Motor auto shot off when Phantom flips.

Reaction score
so while flying my phantom yesterday, i nicked my roof and it flipped over. I naturally freaked the **** out and tried to turn off the motors asap, but sadly the didnt shut off fast enough and i broke two props -> :'''( sad face
AS far as i know there is no fail safe against flipping.

would it be a decent idea to have an auto shot off if the phantom goes over a certain angle on the Axis. lets say at a perfect level the Y: 90, X:0, (reference front and top) if the X goes beyond say 120* your copter is falling out of the sky. and so on with the Y.

IDK just another one of my crazy ideas.

Not crazy...

The P2 can correct for flipping, but you must admit it is not intended to be flown that way... Right?

The IMU can correct for the unfortunate situation you encountered and until you 'tell' it otherwise is committed to returning the quad to a normal flying attitude.

But... there's the problem of damage(s) from the initial impact, possible subsequent impacts & damage, and altitude available to perform recovery.

CSC was your only option, but apparently not able to activate soon enough to prevent more damage???

Last edited:
the issues is if your idk 20 feet or higher off the ground you hit a line or pole and you go down. it wont matter if the motors are turned off or not. you are going down.

this is more along the ideas of you hit a roof or a tree and its a small fall/landing. both not enough time to correct for flipping and it wont kill your drone if you hit the ground.

Reactions: N017RW
Not crazy...

The P2 can correct for flipping, but you must admit it is not intended to be flown that way... Right?

The IMU can correct for the unfortunate situation you encountered and until you 'tell' it otherwise is committed to returning the quad to a normal flying attitude.

But... there's the problem of damage(s) from the initial impact, possible subsequent impacts & damage, and altitude available to perform recovery.

CSC was your only option, but apparently not able to activate soon enough to prevent more damage???
Thanks for posting that info. I desperately need help with my Phantom 4. It flipped at about 250 feet and did a powered dive into the ground! DJI has repaired it and started the return but denies warranty problem. I say it is a firmware or hardware problem and will happen again unless I can find out why and fix the problem. Has anyone anywhere been able to flip a Phantom 4? And, like you stated, don't they make an automatic recovery once out of balance, especially upside down? Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Interesting - I just posted the result of my Phantom 3 flipping in wind.

How much did DJI charge you to repair it? I was thinking it would be almost as much as just buying a new drone?

I'd rather it stay powered up with the chance it may right itself. The obstacle avoidance should make it more difficult to fly into your house but it isn't foolproof.

Interesting - I just posted the result of my Phantom 3 flipping in wind.

How much did DJI charge you to repair it? I was thinking it would be almost as much as just buying a new drone?
Well, DJI charged $239 to basically rebuild the gimbal and replace the top shell. Not bad at all. I just can't get them to explain how it could possibly happen? I's still waiting.
How bad was your drone damaged? Mine luckily hit flat on the props in soft ground. Only the props, gimbal mount and shell were damaged. I should have a good as new drone come Thursday when UPS arrives but I still don't know how it happened nor a guarantee that it won't again.
Thanks for your input.
Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.