Lubrication

I have a lot of sand blowing here, can I use an electronic spray cleaner that's dries on contact

I have heard of a oil thats not a magnet for grit,,not know name,,,,uncle google should know

I have been lub'g my e-motors on all models for years and never had any trouble --- in fact it has reduced noise and increased smoothness.

For the Phantom - I undo the 4 screws, carefully lean the motor over with model inverted ... small 'teardrop' of very light Seeing Machine Oil on end of toothpick .... touch side of shaft end and then spin motor.
Put motor back ....

Man has been lubricating bicycles, karts, model engines, literally anything that spins, rotates and especially with bearings.

Phantom motors are actually quite hard working motors and its good to give them a bit of kindness once or twice a year.

About grit - that will get in regardless of any oil. If it gets into a 'dry' bearing that starts to heat up from friction ..... guess what.

The secret is to use SWO ...

Nigel

I always keep a bottle of 'Singer' sewing machine oil handy. Great stuff. I use it (sparingly) on my model trains too.

Nigel is right. Just a tiny drop with a toothpick.

In fact there are posts on various forums about worn out Phantom motors and people asking how to replace.

I don't know of any E-Motor on the hobby market that talks about lubrication ..... but that does not prove its not good to do. It just means the brand label doesn't mention it.

I have over 45 E-models and all have their tear-drop of SWO every so often ...

My Hummer 3D machine as example has had its moments of grit and dirt from over-zealous flying ... running motor has had 'sounds' .... quick drop of SWO or if not at hand ... 3in1 Cycle oil will do the job ... motor then clears and runs sweet. That particular motor is years old and had that treatment quite often. Compared to the Phantom motors which are partly shielded ... that Hummer motor gets more than its fair share of dirt !!

Nigel

If it was important DJI would tell you ... and they don't.
Lots of people want to feel they are doing "something" but it's not necessarily helping at all.

Sorry but ALL bearings benefit from a drop of lub ...............

We do not use Self Lubricating or sealed bearings ... we do not use Ceramic or Lignum Vitae bearing surfaces ...

A drop of Lub does the bearing a favour.

Nigel

Reactions: DaveD
Carinrcl, here is a link to a good advice regarding bearing lubrication.

Hello Nigel :)

Hi ...

I can tell all that the link makes a simple mistake ... the motors are NOT sealed ... they are actually standard issue Brushless motors ................

Yawn .....

Nigel

PS Not meant at you Quest-So

Hi Quest-So .... I cannot prove by internet link ... but by my own motors on P3S ....

I had 'screech' noise on my P3S ..... so I did as I explained ....

The 'screech' noise stopped and my motors run as sweet today as day I opened the box.

Nigel

Nigel I've deleted my previous messages, the matter was well covered by you, with a valuable advice (as expected).
Sorry :)

Reactions: Alba52

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj