Lens defect in new P2V Camera

vin100 said:
And what about the blurriness in the down left corner, Is that something normal?

Difficult to say given the subject matter. Take a close shot of something like a brick wall, or something similarly un-busy - trees and grass are the worst things for checking for a soft focus. You don't have to fly, just hold the aircraft (rotors off!) and press the button on the bottom of the camera to take a still. Then have a good look. If it is and you can live with it, or if it's sharp, happy flying! If you can't live with it then you probably have grounds for returning the unit for a replacement. Be aware though that a few people have reported it taking two or even three replacements before they found one that was ok. I don't know if that was a particular production run, or if it's going to be a pot luck thing going forward.

Pull_Up said:
Take a close shot of something like a brick wall, or something similarly un-busy

Thanks for the feedback. That was exactly what I was planning to do this afternoon when it stops raining. :?

vin100 said:
...Is this particular for fisheye lenses? I've taken thousand of pictures with digital cameras and can't remember I've had flares ones.... With the PV2, when it is sunny, 1 on 10 shots have a it. And what about the blurriness in the down left corner, Is that something normal?
All lenses will exhibit some degree of flare particularly when a pinpoint light source approaches or enters the edge of the lens. Anti-reflective coatings on the elements can reduce and sometimes all but eliminate flare, and yes the wider the lens the more likely you'll see flare. Lens hoods can help, but the wider the lens the bigger the hood needed.

You might experiment with mounting homemade flags to shield the sun from hitting the lens from the left & right to get an idea of what a hood can do. A hood or overhead flag can also help with prop shadows which introduces another phenomenon: banding.

Downloading & looking at your original photo over the houses, I can see blurry double edges in the horizontal detail of vertical posts and edges of buildings while on the right it's very clear. It's better than many we've seen posted on the forum, but still not as flat as it probably can be.

iDrone :ugeek:

iDrone said:
You might experiment with mounting homemade flags to shield the sun from hitting the lens
Good suggestion, thx. Will try to make some camera hat :D
As far as the blurriness is concerned, it looks like I only have it on stills, not on movies. Odd, as it's recording through the same lens...

vin100 said:
As far as the blurriness is concerned, it looks like I only have it on stills, not on movies. Odd, as it's recording through the same lens...
When shooting stills you're using the full area of the imager. When shooting 1920 or 720 you're cropped to 16:9 and no longer utilizing the entire imager. Next time you're up, pause your video recording a shoot a few snaps, then compare the images.

iDrone

If you plan to do mostly panorama visuals (stills mainly) with your Vision, consider purchasing the lens filter adapter ($15 USD) that DJI offers. I just got mine recently and it was simple to install. Then buy a set of graduated neutral density and polarizer filters (46mm) to screw into the adapter. These simple add-ons will dramatically increase the quality of the Vision's less-than-pro quality camera. The additional weight of the adapter and lens filters will reduce flight time slightly, but it will be worth it.

Be careful when mounting the filters as it's very easy to cross-thread them into the adapter!

The only way to completely avoid the "lens flare" problem is to replace the Vision's lens which is an extremely wide angle one. In my opinion, DJI made a poor engineering decision to incorporate this cheapie optic. The Good News is that a custom replacement (aftermarket modification) exists, but it is NOT INEXPENSIVE ($400 USD).

Good Luck.

hollowneck said:
If you plan to do mostly panorama visuals (stills mainly) with your Vision, consider purchasing the lens filter adapter ($15 USD) that DJI offers. I just got mine recently and it was simple to install. Then buy a set of graduated neutral density and polarizer filters (46mm) to screw into the adapter. These simple add-ons will dramatically increase the quality of the Vision's less-than-pro quality camera. The additional weight of the adapter and lens filters will reduce flight time slightly, but it will be worth it.

Be careful when mounting the filters as it's very easy to cross-thread them into the adapter!

The only way to completely avoid the "lens flare" problem is to replace the Vision's lens which is an extremely wide angle one. In my opinion, DJI made a poor engineering decision to incorporate this cheapie optic. The Good News is that a custom replacement (aftermarket modification) exists, but it is NOT INEXPENSIVE ($400 USD).

Good Luck.

Who provides the aftermarket replacement lens mod for $400 USD? Rage Camera quote $489! This seems like a rather high price for a flat optic lens that appears to be an M12 type lens.

hollowneck said:
Then buy a set of graduated neutral density and polarizer filters (46mm) to screw into the adapter. These simple add-ons will dramatically increase the quality of the Vision's less-than-pro quality camera.

Would like to see sample images, displaying this dramatic quality increase?

vin100 said:
Pull_Up said:
Take a close shot of something like a brick wall, or something similarly un-busy

Thanks for the feedback. That was exactly what I was planning to do this afternoon when it stops raining. :?

Here are some other shots showing blurry on the left side. took also some pictures as suggested.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/vqz9qq4nleub4bs/k2Y6j-NNoF

From what I've seen on the web I think it can be much better. Will see what DJI has to say. I just hope it won't be worser after I get a camera swap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.