpg

Reactions: 2edgesword

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31