Looking for upgrade advice.

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading my drone in the next few months. I currently have a phantom 3 standard. Great unit. I'm looking at getting something more compact and 4k camera. We do lots of trips around the northern territory (Australia) and the P3S takes up a bit of real estate in the boot. Was thinking about the mavic (or similar ). Any thoughts. Probably have a budget up to $1000 AUD. Also looking at travelling over seas so something that I can take on a plane.

Cheers

Reactions: awasos21
I’ve seen plenty of Mavic Pro Combos for sale on Gumtree (if you can trust them) for around $1000. Probably foot the bill for what you are chasing regards portability and video quality.

Reactions: MAJoJa
I have the Phantom 4 Pro+ Obsidian which I love but I totally understand the hassle of Transportation of it! So I made the move and went with a mavic 2 Pro and I love that also. Great Camera Plus extreme portability it is a win!

I have the Phantom 4 Pro+ Obsidian which I love but I totally understand the hassle of Transportation of it! So I made the move and went with a mavic 2 Pro and I love that also. Great Camera Plus extreme portability it is a win!

Is there a major size difference with the different mavics or generally pretty close?

I’ve seen plenty of Mavic Pro Combos for sale on Gumtree (if you can trust them) for around $1000. Probably foot the bill for what you are chasing regards portability and video quality.

Didn't think of Gumtree. I'll take a look but I don't think much of a market in Darwin. Maybe a trip to JB

Didn't think of Gumtree. I'll take a look but I don't think much of a market in Darwin. Maybe a trip to JB
Yeah, but if you have confidence in a buyer you can arrange postage etc or maybe have a friend or family member in the location of the sale, at least it can be put in the air for a test flight. I think JBs had them for about $1499 but I don’t think it was the combo.

Is there a major size difference with the different mavics or generally pretty close?
Pretty much the same although there are extra features in the later Mavics which might be a game changer for some people. My son has the Mavic Mk1 and it does a great job, much more advanced than my Phantom and he is up and flying long before I’ve opened the boot in the car to drag all the gear out.

Hi Brad

First comment I'll make is from my perspective my first and foremost go to bird is a Phantom 4 Pro, there will always be a Phantom in my stable, I'm prepared to pay the "luggage tax" for the capabilities and the mechanical shutter on the camera along with the 60fps 4k video. The Mavic for me is a "Nice to have as well" item and I am lucky enough to be able to have a Mavic 2 Zoom as well ... and another 4 RPA but that's what doing it as a business does to you right?

From your perspective the $1000 price point is going to cruel you as far as an upgrade to a brand new bird (hey, you can only afford what you can afford, I know that feeling) The only thing close to that price point new in the range you are looking at is the Mavic Air at around $1250 for the bird alone or $1550 in a fly more combo. It's a great little machine, some pundits even like it better than the Mavic Pro Platinum and it does have more sensors. It's only limitation being slightly less endurance and the fact that as it uses enhanced WiFi over occusync you are limited for around 2-3km range which of course is till way outside of the legal line of sight.

Checking gumtree I see there is a Mavic Air Flymore with 1 hour on it for $1200 at Clontarf North of Brisbane listed yesterday. That's good buying for Australian dollars. There's a Mavic Air by itself at Wanguri in Darwin for $850 which is not bad buying either.

There's a Mavic Pro in Bayview with extras for $1250 (neg) which from what I can see around the second hand market is about the average price point for a flymore pack. I think either of these is more than good enough to meet your needs and then some and if you pick carefully you'll get one in good nick at not too much over your price point with extra batteries and case etc.. There are a couple of MP flymore packs in the Southern States even cheaper but it's always a punt buying second hand if you can't test it out in person of course.

Best of luck in your search. Let is know how you get on.

Regards
Ari

I am looking at upgrading my drone in the next few months. I currently have a phantom 3 standard. Great unit. I'm looking at getting something more compact and 4k camera. We do lots of trips around the northern territory (Australia) and the P3S takes up a bit of real estate in the boot. Was thinking about the mavic (or similar ). Any thoughts. Probably have a budget up to $1000 AUD. Also looking at travelling over seas so something that I can take on a plane.

Cheers
Hi, I've got a Phantom 4 pro + V2, bought myself a cover that fits over the supplied DJI case and have flown Brisbane to Newcastle and Brisbane to Alice Springs without any problems. Size wise it fits in the overhead lockers and with tree batteries it probably weighs under 3kgs.

Hi Brad

First comment I'll make is from my perspective my first and foremost go to bird is a Phantom 4 Pro, there will always be a Phantom in my stable, I'm prepared to pay the "luggage tax" for the capabilities and the mechanical shutter on the camera along with the 60fps 4k video. The Mavic for me is a "Nice to have as well" item and I am lucky enough to be able to have a Mavic 2 Zoom as well ... and another 4 RPA but that's what doing it as a business does to you right?

From your perspective the $1000 price point is going to cruel you as far as an upgrade to a brand new bird (hey, you can only afford what you can afford, I know that feeling) The only thing close to that price point new in the range you are looking at is the Mavic Air at around $1250 for the bird alone or $1550 in a fly more combo. It's a great little machine, some pundits even like it better than the Mavic Pro Platinum and it does have more sensors. It's only limitation being slightly less endurance and the fact that as it uses enhanced WiFi over occusync you are limited for around 2-3km range which of course is till way outside of the legal line of sight.

Checking gumtree I see there is a Mavic Air Flymore with 1 hour on it for $1200 at Clontarf North of Brisbane listed yesterday. That's good buying for Australian dollars. There's a Mavic Air by itself at Wanguri in Darwin for $850 which is not bad buying either.

There's a Mavic Pro in Bayview with extras for $1250 (neg) which from what I can see around the second hand market is about the average price point for a flymore pack. I think either of these is more than good enough to meet your needs and then some and if you pick carefully you'll get one in good nick at not too much over your price point with extra batteries and case etc.. There are a couple of MP flymore packs in the Southern States even cheaper but it's always a punt buying second hand if you can't test it out in person of course.

Best of luck in your search. Let is know how you get on.

Regards
Ari

Thanks Ari. That's awesome feedback. Of the two in darwin (Bayview or wanguri) which would you recommend?

Hi, I've got a Phantom 4 pro + V2, bought myself a cover that fits over the supplied DJI case and have flown Brisbane to Newcastle and Brisbane to Alice Springs without any problems. Size wise it fits in the overhead lockers and with tree batteries it probably weighs under 3kgs.

Is the P4P the same size as the P3S?

MAJoJa: You want a drone with the same camera specs as the P4P. We have the P4P+ - for work - and the camera is very good for the money. The 1 inch sensor is a key factor.

The size of a Phantom really isn’t that big. We have no problem whatsoever transporting it and carrying it around in the middle of nowhere. (Everything is a matter of perspective, of course. My benchmark is a Nikon 300mm f2.4 lens which isn’t exactly lightweight. I’m no longer a spring chicken, now in my early 60s.) And the stability of the drone is very good.

If the price is a bit more, it’s worth saving/waiting. Or consider a second-hand purchase.

Thanks Ari. That's awesome feedback. Of the two in darwin (Bayview or wanguri) which would you recommend?

Hi Brad

First answer, of the two in Darwin the Air is newer but bare, The Pro has (unspecified extras) what those extras are could be the deciding factor. Some batteries are good, More batteries are bettery. too many is just right.

It's a horses for courses decision as I see it, I'll post a link ot two below for a quick comparison and there are plenty more available with a quick web search.

In a nut shell, camera wise each has it's strengths and weaknesses. The Air has a wider field of view by quite a margin, while they go head to head for resolution options the Air is locked to 30fps for 4k while the Pro can manage the "Cinematic 24fps" ... if frame rate is not at issue for you, which it isn't for most probably the Air has the edge.

The Air is smaller and about half the weight but has less flight time than the pro (21 vs 27 minutes). The controller on the Pro might be a little more comprehensive in it's display but at that size I am looking at my device with a controller of that size when I fly not the controller.

The Air is newer tech by over a year. It's sort of like a Spark on steroids with the 3 axis gimol and 4k of the Pro series but more akin in size to a spark, it does fold by the way.

As I have a Mavic 2 ( and a lot of others) Personally I'd go the Air which is still currently on sale while the Pro has hit end of life, not that that really makes a difference as you'll still get parts and service for another 2 years not taking into account after market.

I'm not quite so sure I'd be jumping for the Air as my "only" bird ... I might, I'd have to trial one first seriously, I've only had a quick go on one, I suspect if I could only have one it would be a Mavic pro series. There is also the Mavic Pro Platinum which sits between the Pro and the Mavic 2 series but I have left it out of the discussion as it is usually a little out of the price range you are looking at. If you want to throw caution to the wind and beat the credit card to death then buy a Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom (I suspect the Pro will be more to your taste looking at your work on YouTube) but the Optical Zoom on the Zoom is not to be sniffed at either.

In the end I think it'll come down to price and deal. Being a little older you are going to get more accessories for your money in a Mavic Pro and we both know that the initial price of the bird is by no means the whole show. In reality you need 3 to 5 batteries (cheaper for the Air if you are going to buy them afterwards), I've had a look at your YouTube page so I can see you're fairly into cinematography so filters ...

That Mavic Air Flymore for $1200 North of Bris with only one hour flight time is attractive but realistically you'd get a Pro flymore with probably even more extras if you hunted enough. The Last Pros went off the shelf new around August to October last year but the model is almost two years old now so age and history would have to have a bearing also.

If portability is the paramount issue, The Air, if it's a factor but not the only criteria the extra flight time of the Pro is nice.

For me, portability is not an issue. All of my birds have a suitcase style carry solution, even my Sparks, because I travel distance over bad roads and go onto some rough job sites and while those little over shoulder carry bags that come with the flymore packs are attractive for size alone I get nervous stuffing everything into them, there are even YouTube videos on how to do it for crying out loud so I can't be the only one who isn't in love with them, and once you add a few accessories it gets harder. Of course after market hard cases are as close as ebay. It's going to make it bigger but not as big as a P3 or P4.

Read some reviews and pick your poison is the final word I guess. You know what you need better than I do. If you were going to take your P3 as well it might change the outcome but obviously as size is the reason for the upgrade the old P3 is heading for retirement.

DJI Mavic Air vs Mavic Pro: which foldable drone is better? | TechRadar

That should give you a start in making a decision. Please let me know what you decide, I'm interested in the outcome.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Final thought. Join the DJI Owner group of Australia on Facebook. There's also the "No Sherriffs" group, as both have a market place. I'm no longer a member in either (too much personality politics) but you could more than likely find a bird in your part of the world there.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Hi Brad

First answer, of the two in Darwin the Air is newer but bare, The Pro has (unspecified extras) what those extras are could be the deciding factor. Some batteries are good, More batteries are bettery. too many is just right.

It's a horses for courses decision as I see it, I'll post a link ot two below for a quick comparison and there are plenty more available with a quick web search.

In a nut shell, camera wise each has it's strengths and weaknesses. The Air has a wider field of view by quite a margin, while they go head to head for resolution options the Air is locked to 30fps for 4k while the Pro can manage the "Cinematic 24fps" ... if frame rate is not at issue for you, which it isn't for most probably the Air has the edge.

The Air is smaller and about half the weight but has less flight time than the pro (21 vs 27 minutes). The controller on the Pro might be a little more comprehensive in it's display but at that size I am looking at my device with a controller of that size when I fly not the controller.

The Air is newer tech by over a year. It's sort of like a Spark on steroids with the 3 axis gimol and 4k of the Pro series but more akin in size to a spark, it does fold by the way.

As I have a Mavic 2 ( and a lot of others) Personally I'd go the Air which is still currently on sale while the Pro has hit end of life, not that that really makes a difference as you'll still get parts and service for another 2 years not taking into account after market.

I'm not quite so sure I'd be jumping for the Air as my "only" bird ... I might, I'd have to trial one first seriously, I've only had a quick go on one, I suspect if I could only have one it would be a Mavic pro series. There is also the Mavic Pro Platinum which sits between the Pro and the Mavic 2 series but I have left it out of the discussion as it is usually a little out of the price range you are looking at. If you want to throw caution to the wind and beat the credit card to death then buy a Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom (I suspect the Pro will be more to your taste looking at your work on YouTube) but the Optical Zoom on the Zoom is not to be sniffed at either.

In the end I think it'll come down to price and deal. Being a little older you are going to get more accessories for your money in a Mavic Pro and we both know that the initial price of the bird is by no means the whole show. In reality you need 3 to 5 batteries (cheaper for the Air if you are going to buy them afterwards), I've had a look at your YouTube page so I can see you're fairly into cinematography so filters ...

That Mavic Air Flymore for $1200 North of Bris with only one hour flight time is attractive but realistically you'd get a Pro flymore with probably even more extras if you hunted enough. The Last Pros went off the shelf new around August to October last year but the model is almost two years old now so age and history would have to have a bearing also.

If portability is the paramount issue, The Air, if it's a factor but not the only criteria the extra flight time of the Pro is nice.

For me, portability is not an issue. All of my birds have a suitcase style carry solution, even my Sparks, because I travel distance over bad roads and go onto some rough job sites and while those little over shoulder carry bags that come with the flymore packs are attractive for size alone I get nervous stuffing everything into them, there are even YouTube videos on how to do it for crying out loud so I can't be the only one who isn't in love with them, and once you add a few accessories it gets harder. Of course after market hard cases are as close as ebay. It's going to make it bigger but not as big as a P3 or P4.

Read some reviews and pick your poison is the final word I guess. You know what you need better than I do. If you were going to take your P3 as well it might change the outcome but obviously as size is the reason for the upgrade the old P3 is heading for retirement.

DJI Mavic Air vs Mavic Pro: which foldable drone is better? | TechRadar

That should give you a start in making a decision. Please let me know what you decide, I'm interested in the outcome.

Regards
Ari

Thank you for the detailed response. Something to look at over a long breakfast.

I think I’m going to go with the air, no, I mean the pro, no, the air, no the pro.......

I think I’ll go with the air. As you said it’s newer, more features, and the camera quality looks identical (at least to the casual observer watching our videos). The biggest bonus was in one of the videos - that said the air is under the weight size for most countries to take it into. I don't want to have a run in with customs (or who ever it may be).

Cheers for everybody's comments.

I think I’ll go with the air.

I think it's a good choice for your needs. I was tending that way myself but wondered about the 30fps limitation for you needs and didn't want to influence you.

If you can get that one near you for $850 you could get an extra battery and still be under budget.

If possible make sure you get a look at his DJI GO 4 history for flight hours and check closely for any crash damage but it looked pretty clean in the photo.

Regards
Ari

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT