Brand new P2v won't fly!

Reaction score
I love B&H photo... I've probably spend $50,000 there over the last 10 years, so maybe they love me too.

My wife bought me a P2V for Christmas. It was sooooo cool! I loved everything about it but the camera. The camera had lots and lots of dead pixels. So I returned it and B&H shipped me a new P2V with a camera that didn't have a single dead pixel. It was awesome for 2 months. And then it tumbled outta the sky one day. Details here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14282

I sent it back to B&H last week, and much to my surprise, then sent me a brand new P2V this week! I was expecting a 4-8 week repair. Did I mention that I love B&H!!

Well, the new one I received today doesn't fly. All four motors spin up. It gets GPS lock. But as soon as the throttle goes up, it starts tipping to the left. More throttle caused the props to hit the ground.

At idle, with the craft sitting on the ground, all four spinning... the right stick behaves as follows: Up, down, left -- all make audible changes to motor RPM. Stick to the right: nothing.

I'm sure B&H will happily replace this one, but jeez... the quality control at DJI is really terrible. And all I was testing was fundamental flight. I couldn't test the camera until the wifi repeater charged up, which takes hours and hours.

The moral of the story: You have been warned here and elsewhere that DJI doesn't really place a high priority on QC. Even a copter that has been successfully used for two months can fall out of the sky with no warning due to a manufacturing defect with three blades spinning at full speed. Think about that when you are flying near people.

And think about the economics at B&H and DJI -- B&H doesn't like products with high return rates, and DJI can't survive if their return rate is too high. I'll likely get my fourth P2V next week - and have only paid for one of them. Nobody's got profit margins high enough to cover that.

You need to go into assitant software ->basic -> Aircraft -> then click on "Quad Rotor X" (second box in from left) - then try flying your bird.

Thanks Emc...
I'm going to test the camera if I do anything other than send it back. So many reports of focus problems and dead pixels.

I shouldn't have to use Assistant to recalibrate just in order to get it to fly for the first time.

ronhiner said:
I love B&H photo... I've probably spend $50,000 there over the last 10 years, so maybe they love me too.

My wife bought me a P2V for Christmas. It was sooooo cool! I loved everything about it but the camera. The camera had lots and lots of dead pixels. So I returned it and B&H shipped me a new P2V with a camera that didn't have a single dead pixel. It was awesome for 2 months. And then it tumbled outta the sky one day. Details here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14282

I sent it back to B&H last week, and much to my surprise, then sent me a brand new P2V this week! I was expecting a 4-8 week repair. Did I mention that I love B&H!!

Well, the new one I received today doesn't fly. All four motors spin up. It gets GPS lock. But as soon as the throttle goes up, it starts tipping to the left. More throttle caused the props to hit the ground.

At idle, with the craft sitting on the ground, all four spinning... the right stick behaves as follows: Up, down, left -- all make audible changes to motor RPM. Stick to the right: nothing.

I'm sure B&H will happily replace this one, but jeez... the quality control at DJI is really terrible. And all I was testing was fundamental flight. I couldn't test the camera until the wifi repeater charged up, which takes hours and hours.

The moral of the story: You have been warned here and elsewhere that DJI doesn't really place a high priority on QC. Even a copter that has been successfully used for two months can fall out of the sky with no warning due to a manufacturing defect with three blades spinning at full speed. Think about that when you are flying near people.

And think about the economics at B&H and DJI -- B&H doesn't like products with high return rates, and DJI can't survive if their return rate is too high. I'll likely get my fourth P2V next week - and have only paid for one of them. Nobody's got profit margins high enough to cover that.

The problem could be the firmware and or needing an advanced calibration on a straight level surface.

If they are going to send you another new one you may as well see if you can pay the difference and get a Vision plus instead.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic