Master Stick Mode Advices and Fly Styles

Reaction score
Hi,
I am not an experienced pilot, but i am trying my best on caring details. Hope you can help me. (Please do not give any info which you are not sure about, or at least inform us your being unsure.)
I sometimes feel like i should use Mode 1, as i need to fly forward and sideways together and i would be easier to use one stick for both of the commands. Do you think Mode 1 has some disadvantages i am unaware now?
Which mode you prefere to use personally? And why?
d5AErD.png

Mode 2's right stick is most like the Yoke on a typical aircraft combining aileron and elevator (roll and pitch).

Mode 1 vs. 2 simply swaps throttle and pitch or the vertical axis on the left and right sticks.

Some with extensive gaming experience seem to prefer Mode 1.

[At 50+] I personally would find it difficult for me to change from one to the other since Mode 2 is all I've ever known (flown).

Reactions: Akrosfer
I wonder if mode 1 will make it easier to orbit....think I'll test this on the simulator!!!

Reactions: Akrosfer
Never mind- the camera won't face the object while moving the one stick [emoji16][emoji16]

Mode 2 works best for me. It's what all my quads and heli's use, so I would likely feel slightly uncomfortable using any other mode. It works well, why change?

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Most users fly with Mode 2 - it's the standard.
But either would work - It's whatever you are used to.
Mode Two was how the P2 was set up. So that seems the natural way to have it for me.

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question related to the information discussed above. I have a P3A (first quad), and have been using the simulator to practice while I await better weather to move into the Ohio valley during a weekend when I can actually get out and fly. The preset stick mode did not feel natural to me, nor did the other preset modes I could choose from. I created a custom layout that works, but noticed CSC is no longer in the same orientation it used to be. In fact, I haven't been able to figure where CSC is on my custom layout. My worry is that my changes to the thumbstick orientation might have made CSC active in a thumbstick position I might arrive to during flight, and my quad is going to drop out of the sky. Is this just an issue with the simulator, or does the CSC thumbstick orientation actually change depending on the stick layout the user chooses?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I can't find this detail covered anywhere in the manual. I'm hoping to go for my first flight this weekend, and a better understanding of how stick modes change CSC thumbstick position could be very helpful. Thanks!

I have been flying in mode 2 for years and are used to it. It's a question of getting used to a system like car during left side or right side.

Gamers use mode 1.

Thanks for the reply! Do you know anything about how changing the mode alters CSC? In the simulator at least, changing to a custom mode seems to alter the thumbstick position necessary to execute CSC. That is my primary concern.

I have been flying in mode 2 for years and are used to it. It's a question of getting used to a system like car during left side or right side.

Gamers use mode 1.
I would think gamers (at least first person shooters) would prefer mode 3 (based on the diagram above). Is that diagram correct?

That being said, I have grown used to mode 2 so am just gonna stick with it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I can't find this detail covered anywhere in the manual. I'm hoping to go for my first flight this weekend, and a better understanding of how stick modes change CSC thumbstick position could be very helpful. Thanks!
I was never able to get used to pulling back on the stick to go down. My brain and I always wanted to pull back to go up, so I inverted the sticks with a custom setting.

To answer your question, doing this did alter the CSC. I need to do different stick movements to start my motors than the traditional CSC as shown in the manual.

Excellent, thanks for the info. I'll translate my thumbstick positioning to the stock positioning to try and figure out the placement of CSC within my custom setting in the simulator.

I am a gamer and find mode 3 is the best way to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This was my main concern as well. As a gamer I use mod 1 but as the mod 2 is the default I bought a small drone which is for the kids. So I practice at home to get used to the sticks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic