Lead Us Not Into Temptation

M

Melvoid

Don't yell at me, I didn't do this... just telling you about it. I live in south-central Wisconsin and the snow is melting. We had a fairly warm day last week and that got everything going, combined with rain. Near my home is a small, unregulated (is that the word? no tower, no personnel) airport. At least 1/3 of the runway is under water, as are some of the buildings. I couldn't help thinking of what cool video that would be.... but I was strong and resisted the urge. It hurt.

But that could've been some cool footage...

Sigh.

Drone Operation at Non-Tower Airports

"Unmanned Aircraft. Unmanned aircraft, commonly known as drones, do not require permission or authorization to operate in Class G airspace, at a non-towered airport or a part-time-towered airport when the control tower is not operating, nor are they required to maintain radio communications with other aircraft. However, the remote PIC must always yield right-of-way to a manned aircraft and not interfere with manned aircraft operations. A manned aircraft may alter its flightpath or delay its landing or takeoff in order to avoid an unmanned aircraft that may present a potential conflict or otherwise affect the safe outcome of the flight. Because remote PICs have an obligation to yield right-of-way to all other aircraft and avoid interfering in traffic pattern operations, the FAA encourages remote PICs to avoid operating in the vicinity of airports because their aircraft generally do not require airport infrastructure. Since small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) do not operate under part 91, and this AC is intended for part 91 flight operations, additional information regarding unmanned aircraft airport operations operating under 14 CFR part 107 may be found in AC 107-2."

This Advisory Circular is from March of 2018 so things may have changed but based on the above it sounds like you would be o.k. to fly under the situation you described.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20