Near collision with military hellicopter

First we had 'drone police' monikers thrown around at folks here who reminded others of the FAA sUAS Hobby Guidelines.

Now we have folks who, seemingly because they now have a Chinese flying toy camera, want to report FS aircraft because they think they have seen a violation. Yet they have no training on altitude estimation or ranging, no equipment or evidence to substantiate or verify the alleged violation, and poor knowledge of FS operating rules.
And jerks that want forums to read what they want

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
The drone operator did the correct thing and got out of the way, as for any action over a military helicopter flying low over water and possibly colliding with a drone......good luck with that one!

Go to App Store and download Flightradar24. This app will show you all aircraft in the sky before you fly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Go to App Store and download Flightradar24. This app will show you all aircraft in the sky before you fly.

Almost all. Those without ADS-B transponders will not show up, such as Piper Cubs, Champs, homebuilts, etc. Thats how postal worker Doug Hughes flew his ultralight right to the White House lawn.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If it was a Navy or Marine rotary wing, then it's "Anymouse Report" time! (and yes that's how it's spelled, it was supposed to be "anonymous" but they have never corrected it since WWII days - that I am aware of). Naval aviators will instantly understand, for all others try Googling.

I've used FightRadar 24 premium - it's pretty good put sometimes doesn't show aircraft that are there. Sometimes it doesn't show their correct position either especially when landing.

There are delays built-in for security. How they are implemented I do not know. In some cases the flight is completely non-existent on this and similar apps.

App called Plane Finder (on iOS for sure) is pretty neat. Very slight delay that I've observed. Maybe 5-10 seconds?

I had noticed one night when walking the dog a very low sounding helicopter fly overhead. It seemed fairly low, maybe not 400, but not much more than 500-1000 to my sense. App check read 2,250 and was a tailwing number for an NYC tour copter. I assume it's accurate.

The app display would be a pretty cool feature to overlay, or have on a corner of your FPV view. Simple APi; come on Litchi ;)

This is a problem of small vs. big. Our drones are small. Really small. It is very easy to lose sight of one. How and why are we expecting other pilots to notice them in the sky? Even if they did, they are not the ones that should yield the right of way. Of course, if a pilot would see a drone in its path, it would maneuver out of its way, for safety reasons, and that assumes, the drone operator had not done so.

I agree this is not a pissing contest of who will report first.
The real problem will be avoided only when autonomous collision avoidance systems are developed for all crafts, big and small.

Until then, we should just all try our best to be safe.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Lol close call bud[emoji106][emoji3] it's military they can do what they want..also that would be a sweet *** video on your p4 I would love to see it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If you were flying at the coast in Newport Beach you had to be within 5 miles of John Wayne Airport. Secondly, as reported here aircraft can and often do fly very low over the water so you really need to have your head on a swivel and your aircraft in your line of site.

Reactions: BigAl07
390276_308779182492407_209746172395709_752122_1143933520_n1.jpg

Thread cleaned.​

It's part of the Dunning-Kruger Effect:
"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their own ineptitude and evaluate their own ability accurately."

LOL ... any [expletive deleted] can copy and paste from Wikipedia. As a public school teacher, I encourage and sometimes demand my students stay the he** away from Wikipedia. It is public access and as a result, riddled with errors, misinformation and bad juju ... ! I have however added "Dunning-Kruger" to my new list of insults AND/OR explanations!
:cool:

LOL ... any [expletive deleted] can copy and paste from Wikipedia. As a publica school teacher, I encourage and sometimes demand my students stay the he** away from Wikipedia. It is public access and as a result, riddled with errors, misinformation and bad juju ... ! I have however added "Dunning-Kruger" to my new list of insults/explanations!
:cool:

Wiki has its uses. What you said goes for this site too. Public, full of errors.
Like Reagan said when translating a Russian Proverb...
'Trust but Verify'

Wiki has its uses. What you said goes for this site too. Public, full of errors.
Like Reagan said when translating a Russian Proverb...
'Trust but Verify'
one seven romeo whiskey .. say aircraft type

one seven romeo whiskey .. say aircraft type

Fictitious.
Been using it since the early 80's on all my model aircraft. Was on my MRs until (real) registration was required.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20