Mavic name?

Reaction score
It's been said DJI copyrighted "Mavic", but in reality it's the name of an old, well-established and widely known french bike parts manufacturer (Mavic is acronym for Manufacture d'Articles Vélocipédiques Idoux et Chanel btw).

I've been using their stuff for decades on and off road, and got really puzzled when the drone came out with this name which is so familiar to any biker. Mavic-bike must surely know about Mavic-drone, and quite possibly vice-versa too (and we all know how these things run in industry and business...).

But the only thing I was able to find about this that has "bike" and "drones" connected is a Mavic-drone release note in Bicycle Retailer. I'm close friends to the local Mavic (bike) distributor and they also have no idea what gives (if something gives, of course).

I apologize for starting a thread about this, I know it's a small thing and all but (until it comes out and we start flying it anyway :p) I was wondering if anyone around here knows anything about this, because I've been growing more and more curious about the name MAVIC and this coincidence (?).

Last edited:
Reactions: rene van der meer
Thanks dirkclod. I just watched a documentary about flying cars. One is the Maverick
Not to sure I would want to hitch a ride in that one :eek:
Was just trying to find that picture with Maverick on the Mavic and it was early but you know how it is here with stuff stuck everywhere .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31