More bad publicity for Drone owners ! (how STUPID ! )

Reaction score
Drone delays air rescue of fisherman stranded on rocks in Gold Coast Seaway - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Shame on the drone operator for this careless flight.......IF he did this he's probability done several other times and NOT got caught !
Agree blooming 3dr pilot (looking at picture of drone)mayby times like this police and rescue helicopters etc the old drone gun should be deployed so they can do their job,,,me being a Merdoc pilot (a team) I would have got straight up with the heli and locate the op in question and give him a good knugde with the heli skids,shame on there ops.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
The majority of these unfortunate incidents aren’t caused by “bad” people, or even by “irresponsible” individuals as such (even if the act is actually irresponsible).

In most cases, the heart of the problem is a lack of education or insufficient thinking. The normalised average mindset is in itself problematic or dysfunctional. The tough question is “how do you educate everyone and get them all thinking more?” It’s easy with hindsight, particularly if a rescue helicopter pilot was later to give you a roasting. Self-preoccupation is extremely blinding as to the bigger picture. Seeing life from the perspective of others doesn’t come naturally in our “me, first” societies.

I’m not condoning this behaviour. There’s definitely an educational way forward, but it can’t be achieved within the narrow framework of drones (regulations or otherwise). The same mental blindness or shortsightedness affects numerous areas of life.

Meanwhile, all thanks to our rescue services.

The majority of these unfortunate incidents aren’t caused by “bad” people, or even by “irresponsible” individuals as such (even if the act is actually irresponsible).

In most cases, the heart of the problem is a lack of education or insufficient thinking. The normalised average mindset is in itself problematic or dysfunctional. The tough question is “how do you educate everyone and get them all thinking more?” It’s easy with hindsight, particularly if a rescue helicopter pilot was later to give you a roasting. Self-preoccupation is extremely blinding as to the bigger picture. Seeing life from the perspective of others doesn’t come naturally in our “me, first” societies.

I’m not condoning this behaviour. There’s definitely an educational way forward, but it can’t be achieved within the narrow framework of drones (regulations or otherwise). The same mental blindness or shortsightedness affects numerous areas of life.

Ignorance of the laws and rules is not an excuse to break them.

I agree the education is the only proper way to adreas the issue. That is why many believe we need a certification process for everyone in some way. People will be lazy, they need to be forced to learn the rules of safe and legal operation.

My personal opinion is that in a case such as this, when minutes matter, the gubberment can just simply dispose of the offending drone. Just shoot the **** thing down. There's no time to "wait for the drone to leave", shoot it down.

My personal opinion is that in a case such as this, when minutes matter, the gubberment can just simply dispose of the offending drone. Just shoot the **** thing down. There's no time to "wait for the drone to leave", shoot it down.

Bullets fired into the air comes down "somewhere". If they miss, then someone on the ground behind it can be injured or killed.

A bullet fired into the air by a propellant is traveling
many many times faster than a bullet coming down
due to gravity.

Reactions: BigAl07
A bullet fired into the air by a propellant is traveling
many many times faster than a bullet coming down
due to gravity.

True, but it can still be fatal. It happened in Atlanta on New Years Eve a couple of years ago. Someone was killed on the ground by a bullet from above. The police suspected that it was from someone firing into the air, which came down and killed someone miles away.

I know it is unlikely, but it can happen.

True, but it can still be fatal. It happened in Atlanta on New Years Eve a couple of years ago. Someone was killed on the ground by a bullet from above. The police suspected that it was from someone firing into the air, which came down and killed someone miles away.

I know it is unlikely, but it can happen.
This happens often actually. Shannon's law (Arizona) - Wikipedia

That's just a stock photo of a drone.
No-one photographed the drone involved.

Greetings all

Actually Meta4 the drone in question was captured briefly by a local news crew from a distance as it finished filming and turned to RTH. It was a DJI Mavic although exact model was not obvious at that distance.

It was stated that the pilot was capturing footage for sale to local media outlets so the claim that the pilot was "unidentified" has to be taken with a grain of salt too or how would they know what he was doing? Of course you can't expect the local media to make that too well known. They were getting too much mileage out of the drone beat up.

Please don't mistake me. The guy was an utter idiot and someone we can do without in the hobby. Australian RPAS operators have been working under rules very VERY similar to those ushered in by the new FAA re financing bill in the U.S. for quite a while and we get bye OK for the most part. There are rules that are very specific for recreational drone uav pilots but have some wriggle room for certified pilots.

To be clear, I live close to the location and know it well, I've fished the seaway, gone out to sea via the seaway and volunteered at VMR tower on the seaway. A close friend is still an air sea rescue skipper there.

It is not controlled airspace from memory (I could check by simply opening CASA's "can I fly there app") and so could the idiot in question. There are any number of uncontrolled helicopter sites (UHLS) in the area but when not in use even a recreational pilot can fly very close to them with the proviso that they must land as soon as they become aware of an aircraft operating from the UHLS.

The only rule being breached that I can obviously see is that "you must not operate within the area of an emergency situation without permission from the person in overall control of the situation". If the operator had checked the "can I fly there" app it would have sown him the UHLS sites and boundry and most likely have shown an emergency was underway.

I am currently studying for RePL and AROC certification, an operator with those *may* have been able to film there at that time as his AROC would have allowed him to request permission from the situation controller and co ordinate with the heli pilot via airband radio but would still have had to keep 1500m horizontally and 500ft vert away from the heli when it arrived. It's by no means certain but possible under the legislation.

In the end it highlights two things, all the regulations in the world don't change anything if drop kicks won't follow them, and the media are hypocritical in that they will take footage from anyone (recreational sub 2Kg pilots can operate under "exempt" status commercially here}. If the media made a commitment to only take footage from certified RePL operators who are not going to risk there expensive to obtain licence you have to ask would it even have happened?

Finally as others have said, anti drone measures exist, it's time they were made standard equipment to the emergency services and just take the idiots out of the air.

That "study" is BS, unscientific, set up to prove a point rather than to discover truth, and it has been widely promoted. DJI just demanded that the video be taken down and a corrective explanation published. Read DJI's demand letter for details on what is wrong with the video and the study.

Of course DJI wants it taken down because it happens to be a DJI drone. Also because if anything like this ever does happen it will hurt (aka cripple) DJI's business model and since they are the market leader they have the most to lose. Just because the manufacturer of the sUAS wants it removed in NO way discredits the video itself.

IMHO when DJI released that silly demand it cost them even more credibility points. Also their comments (attempts to discredit the original video) are severely erred to say the least.

Here's a detailed and accurate "summation" of why DJI's "demand to remove" is so flawed:

An Aeronautical Lesson for DJI’s lawyer, Brendan Schulman

Requiring all drone operators to be licensed or registered at various levels would significantly reduce the number of incidents like this. Based on the level of education/certification drone operators would be released to fly within an electronic fence. More training, less restriction, larger or unrestricted boundaries.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik