Jumping from Nano QX to Phantom?

Reaction score
Hi Phantom Pilots!

I've recently been very interested in this quadcopter hobby. I've purchased a Nano QX as my beginner quadcopter. I primarily fly in auto stabilized mode while occasionally attempting to fly in manual mode.

My question is...is it a good idea to go from the Nano QX to a phantom? I was looking at the DJI Phantom 1. Don't think I want to invest in a phantom 2 or 3 just yet.

Are there any other quadcopters that I should consid er graduating to before getting the first phantom?

Also...do you guys suggest mastering flying in manual?

If you are OK with flying slow or want to take videos, the phantom is a nice bird. I would get P2.
You can up grade it as you go. If you want to go fast, then some thing else is in order.
I was able to fly the phantom out the box with little flight experience.
And welcome aboard.

Reactions: Wolford
If you are OK with flying slow or want to take videos, the phantom is a nice bird. I would get P2.
You can up grade it as you go. If you want to go fast, then some thing else is in order.
I was able to fly the phantom out the box with little flight experience.
And welcome aboard.

Thanks for the reply! I I'm not really looking for speed. Just some casual flying, take pictures and videos. Maybe some FPV flying but again..not fast

That was my progression too. Nano QX to Phantom 1. If you can fly the QX the phantom should be no problem. Still flying both today.

That was my progression too. Nano QX to Phantom 1. If you can fly the QX the phantom should be no problem. Still flying both today.

Awesome! Do you find the Phantom easier to control then the Nano? I can control the Nano but in higher winds it seems a little more difficult.

oh yes, much easier to fly. Phantom is heavier and with a GPS lock it's rock solid. With that being said, read the Phantom manual and watch the numerous YouTube videos on what the flight modes are and what they do, and how to use them.

As said above, if you can fly the nano, you can fly a Phantom. I have the Nano, the Nano FPV, and the Nano 3D as well as a Phantom one and a Phantom 2. Go for the Phantom 2! It is a better camera platfrom (with a gimbal) than the Phantom 1.
The Phantoms are actually easier to fly than the Nano, but I love my fleet of Nanos for the rainy days when outdoor flight is not possible.

Thanks for all the great responses guys. Very helpful!

One more...do you guys think learning to fly manual is necessary? I fly the Nano well with auto stabilization but I have difficulty flying manual. Does this matter?

I had a mate drop bye on Sunday to have a shot at riding my motorbike and while we were chatting about his ride I was keen to tell him of my new hobby of flying a Phantom2+, I have never flown or seen any other remote flying ever. It didn't take much persuading to show off my new toy and he listened intently to all the boring details about launch procedure and was fascinated beyond belief at what it was capable of doing. I asked him if he wanted a shot at the controls and took to it like a duck to water. In no time at all he had it flying around in perfect circles and handled the controls like a pro, I asked if he had flown one before and he hadn't, but had flown remote control model planes and had always been interested model flying. To cut a long story short, he was amazed at the phantom and how easy it was to fly and it's now on his to buy list.

I would go for the P2, especially with the recent price drop due to the P3 launch. It is the best time to pick one up. Yes, you can fly a phantom easily after you flown the nano.

another similar story. before i bought the phantom 2 vision + , v3, i played with the nano in the house
to get used to flying. i had no rc experience and the first day with the nano was a challenge, but
it got easier. outdoors with the nano is tough , very hard to have a day with no wind where i live,
so it was always something i had to watch. had a drift up into a tree (g/f tried flying) and i myself had
it get caught in a breeze and ended up in the neighbors driveway.
the phantom is a totally different animal. yes, it's bigger and you need to pay attention, but it really can
fly well in phantom mode. atti mode is still easy, but you have to watch it in the wind. i myself
have not flown in manual, and never did with the nano...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic