Looking for opinions here. Worth the money to upgrade from Note 3?

Reaction score
title pretty much says it all. I have a note 3. I am not sure if its worth paying 200-600 to get an additional 1-4 inches.

Since you guys are my new best friends I figured I would ask you all.

I am leaning toward thinking a 5.7 inch screen is good enough.

title pretty much says it all. I have a note 3. I am not sure if its worth paying 200-600 to get an additional 1-4 inches.

Since you guys are my new best friends I figured I would ask you all.

I am leaning toward thinking a 5.7 inch screen is good enough.
More about the horsepower than the screen size. You'll have to see if the Note starts smoking from the LB feed before making a decision. IMO I think you'll upgrade once you see the performance.

More about the horsepower than the screen size. You'll have to see if the Note starts smoking from the LB feed before making a decision. IMO I think you'll upgrade once you see the performance.

had not really thought about that. I had assumed a note 3 was a pretty good phone in that regard but I am not much on the tech stuff any more.

had not really thought about that. I had assumed a note 3 was a pretty good phone in that regard but I am not much on the tech stuff any more.
It is a good phone, just probably not for this :) Give it a try, if it sucks go get a Nexus 7 (2013) or Nvidia Shield tab.

edit: I stand corrected, the Note 3 is on the approved device list. Sorry for the bad info.

Last edited:
Laggy video feed would be it.

I like the live video feed option but if I cant use my current phone I would not be able to afford to get another device to add to my data plan. So I am hoping the old Note 3 can handle it. If not I will have to give up on the live stuff and get whatever the cheapest option is.

I like the live video feed option but if I cant use my current phone I would not be able to afford to get another device to add to my data plan. So I am hoping the old Note 3 can handle it. If not I will have to give up on the live stuff and get whatever the cheapest option is.
By "live video feed" I mean the FPV feed that shows you what the camera is pointing at, telemetry data, location, etc. If you can't depend on that reliably, then I wouldn't recommend flying at all :eek:
Just go pick up a refurbished Nexus 7 (2013) for $150 online. Not cost prohibitive considering what you just plunked down on the quad, and while does not perform as well as a newer iPad or Shield, it works according to Inspire pilots. Just wait and see if your Note can keep up. No reason to jump the gun just yet, it might be perfectly fine for your needs.

whoops!

by live video feed i meant the option to stream to youtube or facebook live while you are recording.

I totally disagree that the Note 3 wont handle what the P3 is delivering. The Note 3 has a faster CPU and more RAM than a Nexus 7 (2013) and a better GPU. Do not get a Nexus 7 in lieu of your Note 3. Your note 3 will work fine performance wise as long as you are happy with the screen size.

Can anyone confirm that a nexus 7 2 gen. Would work as fpv monitor for the p3

I'm in the same boat. Still got my old Note 3 but am considering the Nvidia Shield for HDMI out and screen recording. However, on all of the videos i've seen the feed doesn't look as smooth as on the iPad but I'm not a great fan of iOS devices as I like a removable sd card. I might just wait for the Shield 2 that's on the horizon

Those are the series 1 Shield tablets. Series 2 isn't out yet, due probably around July/August. However, either of those at the top of the list will work well, just depends how much storage you want and if you want LTE or just wifi. Both have GPS chips

Reactions: gingericeman
I need a new phone myself and was thinking about buying the note 4, while not listed in the approved devices I assume it would run everything no problem? The screen size is decent too and I was happy with the AMOLEAD screen on galaxy s4 in the sunlight, this one is better again.
What do you guys think?

Note 4 is an awesome phone. I love my phone. I really wish it would work for this application and wondering how the note 3 can work but the note 4 is not approved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.