Joystick-like controller

Reaction score
Curious to see if any pilots have tried this, and your thoughts. Their only complaint is that it is a bulky setup, but I wonder if DJI has thought of coming up with a similar controller.

No not tried but do like,,I don't like how it has to plug into p4 remote,that's bit out there,,,not one for tricky space shuttle docking or fine maneuver,,,as cool as it look I think it be better for inspections for delicate positioning,,I get one one day soon when cheaper just to have a go but happy with me remote for now

No not tried but do like,,I don't like how it has to plug into p4 remote,that's bit out there,,,not one for tricky space shuttle docking or fine maneuver,,,as cool as it look I think it be better for inspections for delicate positioning,,I get one one day soon when cheaper just to have a go but happy with me remote for now
@ianzone I believe this is one of the first released, so in addition to waiting until it's cheaper, I bet they will get more advanced and get the kinks worked out. I bet DJI will eventually release one, or one will come out that doesn't need to be plugged in.

@ianzone I believe this is one of the first released, so in addition to waiting until it's cheaper, I bet they will get more advanced and get the kinks worked out. I bet DJI will eventually release one, or one will come out that doesn't need to be plugged in.
I have A FT AVIATOR CONTROLLER it works good. Takes some time to get used to. It connects by Bluetooth to your Tablet or Cellphone. To use the joystick controller you must download there App. You connect your controller to your Tablet as usual.
Give one a try sometime.

The joystick controller doesn't "suck" it is something new. Don't knock new things. It is best to give it a try. I use the FT AVIATOR CONTROLLER with my Mavic 2 and Phantom 4. It works great with both drones. It is a new fun way to fly our drones.

The joystick controller doesn't "suck" it is something new. Don't knock new things. It is best to give it a try. I use the FT AVIATOR CONTROLLER with my Mavic 2 and Phantom 4. It works great with both drones. It is a new fun way to fly our drones.
The review didn't rate the controller, if we're talking about the same product. "New" is not relevant to the discussion; it is what it is. Not my opinion and you can judge the review on its merits. Whether you like the product depends on your particular needs. I was merely trying to populate the discussion.

Is this a second generation one?
I was under the impression (perhaps in error) that it had to be hard wired to a DJI Controler or the like, not just a Bluetooth connection.
I purchased the Joystick Controller through Kickstarter. If you backed the controller they sold it to you at half price. I got one of the first controllers released by them. The Ft Aviator controller has a wireless bluetooth connection to the tablet or cellphone

Not sure if it's the same model but this review seems to suggest it sucks.
My opinion from the very start (yes only my OPINION) was that it was a solution in search of a problem. The stock DJI controller works, and it works very well. Adding another piece of equipment (via a laggy bluetooth connection none the less) in the loop is bound to cause issues.

I like Ken Heron. His videos are well done. He tells it like it is and will do honest reviews. He tried it twice and you can plainly see in his review that it just is not a precise instrument to use for any sort of flying.

What is a true shame is that they are now selling this product and it is still buggy. Paying customers should not be beta testers. These sorts of issues should have been worked out in the lab, in pre-production, and with a very thorough round of alpha and beta testing with a variety of users at different skill levels.

I did watch a YouTube clip and looked like unless clamped down to something ,the device holder flops to the left,in fist flight drone was very shaky and pilot did not trust,,that put me off,can at least rely on my remote,,it has my trust

I was under the impression (perhaps in error) that it had to be hard wired to a DJI Controler or the like, not just a Bluetooth connection.
It does have bluetooth connection to it's own app on device otherwise you will have no onscreen telemetry or cam view

Reactions: PointGeorge
I was under the same impression. But in what I've heard/read so far didn't mention it having its own app. So maybe there are two options on how to use it.

Not sure if it's the same model but this review seems to suggest it sucks.
I believe it is the same model. I know we're talking to/about more advanced pilots, but I'm wondering if a first-timer would notice the lag of it. To the untrained person, it may be a smoother way to get on-boarded with drone flying.

I was under the same impression. But in what I've heard/read so far didn't mention it having its own app. So maybe there are two options on how to use it.
This is part of the whole issue with the rather misleading marketing and sales of this product.

Yes it does need the DJI controller in order to function.
Yes you must use TWO hands in order to control the stick. Initial marketing touted its one-handed operation. Not to mention that you also need a way to hold the actual DJI controller at the same time. They do provide a lanyard to put the DJI controller around your neck. Note that most of the videos on their website use angles and techniques to hide the DJI controller.
Yes it has always used bluetooth for the connection between the stick and your mobile device. Another device in the control loop just seems like a disaster waiting to happen; especially using a laggy communications medium which was never meant for real-time critical data transfer. When you move the stick, it sends a signal to your device via bluetooth. Your device then sends the signal to the DJI controller. The DJI controller then finally sends the signal to the drone.
Yes it has always used its own app on your mobile device. You do not use the DJI Go app. You can begin to imagine the issues when there is a firmware update for the drone and controller.

I believe it is the same model. I know we're talking to/about more advanced pilots, but I'm wondering if a first-timer would notice the lag of it. To the untrained person, it may be a smoother way to get on-boarded with drone flying.
Other than beta models before the official release date, I know of only one production model.

I would beg to differ on it being smoother for the beginner. A trained and experienced pilot could handle the lag and jerky motion of the drone. A beginner would find themselves in trouble and could more easily crash a drone that doesn't respond to command inputs.

Have a look at both video reviews from Ken Heron. He is obviously a skilled pilot as can be seen from previous videos. Yet you see him struggling to have any sort of smooth response from his Phantom 4 when using this product.

@PhantomFandom thanks for the clarification!

And I didn't so much mean smoother in operation, I mean an easier transition to learn the direction. I know it takes a bit to get a hang of which joystick controls which axis point. But once you can fly one, you can fly them all! That's the beauty of DJI products, such a smooth transition across their lineup.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I have FT Aviator. It allows for some nice, smooth flying. Feels much more "natural" to me than the two-stick approach.

Also works splendidly well with my DJI Goggles + Mavic.
Cheers,

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20