Just picked up and flew my phantom 4 and have a few questions...

Thank u guys so much for all the info and responses... 5 flights and I'm hooked, already picked up 2 more batteries and the 3 port charger - lol - I am just using my iPhone but do plan on getting an iPad to use with the phantom 4. That being said, can I get the pics on the phone directly through the app or do I need to plug in ?
Ok just worked that one out. My question now, after I transfer the pics from the app to
My phone, I format the ad card so it shows empty however if I go back to the app it appears all the pics and videos are still there although the card is empty ?

The DJI Go has a cache for the videos/ pictures.

You can clear it under the app preferences. I am not near mine or I would have taken screenshots for you.

The DJI Go has a cache for the videos/ pictures.

You can clear it under the app preferences. I am not near mine or I would have taken screenshots for you.
Thank you, definitely remember seeing that at some point, will find it again. I have noticed that when I was taking pics and pulling them from the memory card directly the pics quality seems to to significantly better than if i just pull them off the app into my phone. Is this normal ?

Yes. Downloading from the memory card pulls the original file. That file's quality in turn in based on the settings you have chosen .

The preview images/ videos are just that, and not full resolution.

Yes. Downloading from the memory card pulls the original file. That file's quality in turn in based on the settings you have chosen .

The preview images/ videos are just that, and not full resolution.
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me.

Yet another question - lol - if the phantom is flying towards me from outside to an inside covered patio the obsticle avoidance kicks in and i cant fly it towards me and land. Do the other flying modes turn off this feature or can i turn it off manually ? I'm assuming i can also just back in to my spot s these sensors are only up front right ?

I haven't tested/ used the obstacle avoidance features so I couldn't tell you for sure. Sorry. :(

Hi kinksolomon12,

I would like to share with you some thoughts about your scenario "Flying from outside to covered patio".

For me this scenario has some particularities and potential risks if you start to fly in P-GPS mode so let's first keep focus on the fly mode, and consider obstacle avoidance as secondary question.

When entering in the patio the craft might sudden miss satellites - depends the nature of covered structure - and then automatically switch to Atti mode. Be prepared with that behavior as he will not tell you in advance!

Learning to fly in Atti mode is highy recommended generally speaking. Pilot must be able to control the craft in Atti mode - bear in mind the P4 has authority to downgrade the flying mode if conditions are not satisfactory.

Also magnetometric sensors might be disturbed by the structure inside the patio, but depends what's in there. The P4 might suden behave differently as sensors reporting different values.

To verify in advance the conditions you could first walk inside the patio with the bird without flying and watch the fly mode status in Go App. But that's not giving any insight about the sensors and P4 flight attitude, as well not exactly the same conditions: personally if ensure I start directly in Atti mode and that's it!

For the obstacle avoidance vs fly mode kindly find this information:
Obstacle Avoidance - P4

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Hi kinksolomon12,

I would like to share with you some thoughts about your scenario "Flying from outside to covered patio".

For me this scenario has some particularities and potential risks if you start to fly in P-GPS mode so let's first keep focus on the fly mode, and consider obstacle avoidance as secondary question.

When entering in the patio the craft might sudden miss satellites - depends the nature of covered structure - and then automatically switch to Atti mode. Be prepared with that behavior as he will not tell you in advance!

Learning to fly in Atti mode is highy recommended generally speaking. Pilot must be able to control the craft in Atti mode - bear in mind the P4 has authority to downgrade the flying mode if conditions are not satisfactory.

Also magnetometric sensors might be disturbed by the structure inside the patio, but depends what's in there. The P4 might suden behave differently as sensors reporting different values.

To verify in advance the conditions you could first walk inside the patio with the bird without flying and watch the fly mode status in Go App. But that's not giving any insight about the sensors and P4 flight attitude, as well not exactly the same conditions: personally if ensure I start directly in Atti mode and that's it!

For the obstacle avoidance vs fly mode kindly find this information:
Obstacle Avoidance - P4

Thanks for the response and am with you, with all the info presented Atti mode seems the safest bet for indoor flying.
Yet another question - Does bright sunlight affect the Phantom 4 video transmission signal as i flew it this morning in very bright sunlight and the screen kept going in and out of reception with portions of the screen appearing green even at close range, brought it indoors where light was much lower and no issues at all ?

Mark. :)

Thanks for the response and am with you, with all the info presented Atti mode seems the safest bet for indoor flying.
Yet another question - Does bright sunlight affect the Phantom 4 video transmission signal as i flew it this morning in very bright sunlight and the screen kept going in and out of reception with portions of the screen appearing green even at close range, brought it indoors where light was much lower and no issues at all ?

Mark. :)

Sounds like your obstacle avoidance was being confused by the direct sunlight. Did your hear any beeping while this was going on?

Stuttering video and signal loss might be caused by excessive heat build up in the tablet. Keep an eye on it next time.

Stuttering video and signal loss might be caused by excessive heat build up in the tablet. Keep an eye on it next time.

Thank you & it appears that was exactly it. I'm running off an iPhone and air playing to an Apple TV while flying & the phone was getting very hot as I guess I'm asking a lot from it - lol

First off thank u guys so much for all the help in answering my questions. Forums like this are invaluable for these new pieces of technology & I couldn't be more greatful. That being said, thought I'd upload a few of my favorite shots from the past couple days of ownership. Once again I couldn't be more impressed with this unit and there is no debating why DJI are at the forefront of the drone market or as to why the founder & CEO 35 year old Frank Wang is a billionaire, well played sir - lol - Thank u guys again, I'm sure there will be more questions to follow & safe flying...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Can someone explain to me what I'm actually looking at On the DJI GO app when I'm flying. The bit in question is the long line up top that goes from green, orange and yellow and constantly moves around when flying. Does it have to do with transmission strength ? Thanks again in advance for any responses...

That is your battery level with a calculated "flight time remaining". The little dot is what the software calculates as the "point of no return" so to speak whereas your craft will just have enough battery to make it back to the home point.

Others can explain this better as I haven't looked at the software in a few weeks.

That is your battery level with a calculated "flight time remaining". The little dot is what the software calculates as the "point of no return" so to speak whereas your craft will just have enough battery to make it back to the home point.

Others can explain this better as I haven't looked at the software in a few weeks.
Appreciate that and makes a lot more sense now. I have another question pertaining to pulling the pics. When my p4 is on through the DJI go software it gives me the preview option and download option for video and photo... I have been downloading 1 or 2 as that's all I needed but today tried to do a third from the set and it said to plug into p4. Is that normal as its so convenient to just download from the phantom for the high quality original vs plugging in to it or taking out the memory card...

Bear in mind you need to manage the sdcard; if you download from the craft (must be connected of course) it will not remove from sdcard, which will grow and become full at some point, which you don't want right?

Regarding how to manage sdcard there is already some discussion in this forum.

It is much better to remove the sd card and use an adapter and download directly to your computer, much faster.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thank u guys, appears it was just a temporary glitch and is working as expected not but agreed and duely noted on the advice to ultimately take out the actual memory card and pull directly from there...
Next question - lol -
Does the P4 for some reason have less signal at night as I am typically flying in the same vacinity and am during the day it has significantly more range before the "weak signal" alert comes on ? Thank u guys again and hope everyone is have a good evening...

MarK. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav