Latest Scoop on Using 360 VR Cams with Phantoms?

Reaction score
I have the need to shoot some 360 VR Video. Really what I need is 360 panorama VR video so that you can see what's in front and back and too the sides but I don't need to see straight down or straight up necessarily (straight up I would just be looking at the bottom of the drone.)

It doesn't need to be super high quality (720 or 1080P is good enough). Doesn't have to be perfectly stable like a 3-axis gimbal provides (as if I'm trying to shoot a feature film or something).

So what's the best bang for the buck camera that would do this that there are not to difficult/expensive mounting solutions out there for? Hoping to not have to spend more than $500 on the camera.

I know the P4 gimbal is enclosed now, BUT seems that you need the camera to hang lower than the landing gear anyway or else the landing gear will be visible in much of the picture.

Might give u some ideas
IMG_1477514193.663127.jpg

I'm considering adding 360 video/picutres to my hobby. From what I've researched, the fundamental problems (at least the ones people are talking about) are poor image/video quality, and the need to stabilizing the 360 camera. I fly a Phantom 3 advanced which is not modified in any way.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Nikon KeyMission camera for its quality, and a standalone 3-axis gimbal (I'm considering Feiyu Tech FY-WG 3-Axis Wearable Gimbal) to achieve a smooth platform. I am thinking about mounting the gimbal beneath the landing gear (which will require a creative launch platform and necessitate catch landings). The camera is about 7 ounces, and the gimbal weighs about the same. (all batteries included).

Concerns:
1. gimbal isn't specifically designed for the Nikon 360 camera. It is designed for a GoPro which is a few ounces lighter...Assuming I can figure out how to adapt the clamp mount to the Nikon camera, will I burn out my gimbal motors with a heavier or asymmetric load? (I need to mount the camera so that both forward and rear facing lenses aren't obstructed)
2. This configuration adds about a pound of mass to my P3A. I'm considering hanging dummy-loads from my P3A to see if flying with the extra mass would cause harm to the flight characteristics and airframe. I realize that I'll burn through batteries faster, but I'm OK with that, so long as I don't damage anything.

I've seen a few solutions from other members for other cameras...I haven't seen a gimbal-stabilized 360 camera yet, though. I think I want to stick to the Nikon camera, because I don't want to go through with this mod if the resulting 360 images/video isn't worthwhile.

Anyone have any experience with the Nikon Key Mission 360 camera? How about the Feiyu Tech FY-WG 3-Axis Wearable Gimbal? Anyone flying around a P3A with an additional pound of "cargo" hanging underneath it?

Thanks for any [email protected]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20