Mavic Pro Vs Phantom

Reaction score
First post on this forum.
I own a Mavic pro, and I build FPV race drones for photography purposes (not racing). As you probably know, FPV drones have a mode we call "Acro" which doesn't auto level the craft, but instead holds it at your specified angle. This allows us to flip upside down of course, but it also lets us orbit things well.
Now, my Mavic CAN'T orbit. Period. Even in it's POI mode it doesn't orbit, it makes a multisided polygon that's SUPER noticeable when the footage is sped up. I recently read that the Phantom has an "Attitude" mode that is like my Acro, just without the ability to invert. Is this true? Does the Phantom handle curves much better than the Mavic? Or is atti the same across the board?

Last edited:
ATTI mode has nothing to do with leveling the craft. The Phantom 4 Pro will always attempt to stay level, other than when it is necessary to move in a given direction. The gimbal likewise will also attempt to always keep the camera level in Follow mode. In FPV mode the gimbal will tilt more as the craft moves.

I am a bit confused though about how the tilt has anything to do with orbiting a fixed point. Orbiting is simply a navigational process and should have nothing to do with being able to hold a tilt. My P4P seems to orbit objects just fine but then again, I have never examined it in fast-forward.

Reactions: RTKdarling
DJI's are built to orbit larger objects and spaces that I had expected when I first got mine. To hold a tighter orbit, or take a tight turn you need to pitch the craft forward, but the DJI doesn't use any pitch in an orbit, it's all yaw authority.
Thanks for replying

DJI's are built to orbit larger objects and spaces that I had expected when I first got mine. To hold a tighter orbit, or take a tight turn you need to pitch the craft forward, but the DJI doesn't use any pitch in an orbit, it's all yaw authority.
Thanks for replying
Ah OK. Understood about tight orbits. No, none of the DJI consumer drones provide that pitch hold functionality. They always do their best to remain level. Although technically I don't think you absolutely need that function to achieve a tight orbit. If the flight controller does its job correctly, then it should be able to do wide orbits as well as tight orbits without needing to manually set a pitch angle. I will need to try this with each of my drones to see how they behave. What sort of orbit radius are you looking at?

I was on to something, but I didn't have the right story... It's called Manual mode, and you need to turn it on with assistant in debug. A little more advanced, but I may give it a try

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers