ND Filters for still shots

Reaction score
Question regarding ND filters. I'm still somewhat new to the photo game, and didn't know if the ND filters are for still shots or just video. I'm planning on taking some still shots to put on a website soon, but didn't know if the filters were beneficial for that purpose.

They are for both. In full son you will probably need nd16. Set your ISO as low as possible and then adjust shutter speed to get the exposure you want. A nd32 may be needed on really bright days because your aperture is fixed at 2.8

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

They are for both. In full son you will probably need nd16. Set your ISO as low as possible and then adjust shutter speed to get the exposure you want. A nd32 may be needed on really bright days because your aperture is fixed at 2.8

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
No ND filter will be needed for stills abscent the intent to introduce motion blur. Midday sun in in the open would be 1/3200s at ISO 100 for f2.8s (fastest available shutter speed of 1/8000 gives over 1 stop margin).

The primary reason for using a ND filter for recording video is to slow down the shutter speed on bright days. You want the shutter speed to be twice the frame rate to get the best picture. If you are recording at 60 FPS, then you want the shutter speed to be 1/120 second. A shorter shutter speed produces produces a "jello" effect on your video.

Another benefit is by getting a longer shutter speed, you don't see the propellers when the drone is tilted forward.

For still shots, a longer exposure can provide nice "creamy" pictures of moving water.

Ok, good to know. I should probably look for a decent set. I'm not a photographer, so I will need to do some research on how to change the camera settings to the situation. Is there a good book or website that can educate me on those basic photography skills?

So as you see, It depends. For traditional video shooting, the rule of thumb is to select a shutter speed that is the reciprocal of twice the frame rate ie @ 30FPS you would select a shutter speed of 1/60 of a second. This is primarily done to achieve the natural motion blur that the human eye is accustomed to. To see the difference, film a water faucet with a light stream. At higher shutter speeds the water stream will be segmented. At slower speeds the stream will be smooth. The phantom has a fixed aperture of 2.8 so to reduce the light coming in to allow for a slower shutter, an ND filter must be used. With stills it depends on whether you want to stop motion (no blur) or not stop motion (slight blur showing motion) this is mostly used to smooth rivers waterfalls etc.. If you want to stop motion, do not use an ND for stills. This does not apply to polarizing filters which would require an addtional post.

Ok, good to know. I should probably look for a decent set. I'm not a photographer, so I will need to do some research on how to change the camera settings to the situation. Is there a good book or website that can educate me on those basic photography skills?
Most Drone photography is taken at a distance. With most @ a distance > 50' I recommend that you watch several Youtube videos on drone photography first.

I'll look up youtube. Thanks! My stills have typically been of cool buildings I like to photograph.

With fps is most people use for taking video .. as i really new and noob here!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
It depends. Most North Americans using NTSC will choose 30 FPS for normal Video and possibly 60 or 120 FPS if they are planning to do slow motion in post processing. Europe traditionally uses PAL and the usual FPS of choice will be factor of 25FPS. In addition to Frames Per Second shutter speed plays an important part to obtain "traditional results" Traditionally the shutter speed is the reciprocal of twice the Frame rate So if you are filming at 30FPS your shutter speed will be 1/60 of a second. However Unless you are using ND filters to reduce the light (like sunglasses) you will be forced to use auto since the Phantom 4 has a fixed aperture of 2.8. To my eyes, Shutter speed has less effect the higher or farther away you are from your subject..

It depends. Most North Americans using NTSC will choose 30 FPS for normal Video and possibly 60 or 120 FPS if they are planning to do slow motion in post processing. Europe traditionally uses PAL and the usual FPS of choice will be factor of 25FPS. In addition to Frames Per Second shutter speed plays an important part to obtain "traditional results" Traditionally the shutter speed is the reciprocal of twice the Frame rate So if you are filming at 30FPS your shutter speed will be 1/60 of a second. However Unless you are using ND filters to reduce the light (like sunglasses) you will be forced to use auto since the Phantom 4 has a fixed aperture of 2.8. To my eyes, Shutter speed has less effect the higher or farther away you are from your subject..
Great information really .. thank you!

In the beginning, I think that you will be pleased with the results with out any filters. Set the ISO at 100 to give you the least amount of"grain" and set both camera and video to "auto". That way, you can concentrate on flying and setting up your shots. Once you get some experience it's he bird, you will naturally start getting more critical of you pictures and can start using filters, etc. to adjust your images as you like. Just like with handheld photography, learn the basics how how to use your equipment first.

Reactions: Nickster

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl