Motors and ESCs or Just Motors

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm just in the process of diagnosing a problem with my dads P2V that he's bought 2nd hand.

I think I've got to the bottom the root cause but just wanted to get the opinion of others before I start switching out parts.

All 4 prop motors are non functioning at the moment. 2 opposing motors are twitching and the other two are for want of a better term dead.

It's my assumption that the seller screwed in the prop guard screws and pooched the windings.

The main question is this:
It is possible for the ESCs to be faulty in regards of controlling the motors if the LEDs are still lighting up?

I guess I'll soon find out for myself but wanted to gauge other people's thoughts.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I went through same gimmick, bought a NON working P2v, for $200, said bad esc?

Turned out ( prop guard screws no prop guards ) I did run a diagnostic!

First you'll need to know which version esc you have ( 2.0 older models , or 2.1 newer models )
If 2.0, you can go back stock or upgrade to 2.1 with newer 2213 motors!
( if this is the case and you want to UPGRADE )
Only 1 choice ( buy all 4 new esc and motors )
Ok
If already 2.1 or want to keep 2.0

You know you need motors, so order them first!
Now cut all you old motors loose from esc's ( at motor housing, leave as long a tail as possible on the esc's ) motors are junk anyway! Keep the bells! Throw the bases away!

Ok
When new motors arrive, take 1 motor, strip back wires on only 1 esc at a time ( so they don't short out )
DO NOT CUT OR ALTER NEW MOTOR WIRES , strip it a tiny bit if needed, now take 3 alligator clips ( roach clip ) and clip the wires together ( color to color ) red to red, yellow to yellow, ect.

Hang onto motor or place 1 screw to hold it. NO PROPs! Now turn on phantom and test esc you have hooked up, do this on each esc ( mark the bad ones for removal. ) they will work or won't work, some might TWITCH back and forth, that is also BAD! Then purchase what you need!

That is what I did, as well as tested all voltage with multimeter, to see if main board was bad!

Mine
Had 3 bad esc's, 4 bad motors!
( but in all honesty, I replaced all 4, they only $15 each! Plus I had 3 bad! Why not! If 1 or 2 were bad, I'd have only replaced the bad ones! My 2 cents!

Hope this helps, and would be happy to lend advice or assistance if needed! Good luck!

J Dot

I did a full build once, built a complete p2v out of spare parts! Even had to hand make some items.
Post is in p2v discussion forum
Complete build from scratch parts 1 & 2.

Take care, Fly safe!

Thanks for the advice J Dot, I've got the motors on order, I'll go through it all methodical like.

I would love to say that it was bought as a spares or repairs but sadly that wasn't the case. The seller replied with "it was fine when I had it" which makes me think, if he's being honest (gotta believe the best in people!), he didn't realise the screw length when removing the prop guards for shipping out.

On the bright side though, it did come with a couple of 2axis gimbals that will come in handy *when* we get it in the air! [emoji1]

Thanks again and thanks for any future support I may need! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

ive got the same problem I think, all led lights work fine and blink correctly, when I csc to start the motors only one works one twitch and 2 are completely dead, the drone belongs to my friends dad so I'm trying to fix his best friend. I believe he flew into a power pole with it, I connected it to the dji flight assistant everything looked perfect. numbers were good, no imu cal. needed, gps has good lock, just the motors wont spool up but the right rear. I believe I need new motors. the bird is a p2v non plus. my main concern is will I need new esc's? not that its a big deal just wondering.

Did you ever figure out your problem? I bought a done second hand and had the same problem.

Hello! It sounds like I have a similar problem and after reading the replies Im with Cookflhx on the question on how you guys fixed the motors twitching.

My drone was working perfectly before the battery just died midflight and dropped 30 meters from the sky. Now I had to diy bend a bent arm (its 'workable' now) and I've ordered two new Powerextra replacement batteries (due to my two old batteries being dead now) but now all four motors are just twitching instead of starting up normally.

From my knowledge was this a problem due to the batteries "frying" some circuits or something? I have inspected all the parts, ESC's and motors and all seem visually to be fine (no melting, burns or anything).

So if anyone has some advice Im all ears. Did all four of my ESC's just die or is there a problem with the flight controller or something?

I need this drone working for work

Thanks guys

UPDATE: After looking at some other videos and faq's, the motor winding's sometimes can get damaged by too long of screws. So I checked the windings and low and behold, all four had been damaged. All from just being flattened all the way to actually being cut strait through. So Im gunna go to the local hobby shop and see what they say. Ill post an update later. Still look for some advice eitherway.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.