Max takeoff altitude above sea level?

Reaction score
I tried looking up the info but couldn't find the answer. What is the max altitude I can take off from? Imean in big bear and it's 6789 ft above sea level.

I tried looking up the info but couldn't find the answer. What is the max altitude I can take off from? Imean in big bear and it's 6789 ft above sea level.
You have a long way still to go before you have altitude problems.
Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level = 19685 ft (6000 m)

Reactions: KingDad1985
Max altitude you can fly a drone is 400 ft AGL (above ground level). That said, class A airspace starts at 18,000ft MSL. Make sure you never enter it, but good luck trying to [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes, Meta is right, you will have no problem at BigBear. I flew there in Jan this year, landed on the frozen lake. No problems. I've also flown at 13,000'MSL in Colorado at Loveland Pass, shown at the end of this video. Also, no problem. The Phantom 4 is a bulldog at elevation, even with wind. Pretty incredible craft.

Reactions: KingDad1985
I took off from Loveland pass in Colorado at 11,990 feet and wet up a couple hundred feet - so 12,000 feet was no problem.

I was out with the new P4P and had one launch at 8400 feet in AZ this weekend. Just keep in mind density altitude. In hot temps, high humidity, the calculated altitude will seem like it is higher for the aircraft.
See Density Altitude Calculator - English/Metric for an online calculator.

Look on Page 4 of this FAA document. titled Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

This has been discussed here _many_ times.

What you link to is an interpretation of the guidelines by the FAA, not the actual regulation and is yet another reason people are confused. The FAA has put out a ton of crap over the years.

The FAA letter to the AMA dated July 2016:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/files/2016/07/FAA-400feet.pdf

upload_2016-12-5_7-8-9.png

But then:

upload_2016-12-5_7-8-54.png

upload_2016-12-5_7-9-40.png

Part 107 _does_ change this but does not apply to hobbiest.

As mentioned above, this has been beat to death here in the past. So I'll just leave it at this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.