More powerfull repeater?

I wanted to Thank Uncle Fester for the outstanding range I now have. Here are some pictures of my set up. Also I connected to the left connector in the repeater.

Attachments

• 20131217_153835.jpg
    20131217_153835.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 552
  • 20131217_153818.jpg
    20131217_153818.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 572
  • Screenshot_2013-12-17-16-53-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-17-16-53-32.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 597
Here is my mod.

I wanted the coax between the two units to be as short as possible.
All that needs to be done now is to cleanup the box a bit (remove the letters, the two mounts for the screws and put some kit in the hole where the old coax used to be)...... And.... Test it..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Small note! Polarization might look wrong, but I've rotated the antenna inside the box!

Pull_Up said:
That's a really impressive range for the 5.8GHz control system, let alone the 2.4 downlink! Are you using a stock transmitter or are you doing anything to boost the control signal?

That's with the stock transmitter with no modification to it.

thelandman said:
Pull_Up said:
That's a really impressive range for the 5.8GHz control system, let alone the 2.4 downlink! Are you using a stock transmitter or are you doing anything to boost the control signal?

Very good. I run out of control signal at around 1000ft horizontal or vertical - which really is far enough for me as I can't see the thing anyway! What batteries are you using in the Tx? I might try some high-end lithiums to see if they squeeze a little more performance out of the 5.8GHz (could get expensive, mind!).

Pull_Up said:
thelandman said:
Pull_Up said:

Very good. I run out of control signal at around 1000ft horizontal or vertical - which really is far enough for me as I can't see the thing anyway! What batteries are you using in the Tx? I might try some high-end lithiums to see if they squeeze a little more performance out of the 5.8GHz (could get expensive, mind!).

As a matter of fact I was using the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. I didn't give any thought to those being the reason I had such great distance. I just bought some 2000mah Eneloop batteries from Costco. $20 for 8 AA and 4 AAA. It was $16 for the Lithium batteries. I wonder if there will be a noticeable decrease in range. My bird is broke at the moment so I can't test it out.

Pull_Up said:
Yeah I run 2800mAh NiMH in there at the moment. Might be worth trying lithiums - but given the expense, and if I do get increased range, I might just save them for times when I might want to squeeze a bit further out (which isn't that often to be honest). Thanks for your info.

I just posted this in the eneloop thread but I flew 3-4 batteries a day for over 2 weeks before they died on me.

Noël said:
Here is my mod.

All that needs to be done now is to cleanup the box a bit (remove the letters, the two mounts for the screws and put some kit in the hole where the old coax used to be)...... And.... Test it..

Small note! Polarization might look wrong, but I've rotated the antenna inside the box!

Nice setup. More practical size than the 14db antenna. Have you gotten around to testing range on this yet? And I'm guessing this is the 9gb TPlink directional antenna? I may do this myself, minus the dissection part.

one other thought to powering the whole thing..
How much power does the WIFI extender take? Input wise.. could attach an external Lipo battery using quality deans connectors...

in theory could run a battery to the TX as well then no AA's at all.....

This way you can use a high Amp hour Lipo...

Thoughts.

The TX is 1.5v x 4 so 6 Volts... would a 7.4 Lipo be too much for the TX

what is the voltage of the Wireless Extender...?

Cjrt546 said:
I just installed the 9db antenna . I did get 1500ft range but it was still in and out. I am in a high wifi area I'm thinking if going to the big 14db setup. But I have doubts with the 14db I hear the beam is narrower. Any suggestions?

Yeah the beam is narrower than the 9gb setup so you'll have to be a little bit more accurate with your direction. Though from what I hear from other users is it's not overly picky you don't have to worry about it being pointed exactly 100% at the Phantom but the closer the better.

How much range were you getting on the stock phantom repeater? I've so far done 1,000 foot distance at 380 foot altitude without a problem and good wifi signal. I did that in a park where at least I'm not sitting / standing directly besides someone's home wifi, though I still was picking up other wifi signals.

One nice thing though about the 9db antenna is at least it is more portable and practical for attaching to the controller itself versus the more massive 14db unit.

Just remember the higher db the antenna the more directional it becomes. All you are doing be putting on a high gain antenna is effectively focusing the rf energy into a narrower field extending your range but at the expense of having to point the antenna at the P2V more precisely.

the supplied Range Extender is 17dB I believe it says
so a 14dB add on is more wide then the supplied extender I believe...

BenDronePilot said:
Nice setup. More practical size than the 14db antenna. Have you gotten around to testing range on this yet? And I'm guessing this is the 9gb TPlink directional antenna? I may do this myself, minus the dissection part.
It's the 9db gain (from TPlink) antenna.
I've not been able to test it (lot's of wind and rain here)

Noël said:
Here is my mod.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

wowww...awesome...u should create some video regarding this setup...

how high upwards can with vision 2 go with upgrading to the tplink repeater? I would like to do aerial stills from high up as possible, i understand with the tplink repeater, the vision 2 can go as far as 2000ft+ but does that mean it will go up 2000ft as well? And also at 2000ft+ will i still be able to control the vision with my stock radio control (TX) or do i need to apply changes to it as well? please confirm??

Just a little upgrade I'm working on.

Now waiting for my 2.4ghz amps to arrive so i can fit one onto the repeater and one on the P2V.

Took it out today, noticed somewhat of an improvement with attached antenna. Just lost the control signal more often took it to about 650m without too much camera lag.

I should have mounted the SMA connector a little bit towards the bottom of the repeater. i was just able to put the board back in with a little bend in it (which isn't good) with the screws in enough to hold it where it needs to be.

This method leaves your options open to change antennas etc instead of just hard wiring in an antenna directly into the repeater.

Attachments

• 20131224_195344.jpg
    20131224_195344.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 476
  • 20131224_195301.jpg
    20131224_195301.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 446
  • 20131224_143358.jpg
    20131224_143358.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 457

Recent Posts

Members online