New 5.4mm non-fisheye lens for GoPro

The price of the lens is HUGE! Although the getting rid off the fisheye without doing anything in post is handy.

If you have AfterEffects you can use Optics Compensation plugin to straighten the footage out. If you shoot 1440p or 2,7k it does not reduce the quality of the footage when rendered in 1080p.

I am seriously thinking of getting this lens but I will wait for one to be fitted to the next Gopro. Yes you can remove the fisheye from the standard lens but the sides of your image will appear mushy. Apart from there not being any fisheye, so no post processing to move it there are 2 further huge advantages.

1. Your picture appears much closer to the subject than the standard lens. This allows you to keep to local rules on flying distances and still get a good closeup shot.

2. No fisheye when you tilt. Tilt shots look awful with the standard lens, Now they are beautiful.

Shrimpfarmer, I'm seriously considering carrying out a lens mod on mine too in order to give me a more professional look. I have found the following supplier on Ebay, who seems to be reasonably priced and can even do the fitting for you, but then again the quality may not be so good. It's difficult to tell from his demo video's.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flat-lens...066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27e1084cb2

The lens does stick out more than the original, therefore it could be slightly heavier than the original thus upsetting the balance of the gimbal.

[EDIT] Have just realized this is for the fitting service and not for the lens itself. The seller can provide the lens on its own for £77 or £179 depending on required focal length.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl