New graphene batteries on phantom 1

Reaction score
Any of you is using the new graphene batteries? Turnigy Graphene 2200mAh 3S 65C LiPoly Pack w/ XT60

91184.jpg

Experiences? Recommendations?

Maybe a racing quad but no point for Phantom.

I have not bought any graphene batteries for the Phantom yet but I will need to replace the batteries I have for it soon and the replacements will most likely be graphene.
I have been using graphene batteries in my hex for a few months and I can't pick a fault with them.They are performing very well.
I'm seeing flight times of up to 5 minutes more with graphene over regular LIPO and 2 to 3 minutes more than LIHV batteries.(LIHV = High Voltage LIPO)
They are also not getting as warm as LIPOs even after hard flying.
They are on average twice the cost of LIHV or LIPO but if they live up to the claims of 800 to 900 cycles then they will be well worth the extra cost.
Another advantage of graphene ,and LIHV,batteries is they can handle charging at higher amperage than regular LIPOs.The 4S 6600mAh units I use in my hex can be charged at up to 5C.I have not charged them at more than 3C and I've found that 2C is plenty and can take as little as 30 minutes.
Apparently some can handle 15C but I would not push them that hard.
As for the 15c discharge rate I have not found it to be a problem,even with the heavily laden gadget intensive hexacopter.

Individual results may vary depending on battery size and charger specs.
I have recently built a new charging station with up to 1350 Watts/50Amps available so everything works much better now,especially with the bigger batteries.

0c26562a6a346dadb7bc101a1e0587cb.jpg
. Is it possible to find a camera that has a longer range this one only seems to go to 250 foot then I lose signal looking for one that can perform better longer distance do you have any good ideas

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I finally bought two of the Turnigy Graphine 4000 mah batteries referenced above. I was disappointed to find that they were 41 mm. wide instead of the 31 mm. shown on Hobby King's website. So I decided to see if I could modify my Phantom 1.1.1 to accommodate them. It took enlarging the opening to the same size as the door, using spacers to raise the circuit board, cutting down the rails on the compartment floor, and buying the Shapeways Big Battery Door. After some careful trimming the batteries are a tight fit.

After some test flights I am very impressed with these batteries. I'm also powering a Tarot Gimbal and 600 mW Tx off of the Phantom battery. With 9443 props and my Gopro it weighs about 1200 gm. and was giving me about 8-9 min. flights with a Mad Dog 2700 battery.

In GPS hover tests I got the following:

Battery/ Weight/ 1st Red Light/ Self Landing/ Batt Voltage After
4000 #1/ 1290 gm./ 13:35 min./ 14:45 min./ 10.99v
2700 MD/ 1190 gm./ 6:10 min./ 8:15 min./ 11.16v
4000 #2/ 1290 gm./ 13:30 min./ 14:40 min./ 10.98v

Battery Voltage parameters were the same; 10.7/10.6 loaded and 11.3/11.4 no load for each test.
I hadn't flown it in a while and the baseline Mad Dog battery, which is about 3 years old, didn't perform as well as expected, perhaps due to battery age or the cold weather (30 F).

For regular flying I'll start with the timer set for 12 minutes, then bring it in to land. This is a significant improvement. For someone who doesn't want to do all of the modifications the Graphine 3000 may be a good choice.

Joe

Experimenting with these batteries are certainly a lot of fun. Right now the graphene battery is on the par with other top choices but you can expect it to keep improving further. The technology is still kinda crude. However the nano-industry is quickly picking up the speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20