Mp4 or Mov? 25fps or 50fps??

Reaction score
Phantom 3 Advanced questions questions..... (for now)

1. Videos - MP4 or MOV any advantages over one or the other?
2. 1080P 25fps or is 50fps worth the double file size?

2. 1080P 25fps or is 50fps worth the double file size?

Can't really answer #1 for you

#2 - in many cases, yes. Especially in aerial video. If you fly or pan the camera too quickly, you'll get a stuttering effect at 25p (or 30p for ntsc). But at 50p (60p for ntsc), that effect goes away until you do some extremely fast maneuvers. You can always reduce the fps in postprocessing if you don't the higher framerate

Reactions: Fourblade

MOV is an Apple container. MP4 is what everyone else uses. I personally use MP4 because it's more widely supported.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fourblade
Thanks that's what I was thinking.

MP4 seems more widespread.
and I guessed that 50fps would result in smoother looking pans.

On another subject....
Looking at the 3 flight modes I guess that:-

1. (P) Mode is similar to the GPS mode on the P2V+ (right switch all the way up) but does the P3 automatically select GPS, OPTI or ATTI depending on the satellite status?

2. (A) Mode is similar to ATTI mode on the P2V+

3. (F) Mode is obviously like the IOC mode of the P2V+

I'm wondering how much compression goes into the .mov. I know .mp4 has a lot of compression, just wondering if the .mov has more quality. Has anyone done any tests? When I record I will want footage with the least amount of compression.

I'm wondering how much compression goes into the .mov. I know .mp4 has a lot of compression, just wondering if the .mov has more quality. Has anyone done any tests? When I record I will want footage with the least amount of compression.
Good point!

They're both just containers, the codec used to compress the videos in the containers is the same, so there shouldn't be any difference between the 2. Just pick the container that suits your needs (MOV if you only live in the Apple world, MP4 otherwise)

They're both just containers, the codec used to compress the videos in the containers is the same, so there shouldn't be any difference between the 2. Just pick the container that suits your needs (MOV if you only live in the Apple world, MP4 otherwise)

As the man said. Spot on.

Reactions: RCFantom and jhoke
I do professional video work so I am comfortable with almost any codec. There has to some difference in quality. MP4's do not take well to post processing, and are generally designed for delivery. I am curious as to what level the .mov is recording. Getting 4k is great, getting 4k RAW is better.

If I had to guess the .MP4 is probably a lot more compressed than the .MOV. Smaller file sizes but lower quality. That's just a guess though.

If I had to guess the .MP4 is probably a lot more compressed than the .MOV. Smaller file sizes but lower quality. That's just a guess though.
I can't imagine how/why DJI would use 2 different codecs for 2 different containers. I haven't done a side by side, but I would be shocked if there was any difference in quality at all.

They use the same CODEC, so the output should be exactly the same. One is not more compressed than the other. DJI most likely does this to support Apple with MOV and the rest of the world with MP4.

The question that have is how do you switch from MOV to MP4 in the Android version of Pilot? Or is that with the settings wheel (battery is charging atm). Couldn't find it in either the manual or QSG. Thanks.

I always render video at H.264 and mp4 so may as well keep it at mp4 from the start.
As above .mov always was an apple thing.
There shouldn't be any difference in quality but it's generally best to minimise any changes during processing - apart from anything else it should be done a bit quicker.

If you're on a Mac platform, either MOV or MP4 will work perfectly fine. Outside of the Mac platform, I would go MP4.

As for frame rates, I always shoot 24fps. The only time I ever shoot 30 or 60, is when I intend to slow it down back to 24 in post. Choppiness during fast pans or movement should be mitigated with slower shutter speeds, not increased frames, but I guess that's just a preference thing.

I haven't got my P3A yet. Is it at all possible to set the video compression level?

If you're on a Mac platform, either MOV or MP4 will work perfectly fine. Outside of the Mac platform, I would go MP4.

As for frame rates, I always shoot 24fps. The only time I ever shoot 30 or 60, is when I intend to slow it down back to 24 in post. Choppiness during fast pans or movement should be mitigated with slower shutter speeds, not increased frames, but I guess that's just a preference thing.

I am curious, can you help explain why 30 or 60 is not better?
I really have nothing to go on other than wouldn't bigger be better?

The only reason I can think of for using 24 fps is to get a "movie like" look. It is certainly not "better" from a technical standpoint.

24 fps, in case you didn't know it, is traditionally used in the cinemas. Therefore our brains are actually trained to perceive 24 fps as a cinematic look. Therefore some people kind of think 24 fps is the superior frame rate.

Of course, if the end product is meant for the big screen, 24 fps is a logical choice... :)

Lower fps(25) = brighter picture in Low Light because shutter is open longer takes in more light.
Higher fps(50) = not as good in Low Light because shutter is not open as long but is better for Slow Motion.

Read this in a GoPro3 manual.

Reactions: Farmer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic