Loss of video. Is this how this is supposed to work?

Reaction score
Today I decided to get very brave and fly all the way down the the lake at the end of my street (maybe 2000 feet away). Successful flight except for one thing. The video just froze on one frame and never came back, even though the bird came home, no problem. I then repeated the flight and the exact same thing happened. The only way to get the video feed back was to exit the DJI app and restart it. Then click connect to camera again. In the actual recorded video on the SD card of the bird.... it never freezes or anything, so I'm sure it's not the actual camera, but the 2.4ghz link breaking up.

Anyways.... I was hoping that when the video went out of range like that, that it would freeze up for a second, but then return to normal as soon as the bird was in range again. Am I doing something wrong in the settings?

If it matters, I'm using the ARGtek kit and the Magic Power v5.3 app set at 27dbm and I'm in a very WiFi congested area.

EDIT: Fixed. See post #10.

Last edited:
How far out before the video froze up?

Can you try in another uncongested location where you can range test?

Could also just be the Go app and your device not getting along. What device to you have? How much ram? Do you have other apps that my be in memory?

How far out before the video froze up?

Can you try in another uncongested location where you can range test?

Maybe 1/4 mile, if I had to guess.

As far as finding another location, that won't take place until it's nice out. We have 10" of snow on the ground, so any fields around here, I'd have to trudge through them. I'm just kind of doing test flights outside my front door for now. In the Summer I plan on bringing the Phantom out on my boat. We go to a sparsely populated Island every weekend, so barely any WifI interference there, if any.

I can deal with the video freezing up. I can understand that being in a heavily populated city that it's just going to happen. I'm just not sure why the video doesn't un freeze once the bird gets near me.

Could also just be the Go app and your device not getting along. What device to you have? How much ram? Do you have other apps that my be in memory?

It's a brand new Samsung Tab with 1.5g ram and a quad core. It has nothing extra installed on it except for DJI Go and a WiFi prioritizer app (to force it to connect to my Phantom vs. my home wifi).

Did a little searching. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's a brand new Samsung Tab with 1.5g ram and a quad core. It has nothing extra installed on it except for DJI Go and a WiFi prioritizer app (to force it to connect to my Phantom vs. my home wifi).
Seems like it should work with the Go app. You can also check it against this list. Best Tablets/Phones for DJI GO | Phantom Help
But I really think it's because of the high wifi interference in the area. Since the video is true wifi probably once it's loosing the connection it's having a hard time getting it back. Also which version of the Go app are you running ?

Did a little searching. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
20 minutes, I don't did get paid enough to watch that long of a movie. ;)

Look under mobile device fixes.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Here is a search, keywords image loss, I know nothing on amps and antennas, well I avoid those questions. ;)

http://www.phantompilots.com/search/21005053/?q=image+lost&o=relevance

Rod

I FIXED IT, YAYYYYY !!!!!!

I orientated the 2.4ghz antennas 90 degrees sideways, instead of straight up and down. I would think this is giving it a wider beam. I was 450 feet up and 2200+ feet away and had no problems with the video now. I also stood out in the street instead of on the sidewalk, giving the antennas a more clear line of sight to the bird. I could have kept going, but I'm a newb at hobby grade drones, so I'm nervous.

Unrelated, but I swapped the middle one out for the panel one as well.

Attachments

• 20161221_175202.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 324
Sorry but that doesn't make much sense.

The 2.4 patch antennas in the bird are installed in a vertical polarity position. If you position your modded 2.4 antennas in a horizontal polarity position, you'll likely lose signal.

There seems to be a piece missing from this puzzle...

Sorry but that doesn't make much sense.

The 2.4 patch antennas in the bird are installed in a vertical polarity position. If you position your modded 2.4 antennas in a horizontal polarity position, you'll likely lose signal.

There seems to be a piece missing from this puzzle...

IDK. Maybe just the fact of standing out in the street with a clearer line of sight is what actually fixed it.

One way to fix video freezes, but not during recording, but to save you exiting the app or rebooting the phone (something you might need to do when quitting DJI Go and starting Litchi) is to toggle the stills / video switch a couple of times. It seems to reinitialise the connection.

Reactions: Matts175
One way to fix video freezes, but not during recording, but to save you exiting the app or rebooting the phone (something you might need to do when quitting DJI Go and starting Litchi) is to toggle the stills / video switch a couple of times. It seems to reinitialise the connection.
there's a still /video switch on standard rc?

I FIXED IT, YAYYYYY !!!!!!

I orientated the 2.4ghz antennas 90 degrees sideways, instead of straight up and down. I would think this is giving it a wider beam. I was 450 feet up and 2200+ feet away and had no problems with the video now. I also stood out in the street instead of on the sidewalk, giving the antennas a more clear line of sight to the bird. I could have kept going, but I'm a newb at hobby grade drones, so I'm nervous.

Unrelated, but I swapped the middle one out for the panel one as well.
I really don't think having the antenna at 90° (right or left) had anything to do with your image not freezing, it was just a coincidence. Maybe being in the street gave you a better LOS with the craft, or the fact you were higher up in altitude gave you less interference.

Reactions: Matts175

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.