Need help to pick the "best" laptop for Pix4D

Reaction score
Im about to buy a laptop in order to process data while Im out of my office. I have found 3 different laptops which are within the budget. There are not huge difference between them, but still I want to make sure to pick the "best" one.

It will mainly be used for processing dataset of ~150 images(20 Mpix, ~8MB each)

• Laptop 1
  • i7, 6700HQ
  • 16GB ram
  • SSD 256 GB (and one free SATA Connection)
  • GeForce GTX 960M, 2 GB.

• Laptop 2
  • i7, 6700HQ
  • 16GB ram
  • SSD 516 GB
  • GeForce GTX 950M, 2 GB.
  • DVD (which I later plan to remove and replace with a SDD/HDD)

• Laptop 3
  • i7, 6700HQ
  • 16GB ram
  • SSD 128 GB + 1TB HDD 5400rpm
  • GeForce GTX 960M, 4 GB.
They all have IPS screens, running on Win10 and costs exactly the same. Im leaning towards laptop 3. And later on replace the 128 SSD with a 256 or 512. But maybe 128GB SSD will be sufficent to run Win + Pix4D and process the datasets. Any recommendations before I press that "Buy"-button?

IMHOP all three are very adequate for processing.. It made a huge difference when I put Pix4d on an SSD with the processing files. I have noticed that the graphics card is doing a lot of the calculation work so No.3 might help speeding things up.

I just checked a project with 180 photos and it generated 3.6 gb of files including the photos. A 750 photo project generated 13.8 gb with the photos. I was only producing a cloud and an orthomosaic. So lots of storage.

usually with laptops the ram comes OUT of your system memory. That is one reason I kept my hp, it has a real physical video sub system in it.
But you can replace the terabyte drive with an ssd hybrid drive later.

Im about to buy a laptop in order to process data while Im out of my office. I have found 3 different laptops which are within the budget. There are not huge difference between them, but still I want to make sure to pick the "best" one.

It will mainly be used for processing dataset of ~150 images(20 Mpix, ~8MB each)

• Laptop 1
  • i7, 6700HQ
  • 16GB ram
  • SSD 256 GB (and one free SATA Connection)
  • GeForce GTX 960M, 2 GB.

• Laptop 2
  • i7, 6700HQ
  • 16GB ram
  • SSD 516 GB
  • GeForce GTX 950M, 2 GB.
  • DVD (which I later plan to remove and replace with a SDD/HDD)

• Laptop 3
  • i7, 6700HQ
  • 16GB ram
  • SSD 128 GB + 1TB HDD 5400rpm
  • GeForce GTX 960M, 4 GB.
They all have IPS screens, running on Win10 and costs exactly the same. Im leaning towards laptop 3. And later on replace the 128 SSD with a 256 or 512. But maybe 128GB SSD will be sufficent to run Win + Pix4D and process the datasets. Any recommendations before I press that "Buy"-button?

All three will perform nearly the same. You have only spec'd different drives sizes, but not types, and slightly different graphics cards. The CPU is only a 4 core, and the drives you have chosen may only be SSD SATA. Be sure to get SSD M.2 PCIe drives which are 5x faster than SSD SATA. You will see a huge improvement with a faster drive, and a faster CPU.

I suggest :
4Ghz CPU with at least 4 cores (not sure if there is a 6 core laptop yet)
512Gb PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 2500MB/s Read & 1500MB/s Write
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5 PCIe

Sure, that HW would make the processing faster, unfortunately it isn't within my budget.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl