New bird, bad stock battery?

Reaction score
What's up all?
Well the "bird" came in yesterday and so did the extra zippy batteries. I used the phantom charger to charge the stock battery and my after market to charge the zippy's while I put together the bird.

The 2 2800mha batteries were finished before the stock battery was done. I unplugged the battery and pulged it into my after market charger to check the cells and runs balance. So far the battery was off on all the cells and will only charge so high(see picture) the battery won't full charge, it's close but not enough for the Chargers to beep its complete.
image.jpg
The cells were at this voltage for about an hour without increasing. Does anybody think it's safe to fly so I can run down the voltage and do a balance charge from my after market charger? Or try for warranty swap?

I'm a little nervous to use the battery because I have seen videos of lipos Fire up and don't want to see this in person.

IflyinWY, thanks for the read. Not my first time but still s good read.

I flew the phantom today and drained the stock battery till she landed her self. Three the phantom battery on my aftermarket charger and ran a balance charge. All was good till the end. Cells were 4.19 4.20 4.19 and hung there for an hour or so. It's like the 2 cells won't charge as if there being drained while trying to charge.

I stop that charge and throw on one of the new zippy's and balance charge runs fine charger stops on its own. Something definitely wrong with this battery.

I would use it a couple of cycles to see if it improves. Try it again with the DJI charger, maybe it is stupid enough to charge all cells to the max :)
I use the cheapest and stupidest Lipo toy charger of all times which has only a 2s-3s balance connector, whenever one of my Lipo's can't be charged with the intelligent chargers. Always works and next time the Lipo is able to charge normal as ever.

Reactions: One_crazy_dude
Hey Crazy_Dude, welcome. How about a link for where to see the details for that charger. Thanks man and it does sound like the stock is less than up to the task.

Later...

After several chargers the battery is charging ok and completing the charge. But when using it in the p/1 when I let say fly straight up the low voltage on the bird will blink till I stop the flying up.

rebelyeIINC here is where I got my charger. It has been very reliable for the past 3 years or more. I would buy it from here because there are fakes out there that are cheaper but I wouldent trust them. Watch the video in the link and you'll see why.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html

Thanks O_C_D, looks like a nice 'un.

So Dude,
Sounds like you've got the charging issue worked out. Good.

Are you going vertical at or near "maximum rate of climb"?
Which battery will give you "Low Battery" indication in the climb?
What field elevation are you flying from?
How heavily is your bird loaded?
Which props are you using?
Prop guards?
Camera?
Gimbal?

When I fly from 8,000 feet I can make a MultiStar 4,000 10C (immediately), a Thunder Power 2700 25C (in less than a minute), and a Lectron Pro 2700 35C (after a minute or so), indicate low battery simply by flying.
That's with stock 8 inch props on my FC40 loaded with prop guards and 280 grams of gimbal and GoPro.
I can do much better with the 9450 and even the 9443 props at high altitude.
So what I have learned from that is this. I am sucking juice faster than the batteries can provide it.
I believe it all has to do with loading and the "C" rating of the battery.

So Dude,

Prop guards?
Camera?
Gimbal?

When I fly from 8,000 feet I can make a MultiStar 4,000 10C (immediately), a Thunder Power 2700 25C (in less than a minute), and a Lectron Pro 2700 35C (after a minute or so), indicate low battery simply by flying.
That's with stock 8 inch props on my FC40 loaded with prop guards and 280 grams of gimbal and GoPro.
So what I have learned from that is this. I am sucking juice faster than the batteries can provide it.
Ok I'll try my best to answer. It's a stock p1 with nothing on it. At first no camera but now I have an Dj 4000 with anti jello mount(carbon fiber verythinand light) stock 8" blades.

I will hover 6 to 10 feet then go vertical with the stock battery and the light will start to blink red. It will do this through out the flight. The other batteries (not stock) do not have this problem.

It's ok. I'm going to purchase a few more after market batteries and use this one for my RC cars.

Problem solved.

So Dude,

Prop guards?
Camera?
Gimbal?

Wow, I'd never considered the elevation for discharge. So, it's the thinner air? And props not "biting" as hard, so they turn faster thus the bird works harder? Is that what's going on at higher elevations? Something I wouldn't even have considered, but I suppose ppl should, especially like me who live in low altitude areas (204' above sea level) and are going to take there phantom on a vaca to the mountains. I'm going to the White Mountains again on way to Arizona City AZ. And thought about getting some shots while there, have to keep close eye on batteries I guess.
Interesting numbers, wow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers