Legal issues?

Reaction score
Concerns about these being banned is a reason I sold my 450 and 550 but I am still considering the Vision +

Police: Ohio man's drone hindered medical chopper

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) — A man is facing charges after deputies say he was flying a video camera-equipped drone that hindered the landing of a medical helicopter at an accident scene.

Kele Stanley, of Springfield, said he's been unfairly charged and would have landed it immediately if he knew the medical helicopter was en route.

"I'm not an idiot," he said.

The hobbyist was flying the $4,000 drone over a crash scene on Saturday morning to shoot photos and video.

Authorities said both fire officials and a Clark County sheriff's deputy told Stanley to stop flying his remote-controlled aircraft because the helicopter was preparing to land, and that he refused. The helicopter was able to land and depart safely from the scene.

Stanley is facing a felony charge of obstructing official business and misdemeanor charges of misconduct at an emergency and disorderly conduct. He pleaded not guilty during a court appearance Monday and said he's going to hire a lawyer to fight the charges.

Stanley, a 31-year-old copy-machine repairman and videographer, said he flew his remote-controlled "hexacopter" about 75 feet above where a pickup had hit a tree in Moorefield Township near Springfield. He said he was shooting the video as a hobby and would have turned it over to local television stations, as he has done before.

There currently are no regulations in Ohio governing private use of the unmanned aircraft, although law enforcement agencies must get special permits to use them. The Federal Aviation Administration bars the commercial use of drones.

skypup71 said:
Authorities said both fire officials and a Clark County sheriff's deputy told Stanley to stop flying his remote-controlled aircraft because the helicopter was preparing to land, and that he refused.

The above statement, if true, was why he's having his problem. As of yet, there are NO Federal Laws or FAA Rulings on the books about UAV's. State Laws if any, would vary from State to State.

A copy of your public liability insurance certficate is one to add to your arsenal

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

From what I've read elsewhere, the pilot's story is different from the cops.
He claims he was never told of the real helicopter landing until after he had landed his bird for the second time.
Of course, the cops claim he refused to obey their orders and then cited the guy because they want to make an example out of him.
Now what are the cops gonna do when the local tv station shows up with a 100 foot aerial boom truck and send a camera up on it?
Or the local tv news shows up with their own full blown chopper?
In Los Angeles and Phoenix, you see this happen every day.

I have a very close friend who flies EMS helis in Phoenix for a living. I can tell you that this scares the living @#!t out of them. Flying into an accident scene can be stressful enough without worrying about some Yahoo exercising HIS right to be there. You have people risking their lives to save the lives of others. Land your friggin' Phantom @$$#ole. End of story.

BTW - they know about news trucks and news helis because those folks communicate and coordinate with the EMS pilots. So that "excuse" holds zero water. If you even think there might be a conflict with a full size emergency aircraft or vehicle, get the hell out of there. Period.

Well said SilentAV8R. So tired of these people who think they are entitled to fly there toys anywhere without any concern for the safety of others!

How many more times are we going to read in this web pages about idiots that are flying around and causing trouble with the authorities, if we ignore them and the picture's these people put on site then they may give up and go away? I and other people are getting cheesed off with the same thing coming up about what is being done wrong and what the legal issue is, we know what it is by now as this has been on site nearly every day. If you want to post anything that has to do with Legality find a post from before and put it in there, it will still make head lines and a new post need not be started.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers