My Videos w/ iMovie and iMac

Reaction score
Up until my last 2 videos, Ive edited all my work on an iPad. I finally got a Mac (my first one) a few weeks ago and have been playing with that. I purchased a used machine, mid 2010, 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, and 10 gigs of RAM ATM. I love this thing and only have $340 invested. Anyway, here are my first two videos edited on the iMac with iMovie. Would love some input on any of my videos to be honest. The UAV flyover vid is only an example of work performed and never was intended to be used to make a vid. I was just trying things out. I'm seeing some jittering in some of the clips, but I'm positive this is from me slowing them down too much. I only shoot 24 fps, but plan on playing around with 60 fps so I can slow things down easier.......

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for watching!

The Nest Project was great, at the beginning. Not that the rest of the filming was bad but I could tell you had a clear idea of what to film and the second half felt like you were filming the photographer and her process instead of the nest. Still better than my editing.

Pink Floyd is my favorite band ever. I don't think that song makes sense for 'selling homes'. Not that, that, was your intent of the video, but...

I thought the Nest video was very creative but maybe too long. The Flyovers was good too but needed to new music if you want to sell homes.

This is all simple constructive criticism from my perspective only and not to ATTACK you. Your videos look great.

I need some more of this myself.

BTW, is there delay while editing with your iMac? I have a newer Windows laptop than that but I'm using with DaVinci Resolve and its almost impossible to edit anything. Too much lag in the video.

Still like the videos

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Helihover
Some great shots there Helihover. Some of the stuff in The Nest Project made me gasp as you fly over the edge!

I agree with av8. It felt like you were about to tell a story and it started well but the latter part felt like a collection of great shot ideas but the story faded.

Go easy with the colours maybe too. I'm not looking down my nose at you with that statement. I'm guilty of this and only this morning, I reworked a project which completed yesterday because, on revisiting, I'd overdone the colours and it was actually detracting from the footage.

One final thing, don't use original artist's music in your edits. Most online hosting sites will trawl your upload for a match with an existing artist and block your creations when it matches one that is published because you don't have rights. Whilst it will probably only result in a request to remove it, it does mean that your hard work was wasted as you have to re-edit with Royalty Free music.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Helihover
The Nest Project was great, at the beginning. Not that the rest of the filming was bad but I could tell you had a clear idea of what to film and the second half felt like you were filming the photographer and her process instead of the nest. Still better than my editing.

Pink Floyd is my favorite band ever. I don't think that song makes sense for 'selling homes'. Not that, that, was your intent of the video, but...

I thought the Nest video was very creative but maybe too long. The Flyovers was good too but needed to new music if you want to sell homes.

This is all simple constructive criticism from my perspective only and not to ATTACK you. Your videos look great.

I need some more of this myself.

BTW, is there delay while editing with your iMac? I have a newer Windows laptop than that but I'm using with DaVinci Resolve and its almost impossible to edit anything. Too much lag in the video.

Still like the videos

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

My Mac is awesome, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I came from an old laptop that was so slow. That's why I was doing all my editing on my iPad. It will skip just a tiny bit while in the editor on playback in a full screen. Other than that, there is no hesitation while editing far as hitting buttons. It does take a few mins to stabilize and there is zero lag for any color edits. These 3,3-1/2 min video take about 5 mins to export in a mov. format. I think the nest was 4 gigs.

So I had this new Mac and editor, but no new music. Far as the footage, the flyovers are just spec shots, so I wanted to see how I could match music with this new program.

On the nest project, I spent a 1/2 day searching non copyrighted music and still got a copyright violation on YT. Anyway the editor on my iPad, Splice, had a pretty good music selection.

Thanks for your input!

Some great shots there Helihover. Some of the stuff in The Nest Project made me gasp as you fly over the edge!

I agree with av8. It felt like you were about to tell a story and it started well but the latter part felt like a collection of great shot ideas but the story faded.

Go easy with the colours maybe too. I'm not looking down my nose at you with that statement. I'm guilty of this and only this morning, I reworked a project which completed yesterday because, on revisiting, I'd overdone the colours and it was actually detracting from the footage.

One final thing, don't use original artist's music in your edits. Most online hosting sites will trawl your upload for a match with an existing artist and block your creations when it matches one that is published because you don't have rights. Whilst it will probably only result in a request to remove it, it does mean that your hard work was wasted as you have to re-edit with Royalty Free music.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!

Your right, I'm gonna have to work on my story lines if I want to take this further. I'm really lagging in this department. :)

Colors too! I'm colorblind:). I just used auto correct for the nest project. The scene with both of the lady's talking is super red to me, so much that I was going to tone it down. It was suggested I keep it that way. I did however play around with the colors in the flyover vid......

Thanks for the input!

Thank you!

Your right, I'm gonna have to work on my story lines if I want to take this further. I'm really lagging in this department. :)

Colors too! I'm colorblind:). I just used auto correct for the nest project. The scene with both of the lady's talking is super red to me, so much that I was going to tone it down. It was suggested I keep it that way. I did however play around with the colors in the flyover vid......

Thanks for the input!

It's all subjective Helihover. If you like it then keep it. At the moment styles are changing faster than ever and it's becoming a bit tedious so just go with what you know and stick with it. I must warn you though, once you get into colour grading and stylising be prepared to become single and never leave the house. It's seriously addictive!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.