Man charged

Unfortunately the consequences of someone doing some irresponsible, especially near and airport, could be catastrophic so i think there is going to be little tolerance on the part of the general public and legislators if a rash of these types of occurrences should happen or if the unthinkable happens.

But the changing of the law etc will not stop the few idiots. Get a 2 year ban for driving under influence and an hour later they are driving. Get caught flying near an airport can cause a huge loss of life so lock em up.

My issue is with news outlets intentionally misleading the masses, they all had the facts that it was a model plane from the start but all referred to a 'drone' flying close to a runway of a major airport. That conjures a very different image of the reality of what actually happened, it certainly wouldn't have made a story a couple of months ago (and probably wouldn't have made a story at all without inserting 'drone' in there).

James: I'm not one for defending the media, as several of my posts about the pre-Christmas Gatwick incident demonstrate, but you're likely a wee bit off with your words "intentionally misleading". Yes, sometimes this happens. But, mostly, it's just sloppiness. In the haste and competitiveness of getting news stories out ASAP, detail gets overlooked. This extends to spelling mistakes not being checked/corrected (a very common occurrence nowadays in the UK online media), which once would have been viewed as a professional sin.

I agree with you that this story wouldn't have made the national media if the Gatwick disruption hadn't happened, as journalists link, but this still doesn't mean they were being intentionally misleading. The normalisation of sloppiness is a big enough problem - which leads to misleading news information - without it being intentional as such.

Precise understanding of human psychology is key to a better understanding of what's happening in the world and why. And it's "easier" to misunderstand than to understand.

I don't necessarily feel sorry for him as such and the judge was probably right to brand him as 'stupid' in as much at least that it was a bad idea to be seen with a transmitter anywhere near an airport after all the recent alleged drone sightings and mass hysteria due to news reports.

My issue is with news outlets intentionally misleading the masses, they all had the facts that it was a model plane from the start but all referred to a 'drone' flying close to a runway of a major airport. That conjures a very different image of the reality of what actually happened, it certainly wouldn't have made a story a couple of months ago (and probably wouldn't have made a story at all without inserting 'drone' in there).

Also, if we are now calling all model aircraft 'drone's we can expect a lot of drone sightings around airports from now on! Of
course, they will likely be full sized manned aircraft that just look like UAVs because they are far away :D
In the USA ‘model airplanes’ are considered an sUAS (Drone) as well.

But what makes a model airplane less dangerous to aviation?

Reactions: BigAl07
Let's start today with some facts:

An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone, is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard. UAVs are a component of an unmanned aircraft system (UAS); which include a UAV, a ground-based controller, and a system of communications between the two.

Unmanned aerial vehicle - Wikipedia

So it was actually a model plane, yet every single news report referred to it as a drone :rolleyes:

I think it's relevant when it comes to creating and maintaining public hysteria over drones / quadcopters.

This tells me... every single news report was ACCURATE! Model Aircraft are Unmanned Aircraft Systems-UAS (if you include the radio control etc) or Unmanned Aircraft Vehicle -UAV (if you're only talking about the aircraft itself) ironically the same definitions are internationally used for MultiRotors. So it doesn't matter if it's a Phantom, Mavic, Great Planes UltraStik, Synergy 516 Nitro Helicopter, or whatever so long as it's an Unmanned Aircraft it will fall under the "slang" of DRONE!
The model plane is technically a UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) but it isn't a drone so why report it as either?

It should have been reported for what it was, a man has been arrested for flying a cheap model plane in a park half a mile away from an airport.
Airplane, Phantom, Heli etc all have the SAME rules and regulations and CLASSIFICATION!!

Also at what point does price play into the classification, rules, and enforcement of the situation? Does my $10K UAV have different rules and stipulations than my $500 UAV? I'll give you a hint.... my $500 UAV is a lot faster, larger, and heavier than my $10K UAV.

Phantom = UAV = Drone = Model Aircraft

I don't necessarily feel sorry for him as such and the judge was probably right to brand him as 'stupid' in as much at least that it was a bad idea to be seen with a transmitter anywhere near an airport after all the recent alleged drone sightings and mass hysteria due to news reports.

Also, if we are now calling all model aircraft 'drone's we can expect a lot of drone sightings around airports from now on! Of course, they will likely be full sized manned aircraft that just look like UAVs because they are far away :D

This has been the case for YEARS now!! Actually many Model Aircraft Clubs (at least in the US) have been flying at and even on airport property for decades. We entered into a Letter of Agreement with the Airport Authority and it worked splendidly for many years.

What I find funny...actually 2 things here.

1) The term DRONE was first "coined" for Military airplanes starting back in the 1920's. UAVs such as Fairey Queen,1930's de Havilland Queen Bee Predator, Reaper were all called DRONES! So technically airplanes were drones long before any of us were even sucking air yet . . . .

2) Model Aircraft pilots (planes and heli) have LONG been wanting/trying to become disassociated with MultiRotors & drones because these latter operators tend to operate under a much less strict code of operation and with fewer regards for those around them. Unfortunately the FAA took a lazy approach and lumped us all into the same basket several years ago by classifying them all as AIRCRAFT. Because of this, operators who have been flying extremely carefully and with great regard to those around us for decades, were forced to abide by a new set of rules. These were created simply because MultiRotor operators felt that since they have the mechanical and technical ability to fly anytime and anywhere that's exactly what they SHOULD do without learning rules and being able to safely integrate into the NAS. Hence the myriad of DRONE RULES around the world.

3) Just because you don't fly airplanes and helicopters doesn't make them any less of a DRONE than your Phantom. Think of the term DRONE similar to AUTOMOBILE.... it is a broad classification and not an exact vehicle or type of vehicle classification.

Do you envision a higher earned qualification that would permit non VLOS flight? ;)
I think that is coming. I envision that when drones start having a beacon like signal to report their position to manned and other unmanned aircraft.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj