Need Input For 107 Training Course

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

I want to get my 107 remote licence here as soon as possible. I have been reading everything I can online that is free, but I think I want to go ahead and purchase a little training program to help guide me, as I am new to a lot of this and want to make sure I do things the right way. With that said, I'd rather not spend $300 for ground school. I noticed some good reviews with remotepilot101.com. And at a price point of just $99, I was thinking about giving it a shot.

But first I wanted to ask if anyone here would recommend against this course? Is there a reason why it's 'just' $100.

I bought the RemotePilot101 course and didn't study anything else. The course has 65 short videos/chapters (about 5 minutes each) with a quiz at the end of each, plus a 60 question practice final at the end. Took the FAA exam last week and got a 93 in one hour. I highly recommend the course and have no affiliation with it. Just a good teacher and the materials cover everything you need to know to pass the exam. You also have access to the latest course videos for life. Nice, since you have to take the FAA exam every 2 years.

I'll third the above comments. I purchased the course which is good for life and passed with flying colors. Bear in mind that the current set of questions is geared mainly towards full size aviation pilots including commercial and private pilot questions.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Same on the remotepilot101.
Taking it now and he does an excellent job explaining in detail.
Bonus is, you are a member for life which means anything new on the 107 you get for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thank you guys for the feedback!

How long did you guys need to study and go over all the material in the course before you felt ready to take the official test?

2 weeks, 1 month?

I did it all in about a week and a half of daily studying. But I studied way harder than just passing the test and wanted the highest score possible. I'm leading out on a new program at my fire department so I felt the need to over achieve so I could guide guys in the future coming up through the process.

That said, I'm confident in saying that if you go through the remotepilot101 course and do it right, you'll pass without any real issue. When Jason tells you to stop the movie and write something down, do it. I had about five pages of notes on a legal pad when I was finished with all of the videos.

The FAA guide I linked to above will fill in any gaps in the 101 program and take your test score that much higher if you desire. It's free, might as well take advantage of it.

In my case, the test was heavy on ADM (Aeronautical Decision Making) and the FAA study guide was similarly heavily weighted on the subject. The 101 course was perhaps a little light in the subject matter of that particular section. The FAA PDF filled it all in.

Reactions: Blessed77
And where do you guys register for taking the test once done with the training at remotepilot101.com ? And is there any cost to take the test and certification with the FAA?

I'm taking the drone course from Gold Seal right now and it's answered every question I've had, in some cases before I even had it. It's really interactive and has a lot of practice quizzes. I'm pretty confident I'm going to do well on the FAA test! The link is www.goldsealdroneschool.com if you want to check it out.

And where do you guys register for taking the test once done with the training at remotepilot101.com ? And is there any cost to take the test and certification with the FAA?
Google "cats testing center" to find the one nearest you. Cost is $150. As others have said remotepilot101.com is a very good course. I recommend completing the course before making the test appointment.

I watched the RemotePilot101 videos and took the Chapter quizzes. I then went back and re-watched a few key lessons on the airspace classifications, sectional charts, METARs, and TAFs. Actually watched the majority of them again. I think I studied for about 3 or 4 weeks, watching videos in any spare time I had. Like Shady Rascal, I will be the first sUAS pilot at my company and we take safety very seriously -- so I felt it important that I do the best I could on the exam. When I took the 60 question practice final and blew it away, I knew I was ready for the actual exam. You will find that there may be a few questions on the FAA exam that might trip you up due to the way the FAA words them. They sometime try to trick you.

FYI -- I just received my temporary certificate. Took 9 days for it to show up on the IACRA site for printout.

Last edited:
I bought the remotepilot101 course and although I am only through lesson 1 I feel like this will be a big help to me when I finally take the test. So far I'm really happy with my decision.

What I'd like to know is what kind of support is available should a student have questions. I sent an email asking them the other day and got an auto response "We are currently on our Annual Aviation Seminar at Sea. We normally reply within 24hrs, but response time will be slower than normal this week." What was your experience getting support?

I can't answer about their support, but at Gold Seal you have multiple support routes:

(1) Ask questions in our very active Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/goldsealpart107pilots
(2) Every lesson and every quiz has a Feedback button: click it for email support and get a reply from a certificated CFI, usually within 2 hours
(3) Call our toll-free support hotline: 888-514-1945

I used the RemotePilot101 support via their chat box several times and got immediate responses. Only once was my answer delayed when the instructor was out of town for a few days. It wasn't critical that I get an immediate answer as there were plenty of other chapters to study and review again in the meantime. The RemotePilot101 team is based in the Orlando, FL area.

I used the RemotePilot101 support via their chat box several times and got immediate responses. Only once was my answer delayed when the instructor was out of town for a few days. It wasn't critical that I get an immediate answer as there were plenty of other chapters to study in the meantime. The RemotePilot101 team is based in the Orlando, FL area.

Thanks for your reply. It's also a good point you make--that there is plenty to study so waiting for an answer on one subject shouldn't present a real problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav