New App Let's Public Report "Illegal" Drone Activity in New Zealand. Good Idea or Bad Idea? Would This Work in the US?

So you see a drone fly past near your house. You just got annoyed that it went past your house and the noise irritated you and you report it. How do you determine if it was illegal or not?

How do you determine if it was illegal or not?
I don't know what the relationship between the app provider and the CAA is, but I would guess that someone would review the claim by the reporter and decide whether or not to investigate from there. On one hand, if it was illegal, then they might be able to correct the pilot's behavior; on the other hand, they might be able to educate the reporter on what constitutes a legal flight and prevent them from reporting additional legal flights.

Reactions: Ansia
sounds like a really bad idea. They would have so many false claims to follow up on. Plus you getting question every time somebody reports will get old fast

Reactions: TR Ganey
i think it would be great if it just went to the app itself and gave the users a placebo of actually reporting them. lol. since most times they just want to complain to someone and feel superior to the hedonistic drone pilots it could provide an outlet for their rage that doesnt involve them talking to you and distracting you from your flight.

All in all though i think its bad if it actually files a real report since most people who are upset about drones dont understand drones, the laws surrounding them, or whether you have special permissions.

A good portion of the folks flying drones don't know the laws so I would expect that number to be even higher among those that don't fly. I see it as major waste of time and resources.

I feel for you New Zelanders. Hopefully this will get shut down in budget cuts.

No different than calling local LE to report suspicious activity anywhere/anytime.

It's an app. most won't hear of and fewer will use.

Go ahead OP.... ask10, 20 of your associates who's heard of this app. and how many loaded it then get back to us.

How many people that might observe potentially illegal drone flights in future are going to have this app loaded and ready to be able to report anything.
I know how few drones I see out in the wild and can't see myself downloading an app just to be ready in case the next one isn't complying with regs.

Bruce talks about this app here.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Apparently its just a method by which they will have massively skewed statistics against drones so that this private company can print money.

Given the thoughts in post #8 & #10, prob. won’t be much data.

The folks worried and talking about it are likely giving the app. more publicity than would normally occur.

Bruce talks about this app here.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Apparently its just a method by which they will have massively skewed statistics against drones so that this private company can print money.
For a moment there I thought you were him...lol

I was going to download the app and make a photo shoot of my drones and send it to them, but now I see I can screw NZers by doing so. Hopefully the rant guy is back and they got stopped.

Amateur Radio has been self policing almost since the beginning. When CB radio was totally out of control, HAM radio was a sane place to operate. Education through self-policing does work.

Reactions: N017RW

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31